Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel accessories plus east coast beach rentals

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Travel accessories plus east coast beach rentals

    Does anyone know of any TRULY wheelchair accessible beachfront condos on the east coast, specifically North or South Carolina? Most consider having an elevator to be enough. While we?ve ?managed? for a week by using pool shower and working around toilet accessibility, this is certainly not optimal. Sometimes if there is truly a property that would work it sleeps 10+. We only need room for 2.

    Second, is there any carry on luggage that will accommodate a 30-32? transfer board? We never check it and between carrying it AND the Roho it makes it difficult to juggle everything. I can?t find a rolling duffle any longer than 30?. We don?t need a giant one, just maybe a ?compartment? for the board.

    Lastly, for anyone who relies on a stocking butler - AKA stocking donner, putting on custom stockings can be tough without it! Is there anything made that would maybe collapse for travel?

    Thanks.

    #2
    Originally posted by Nickib View Post
    Does anyone know of any TRULY wheelchair accessible beachfront condos on the east coast, specifically North or South Carolina? Most consider having an elevator to be enough. While we?ve ?managed? for a week by using pool shower and working around toilet accessibility, this is certainly not optimal. Sometimes if there is truly a property that would work it sleeps 10+. We only need room for 2.

    Second, is there any carry on luggage that will accommodate a 30-32? transfer board? We never check it and between carrying it AND the Roho it makes it difficult to juggle everything. I can?t find a rolling duffle any longer than 30?. We don?t need a giant one, just maybe a ?compartment? for the board.

    Lastly, for anyone who relies on a stocking butler - AKA stocking donner, putting on custom stockings can be tough without it! Is there anything made that would maybe collapse for travel?

    Thanks.

    Are you stuck on using condos? I would do a hotel much more accessible and less stress.

    On equipment you can take anything on a plane and not be charged, I would get a cart at the airport and put it all there and push or pull with your chair.

    I would wrap up the transfer board in bubble wrap and have the airline put a tag on it with your name and address. Roho the same and leave the value open.

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you for the suggestions. We are not stuck on condos, but haven't found any hotels that are not cost-prohibitive - beachfront. We're looking to keep the weekly cost under $1000. We do have a "medical bag" for travel that is not charged, and we've even taken beachrings (mats for the sand) without being charged. I do not want the transfer board or Roho seat out of our sight/reach for fear we never see them again!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Nickib View Post
        Thank you for the suggestions. We are not stuck on condos, but haven't found any hotels that are not cost-prohibitive - beachfront. We're looking to keep the weekly cost under $1000. We do have a "medical bag" for travel that is not charged, and we've even taken beachrings (mats for the sand) without being charged. I do not want the transfer board or Roho seat out of our sight/reach for fear we never see them again!
        Most beach communities are the same in cost and summer is the high point so cost are higher.

        To try and stay in a beach town for a week for less then a $1000 is going to be really though. Cost would range $200 a night plus.

        Roho seats would fly in the over head and just leave the valve open.

        Anything else would have a name tag and if lost the airline would pay for it.

        You could but stuff in a box and have the airline seal it up also.

        N and S Carolina is a large area can you narrow down what city your looking at?

        Comment


          #5
          Topsail, Kill Devil Hills, Cape Hatteras NC; Rohoboth, DE, Virginia Beach, VA . . . we're pretty open actually, just don't need a crazy nightlife - like it quiet and we like to go in September. Thanks!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Nickib View Post
            Topsail, Kill Devil Hills, Cape Hatteras NC; Rohoboth, DE, Virginia Beach, VA . . . we're pretty open actually, just don't need a crazy nightlife - like it quiet and we like to go in September. Thanks!
            We travel a lot so if you back away from Labor day and travel mid week you will get bet rates.

            Just to give you an idea of rates per night in one area you mentioned.

            https://www.google.com/maps/search/H...0!2i7!10e1!6e3


            Do you know what features you need for accessibility?

            https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotel...RdU=mi&srb_u=1




            Only 1 Room Left!

            King Mobil Accessible Roll In Shwr Nosmk

            Oceanfront king guestroom wheelchair access. Wider doors to room and bathroom. Raised toilet with grab bars hand held shower shower chair. Lowered security viewer and latch. Strobe smoke detectors. Closed caption decode 1st 4th floors available. Private balcony and microwave and fridge

            FROM
            $145


            I tell people to check TripAdvisor and look at pictures and reviews people have posted.

            https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...d=107&filter=7

            Comment


              #7
              Hyatt is a little more but in most cases a nicer more upgraded stay...

              Also not sure but if you can qualify for discount rates like Military, Government or Corporate rate that can brings the cost down.

              Example my Wife is a retired Government worker so we still can travel with her State ID and save 30-40% off the standard rate.

              Dont forget we dont drive we always fly so you need to ask if they charge parking fees if you have a car or rent a car.

              Some hotels can add $50 a night!

              https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/vi..._seo_nam_orfxv

              Comment


                #10
                We have had good luck with this brand they are new and more accessible and nice experience.

                https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/de..._seo_nam_ilgzd

                https://www.google.com/maps/search/H...2019-09-10!2i7


                Accessible King Bed/Roll-In Shower (with sofa bed)
                This 425 sq ft ADA-compliant room includes one king-sized bed, accessible roll-in shower, and numerous ADA-compliant amenities and features.


                Less Details



                $179



                https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34008-d4412180-Reviews-Hyatt_Place_Dewey_Beach-Dewey_Beach_Delaware.html#photos;aggregationId=&al bumid=107&filter=7

                Comment


                  #11
                  When you click on the link try playing with different dates and you will be surprised by moving a trip a week back or forward, middle of the week for weekend these can make a big change in the over all cost.

                  Also check rates on a Tuesday and Wednesday and Sunday as rates change daily.

                  When you open the link on google maps you can type in places near by and get great restaurant ideas, markets and things to do!

                  Let me know how else I can help...

                  Comment


                    #12
                    rollpositive i sent you a private message
                    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

                    Comment


                      #13
                      Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
                      rollpositive i sent you a private message
                      Got it any idea when your traveling?

                      Comment


                        #14
                        Wow - that's great information! It will take me a while to sort through it! We are open on dates - like September after Labor Day because it's much less crowded - and usually less expensive. We've done the whole Saturday-Saturday condo rental and it was awesome - last time was only $650 for the week, so we're spoiled, but my husband could not use either bathroom so we are willing to pay more to have that "luxury". We love oceanfront so it's less of a schlep to the beach. We generally get up, make a good breakfast and head down to the beach for the day, snacks in hand. We don't return until the very last minute we can and ease into the dinner/evening. Sometimes we cook in, sometimes we go out. We usually do one night of a special (more expensive) dinner, but the rest is simple, even cooking fresh fish at the condo. Does this help narrow it down? We are open to sharing a house/condo with another couple, but let's face it, most able-bodied couples are taken aback with some of the special situations we find ourselves in. Thanks for the info!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X