Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotel List: beds without platforms, low beds, adjustable-height beds

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hotel List: beds without platforms, low beds, adjustable-height beds

    Travelers, Hoyer users, please include as many specifics as you can: hotel name, address, phone, room no., manager name, bed height, setup of toilet, shower, sinks above (faucet type, reach) and below (clearance, pipes), etc.

    Please promote this list URL far and wide.

    Call to confirm info before booking.


    Thanks, Jim, for setting us up.
    Hotel list: Hoyer-friendly beds, low and adjustable-height beds

    Blog: https://thewheeledwonder.wordpress.com/

    #2
    https://thewheeledwonder.wordpress.c...national-park/


    The only hotel inside the Big Bend National Park, the Chisos Mountain Lodge offers simple and easy accommodations for disabled travelers. Hoyer users rejoice: no platform under the bed. Very accessible sink and toilet. Mountains and the Milky Way outside your window. See the link above for details and photos. Love this place.
    Hotel list: Hoyer-friendly beds, low and adjustable-height beds

    Blog: https://thewheeledwonder.wordpress.com/

    Comment


      #3
      Another workaround for Hoyer users


      If you can't locate a hotel bed without platforms, here's a great solution I learned here at CareCure. My wife purchased an eight-foot 4″x4″ and had the store cut it into 12-inch lengths. She glued two lengths on top of each other, so that they measured 4″x12″x8″. (First, a piece of sandpaper smoothed the rough edges and prepared the surfaces for gluing.) She did this three more times, and now has four blocks. We will place the pieces diagonally under the corners of the bed. The 8 inches of height will clear the base of the lift.



      Obviously not as good as a no-platform bed, but it works! We got to enjoy a driving vacation around Big Bend National Park and West Texas, and all three hotels where we stayed were happy to assist. (Sleep-Inn Six Flags San Antonio, with great staff!, and Quality Inn, Alpine, Texas. Skip the El Dorado Hotel in Terlingua.)


      Drawbacks:
      – The glue came unstuck. Need to try bolts, brackets, nails or something.
      – More to carry and pack.
      – You must prearrange assistance from the hotel, wait for their help checking in and then on checking out.
      Hotel list: Hoyer-friendly beds, low and adjustable-height beds

      Blog: https://thewheeledwonder.wordpress.com/

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Spitzbub View Post
        Another workaround for Hoyer users


        If you can't locate a hotel bed without platforms, here's a great solution I learned here at CareCure. My wife purchased an eight-foot 4″x4″ and had the store cut it into 12-inch lengths. She glued two lengths on top of each other, so that they measured 4″x12″x8″. (First, a piece of sandpaper smoothed the rough edges and prepared the surfaces for gluing.) She did this three more times, and now has four blocks. We will place the pieces diagonally under the corners of the bed. The 8 inches of height will clear the base of the lift.



        Obviously not as good as a no-platform bed, but it works! We got to enjoy a driving vacation around Big Bend National Park and West Texas, and all three hotels where we stayed were happy to assist. (Sleep-Inn Six Flags San Antonio, with great staff!, and Quality Inn, Alpine, Texas. Skip the El Dorado Hotel in Terlingua.)


        Drawbacks:
        – The glue came unstuck. Need to try bolts, brackets, nails or something.
        – More to carry and pack.
        – You must prearrange assistance from the hotel, wait for their help checking in and then on checking out.
        I like the concept. Will a hotel allow it and will they help assist? All you can do is call and ask.

        Comment


          #5
          Good idea, but I'm not sure it'd work with all platform beds, only because of the weight distribution. Whereas the platform bed would distribute the weight evenly along the base, propping it up in a few spots may result in some areas not receiving enough support, and boom.

          Curious though, did hotel staff have to do anything special to stick the blocks under the bed? Could someone do it themselves if need be?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Spitzbub View Post
            Another workaround for Hoyer users

            If you can't locate a hotel bed without platforms, here's a great solution I learned here at CareCure. My wife purchased an eight-foot 4″x4″ and had the store cut it into 12-inch lengths. She glued two lengths on top of each other, so that they measured 4″x12″x8″. (First, a piece of sandpaper smoothed the rough edges and prepared the surfaces for gluing.) She did this three more times, and now has four blocks. We will place the pieces diagonally under the corners of the bed. The 8 inches of height will clear the base of the lift.



            Obviously not as good as a no-platform bed, but it works! We got to enjoy a driving vacation around Big Bend National Park and West Texas, and all three hotels where we stayed were happy to assist. (Sleep-Inn Six Flags San Antonio, with great staff!, and Quality Inn, Alpine, Texas. Skip the El Dorado Hotel in Terlingua.)


            Drawbacks:
            – The glue came unstuck. Need to try bolts, brackets, nails or something.
            – More to carry and pack.
            – You must prearrange assistance from the hotel, wait for their help checking in and then on checking out.
            We did this once at a hotel near Sacramento (a Courtyard Marriott), using 6X6 blocks under the corners. My dad was laying on the bed, while I transferred my mother into bed with a mobile floor-based travel lift. There was a big crash, and the bed frame/platform (which was particle board) broke in the middle of the side of the bed! This was at about midnight. Was able to lift my mother up with the lift, lift the bed off the lift legs (trapped under the bed), back into her chair, get some more 6X6 blocks under the middle of the frame, and then get her back into bed. The next day my dad & bro-in-law (who lived nearby) repaired the broken panel, but we never told the hotel. Thank goodness my bro-in-law was nearby!

            (KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              We did this once at a hotel near Sacramento (a Courtyard Marriott), using 6X6 blocks under the corners. My dad was laying on the bed, while I transferred my mother into bed with a mobile floor-based travel lift. There was a big crash, and the bed frame/platform (which was particle board) broke in the middle of the side of the bed! This was at about midnight. Was able to lift my mother up with the lift, lift the bed off the lift legs (trapped under the bed), back into her chair, get some more 6X6 blocks under the middle of the frame, and then get her back into bed. The next day my dad & bro-in-law (who lived nearby) repaired the broken panel, but we never told the hotel. Thank goodness my bro-in-law was nearby!

              (KLD)
              Terrible experience, glad it turned out OK. At the Sleep Inn Six Flags San Antonio, we pre-arranged the arrangement with the wooden blocks, and by the time we arrived, the manager was surprised to have discovered that the bed was actually two twin beds bracketed together. So he had a cinderblock ready to place down in the center of the bed when we arrived with our wooden blocks. Staff and management were great here. Excellent two-day stay.


              Hope that we can attract hotel listings here over the years.
              Last edited by Spitzbub; 26 May 2019, 11:37 PM. Reason: More specific info
              Hotel list: Hoyer-friendly beds, low and adjustable-height beds

              Blog: https://thewheeledwonder.wordpress.com/

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                We did this once at a hotel near Sacramento (a Courtyard Marriott), using 6X6 blocks under the corners. My dad was laying on the bed, while I transferred my mother into bed with a mobile floor-based travel lift. There was a big crash, and the bed frame/platform (which was particle board) broke in the middle of the side of the bed! This was at about midnight. Was able to lift my mother up with the lift, lift the bed off the lift legs (trapped under the bed), back into her chair, get some more 6X6 blocks under the middle of the frame, and then get her back into bed. The next day my dad & bro-in-law (who lived nearby) repaired the broken panel, but we never told the hotel. Thank goodness my bro-in-law was nearby!

                (KLD)
                What an experience!!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Found The Heathman in Portland, Oregon. Their website says Hoyer lift available on request.


                  https://heathmanhotel.com/rooms/accessible-rooms/
                  Hotel list: Hoyer-friendly beds, low and adjustable-height beds

                  Blog: https://thewheeledwonder.wordpress.com/

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Spitzbub View Post
                    Found The Heathman in Portland, Oregon. Their website says Hoyer lift available on request.


                    https://heathmanhotel.com/rooms/accessible-rooms/
                    That is awesome! They need to lose the rug under/around the bed.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Spitzbub View Post
                      Found The Heathman in Portland, Oregon. Their website says Hoyer lift available on request.


                      https://heathmanhotel.com/rooms/accessible-rooms/
                      Always have to have deep bedside tables removed. These side tables take up so much room behind my chair and I end up after a transfer too far down in the length of the bed, with my feet hanging over the end of the bed. Then it is a hassle to reposition me.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                        Always have to have deep bedside tables removed. These side tables take up so much room behind my chair and I end up after a transfer too far down in the length of the bed, with my feet hanging over the end of the bed. Then it is a hassle to reposition me.
                        I agree 100%! Lees is better.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Las Vegas hotels with ceiling track lifts https://emerginghorizons.com/hotels-...g-track-lifts/

                          Branson Missouri medical company that rents Hoyer lifts ? try contacting them for hotels they know http://www.bransonmobility.net/hoyer-lift-rental.html


                          Scandinavian hotels with hoyers https://wheelchairtravel.org/scandic...ts-disability/

                          UK Ceiling Hoist Users Club http://www.chuc.org.uk/

                          more leads here https://www.google.com/search?q=Hoye...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                          Hotel list: Hoyer-friendly beds, low and adjustable-height beds

                          Blog: https://thewheeledwonder.wordpress.com/

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                            Always have to have deep bedside tables removed. These side tables take up so much room behind my chair and I end up after a transfer too far down in the length of the bed, with my feet hanging over the end of the bed. Then it is a hassle to reposition me.
                            Totally the opposite for me, we have to have 2 vents set up plus suction machine, there is never enough bedside table space. I'm easily moved up the bed on a slide sheet.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by mrb View Post
                              Totally the opposite for me, we have to have 2 vents set up plus suction machine, there is never enough bedside table space. I'm easily moved up the bed on a slide sheet.
                              Do you use a hoyer lift to get in and out of bed?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X