Petition for ADA/Access Board on hotel accessibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petition for ADA/Access Board on hotel accessibility

Please consider signing (and sharing with your friends and family as well) this petition to set Access Board standards for beds in hotel rooms billed as "accessible". Thanks!

http://chng.it/z5gMkwZzxS

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Signed.

Comment

I would add to the petition either clearance under the bed OR installation of ceiling mount lift.

The ceiling mount lift (Some Vegas hotels have) is best of all worlds as traveler needn't bring or rent a lift - Just bring your sling!

Comment

Signed and shared

Comment

Thanks, Done.
          Hotel list: Hoyer-friendly beds, low and adjustable-height beds

Blog: https://thewheeledwonder.wordpress.com/

Comment

I signed it but there seems a contradiction between adequate under-bed clearance and having a bed low enough to transfer into. I cannot count the number of hotel beds into which I have had to struggle. Occasionally the design has been such that hotel maintenance was able to lower the height, but not often. The fashion of high beds is odd and must be very annoying for lots of elderly folk as well as wheelchair users. Or just short people.

Comment

No, as long as they don't put in platform beds, there is no problem with having an appropriate height bed with enough clearance for a lift underneath...usually 4-6". The standards would also have a minimum and maximum height for the top of the mattress, similar to the standards now for toilet height. This is what you will find in most accessible cruise ship cabins, which were usually a level transfer for my mother from a power wheelchair. This is also the type of bed I have in my guest room where she stayed in my home when visiting me, when we used a mobile floor lift.

(KLD)
              Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 24 Feb 2019, 1:06 AM.
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

done

Comment

Hi KLD,

Do you know if the state of California already has something like this, i.e., accessibility standards for hotel beds? I think I remember a long time ago, a member here mentioned something about that or said that she was involved with it somehow. I think she was in the travel industry and her username started with the letter E. Anyway, I'm looking for more information about this issue with hotel beds.

Thanks, & have a good weekend.
                  Last edited by Spitzbub; 29 Mar 2019, 5:47 PM. Reason: Voice recognition error

Comment

Originally posted by Spitzbub View Post
                    Hi KLD,

Do you know if the state of California already has something like this, i.e., accessibility standards for hotel beds? I think I remember a long time ago, a member here mentioned something about that or said that she was involved with it somehow. I think she was in the travel industry and her username started with the letter E. Anyway, I'm looking for more information about this issue with hotel beds.

Thanks, I have a good weekend.
                    Here you go.

California building code requirement for a clear height of 7 inches under the bed (Section 1111B.4.3):

(2010 CBC) 1111B.4.3 Access to beds. Accessible sleeping rooms shall have a 36-inch (914 mm) clear width maneuvering space located along both sides of a bed, except that where two beds are provided, this requirement can be met by providing a 36-inch-wide (914 mm) maneuvering space located between the beds. In addition, there shall be a clear space under the bed for the use of a personal lift device. The clear space shall be on a long side of the bed adjacent to an accessible aisle. The clear space shall extend horizontally to points not more than 12 inches (305 mm) from each end of the bed, vertically not less than 7 inches (178 mm), and not less than 30 inches (762 mm) deep.

Comment

The clouds part, and wow, why is this not a part of my life. Thank you, Hacknsack! Letters going out to my representatives.

I wish they all could be California beds.

Comment

We made reservations at a hotel in Los Angeles for May. As part of the reservation process, we spoke with a Rooms Manager about the height at the top of the mattress. We were surprised to learn that at this hotel, the bed height is adjustable! She asked what height we wanted and told us that it would be adjusted for us for our arrival. Pretty cool!

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                          We made reservations at a hotel in Los Angeles for May. As part of the reservation process, we spoke with a Rooms Manager about the height at the top of the mattress. We were surprised to learn that at this hotel, the bed height is adjustable! She asked what height we wanted and told us that it would be adjusted for us for our arrival. Pretty cool!
                          That is awesome! It should be mandatory for all hotels! I spoke to the VP of Marriott Hotels. I talked to him about how hard it is to find a hotel that has a bed that will work with a hoyer lift. I sent him videos of a hoyer lift being used. I explained to him if they had atleast one room in their hotels with a bed that would work with a hoyer lift it would make life so much easier. He said he will check into it. I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                            That is awesome! It should be mandatory for all hotels! I spoke to the VP of Marriott Hotels. I talked to him about how hard it is to find a hotel that has a bed that will work with a hoyer lift. I sent him videos of a hoyer lift being used. I explained to him if they had atleast one room in their hotels with a bed that would work with a hoyer lift it would make life so much easier. He said he will check into it. I'm not holding my breath.
                            This is exactly the kind of thing I've got in mind. Would you mind sharing this person's contact info so that we can chime in? It's exciting to learn that others are dealing with the same issue, because we have been banging our heads against the wall for years about this.
                            Last edited by Spitzbub; 30 Mar 2019, 12:44 AM. Reason: Voice recognition error

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                              Here you go.

California building code requirement for a clear height of 7 inches under the bed (Section 1111B.4.3):

(2010 CBC) 1111B.4.3 Access to beds. Accessible sleeping rooms shall have a 36-inch (914 mm) clear width maneuvering space located along both sides of a bed, except that where two beds are provided, this requirement can be met by providing a 36-inch-wide (914 mm) maneuvering space located between the beds. In addition, there shall be a clear space under the bed for the use of a personal lift device. The clear space shall be on a long side of the bed adjacent to an accessible aisle. The clear space shall extend horizontally to points not more than 12 inches (305 mm) from each end of the bed, vertically not less than 7 inches (178 mm), and not less than 30 inches (762 mm) deep.
                              Yes, that is the law, but I know from experience that there is little or no enforcement or compliance with this in California. I would be great to be able to give a shout-out to those places that do comply.

Lancaster is not a place that a lot of people visit, but I was just there recently, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Lancaster, and was assigned to a ADA room. It has a non-platform bed with adequate space for a floor-based lift, although higher than the preferred 20", and all other features of the room (wide doors, grab bars, roll-in shower with reachable water controls, etc.) were great.

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X