Boat lift or davit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat lift or davit?

Curious if anyone has any experience installing a lift or davit on a boat? be it aluminum or fibreglass in the 18 to 20 foot range. Strong enough to pick a powerchair up off a dock.

Most people install the lift on the dock.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Just realized I posted in the wrong forumn.. wanted to post in Rec,sports and travel. Could it be moved pretty please

Want the boat more mobile, dock mount wont work

Comment

Keep in mind that weight transfers in boats cause instability. A pontoon boat might handle a 350# chair if lift is positioned correctly, probably in bow/front. Also, lift extended amplifies chair weight that boat must handle. Somewhere you can find the formula to calculate.
        Old paddle boats had long ramps on front for passenger/cartridge off load. With boat tied off, this might be safer.
        Any way you do it will be dangerous. Be careful. Paper is cheap. Draw your thoughts first.
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
        Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

It's going to be a challenge mounting any lift on the deck of a boat. Typically, they're set on concrete. Also, getting the boom high enough might also be an issue.

Comment

Something like this.. but Campion wont sell without there boat is the rumour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI34_8PilVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIYV1bSIwPE

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
              Something like this.. but Campion wont sell without there boat is the rumour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI34_8PilVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIYV1bSIwPE
              Just my opinion, the quad should have had a life vest on before getting on pier. Did you see how close his rear wheels got close to the edge?
              Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
              Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

I never noticed that, but I just now noticed and zoomed in on the name on lift! Spitzlift!

Comment

I live in a fishing community. They made a lift from using a hydraulic ram and motor they used for small crab boats and welded up a platform for my chair. Been using it for 35 years without a problem. Haven't even checked the hydraulic fluid and works fine. Cost me 1500 dollars back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                    I live in a fishing community. They made a lift from using a hydraulic ram and motor they used for small crab boats and welded up a platform for my chair. Been using it for 35 years without a problem. Haven't even checked the hydraulic fluid and works fine. Cost me 1500 dollars back then.
                    How big a boat? Have you got pictures?

Comment

pic is of a dockside lift that a welder frabricated and used a 12volt winch that had plenty of power and was built for around 600.00
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's a pretty skookum lift! I need to keep it mobile though.

Comment

I spent the summer on the Mississippi river on a house boat. Found the easiest was to put one chair on the dock and one on the boat and transfer. I'm a T6 para, so this might not work for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                            How big a boat? Have you got pictures?
                            Sorry if I sounded like it was for a boat Shaun; it was for my home. Just saying a hydraulic ram setup would work if setup properly.
                            The unit they made was for their small crab boats, less than 30 feet, and modified it with a platform.

Comment

I mounted an Elkhorn pool lift to the cockpit of my boat and used lifting straps to lift me in my manual chair in and out of the boat. unfortunately my solution would not work with the weight of a power chair.
                              "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

Working...
                              X