Flying with an inflatable cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with an inflatable cushion

I will be flying soon, for the first time using an Roho cushion. Previously I had flown with Jay cushions. I?m wondering if anyone has any experience in how much to deflate a cushion as the cabin pressure decreases with altitude.
    I will be taking two cushions with me because the cushion I use in my chair is wider than an airliner seat, so I have a narrower cushion for the flight. My chair cushion will be in the overhead storage.
    Wondering if I should leave the valve open and let the pressure change to what ever will. If I do then than it has to be totally reflated.
    If someone has done this and knows how much to deflate the cushion in storage without totally deflating its please let me know.

Thanks, Dan

I deflate as necessary.

Comment

I traveled with a Jay 3 with the Roho insert for the past 3 years. The pressure change is not enough that you have to worry about it popping. Your weight on the seat it is about the same pressure as the difference between the 8000ft altitude they pressurize the cabin to and wherever you are flying from (sea level to 8kft is 3.7PSI). The main thing I recommend is checking your cushion when you land. Depending on the difference between where you took off any landed, your cushion can be over or under inflated.

Comment

Previous discussions on this site:

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...t=deflate+roho

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...t=roho+deflate

As you will notice there are various opinions on this subject, even different responses from the same people. Your best bet may be to contact Roho directly and ask them about needing to deflate the cushion during a flight.
        Tom Borcherding has been very generous with his time to answer questions from our members.

Tom Borcherding
        ROHO / Permobil
        tom.borcherding@permobil.com

Comment

My cushion gets hard as a rock which affects my neuropathic pain, and, it is not good for your skin.

Comment

I don't think the cabin pressure changes enough to effect the cushion. I just flew to Buffalo and didn't deflate my cushion and it was fine.

My suggestion would be, if you're concerned, just deflate it.
            Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

I flew to La Paz Bolivia and my Roho blew up.

Comment

Originally posted by easyway View Post
                Just curious if you were sitting on your cushion when it failed?

Not that your weight would cause it to fail, it's just that my understanding of how plane cabin's are pressurized means you would actually experience depressurization when opening the cabin door in Bolivia at 12,000 feet as cabins are generally pressured to the equivalent of 8000 feet. That would certainly be a rude welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by easyway View Post
                  Do you mean that your Roho cushion ruptured/burst like a balloon? Or do you mean that the cushion was very overinflated?

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                    Do you mean that your Roho cushion ruptured/burst like a balloon? Or do you mean that the cushion was very overinflated?
                    My cushion has never exploded. This is my first time using an inflated cushion for air travel.

Comment

Thanks for all the information! I really don?t wanna get to my destination and have a nonfunctioning question.

Comment

Yes. That would suck. My experience is as Jim stated "Adjust as needed." When you get settled on the plane, check its firmness. Once at altitude and leveled out deflate as needed to get similar inflation level. Don't forget to re inflate once landed.

Comment

I sent an email to Tom Borcherding yesterday. Here is his response:
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by gjnl; 28 Feb 2018, 1:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by badger78 View Post
                            ...I have a narrower cushion for the flight. My chair cushion will be in the overhead storage.
                            Wondering if I should leave the valve open and let the pressure change to what ever will. If I do then than it has to be totally reflated.
                            If someone has done this and knows how much to deflate the cushion in storage without totally deflating its please let me know.
                            Thanks, Dan
                            I always open the valve on the cushion in storage (even if it doesn't need to be) because I live at 5000 ft altitude (Denver) and my destination will be a different altitude, so I'm going to have to adjust it anyway. Also, the pressure change from 5000 ft to 8000 ft (when flying) does make the cushion harder (with a closed valve), and it will be more likely to get punctured in the overhead if it is inflated.

It sounds like you will be sitting on an inflated Roho on the plane seat. Even with the correct pressure (i.e. pre-deflate before takeoff), I have found that a high profile Roho sits me too high, causing 2 things: 1) my feet are off the floor so I need blankets or something (the overhead Roho?) under them; 2) the backrest pushes me forward, hurting my neck (bad posture). So I made a low profile memory foam cushion to use on the plane seat. It's not as good as a Roho, but it's ok for a 2-3 hour flight.
                            "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

Thanks for sending that GJNL. I noticed on our last flight that the high profile ROHO was pretty firm when we landed and we took air out. Now, I'll monitor it during the flight too. I'm going to upload this info to my trip folder I created on Google Drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X