No announcement yet.

Hotel beds too high, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fellow PTer has some good advice for hotel beds: he just makes the hotel take the boxspring and mattress off the frame. He's never had anyone refuse.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
      A fellow PTer has some good advice for hotel beds: he just makes the hotel take the boxspring and mattress off the frame. He's never had anyone refuse.
      That may work for the height issue, but it does not resolve the inability to use a mechanical lift for transfers because you cannot get under a platform bed or a mattress/box spring on the floor.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        That may work for the height issue, but it does not resolve the inability to use a mechanical lift for transfers because you cannot get under a platform bed or a mattress/box spring on the floor.

(KLD)
        Absolutely. This route only helps for certain injury levels.
        T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by triumph View Post
          Thanks, MRB.

Seems it might somehow be cost effective for some of the larger motels/hotels to purchase a hospital bed to have readily available in their storage arsenal. Perhaps there's a business tax deduction. Or, this might come under the heading of 'accommodation' in the Americans with Disabilities Act, in the USA.
          But I still like that you can rent one. Unfortunately you'll pay a premium if there's a minimum number of days for the rental and you only need half of that. Can't imagine many disabled travelers would want to incur such an expense for recreational travel, not connected to their work.

An insane idea I have had is for actual hospitals to take up this issue. After all, many of them have out-patient/visitor/sleep study, etc. accommodations for people; perhaps expand on this concept with a place for disabled travelers who need a true "handicapped room" with a hospital bed in it.
          I'd like to see hotels buy hospital beds even if it meant me taking my own air mattress. Can't see it happening though I only know of a handful that have installed ceiling track hoists! I just accept that my travel is expensive, didn't get any payout after my accident so I self fund but TBH the unused days of bed/mattress rental aren't a big cost in the total of support workers, rooms for them, food, etc.

Comment

Lets start sharing hotels that were able to accommodate you.

Gale South Beach
            The Saint New Orleans
            Ballagio Las Vegas
            Attached Files

Comment

Are you saying the Ballagio Las Vegas has a room with a lift and track?

The bed in the first photo is way to high for me but I could see how it would work well for people using a lift.

Comment

Yes, there are ceiling track lifts in some of the accessible rooms at several Las Vegas hotels, including Treasure Island, Mirage, Bellagio, the Wynn, Aria, and the Encore.

Here is an example at the Aria:

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Here is the one at the Wynn Encore:

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    Here is the one at the Wynn Encore:

(KLD)
                    That is remarkable! Good job Wynn Encore

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
                      Are you saying the Ballagio Las Vegas has a room with a lift and track?

The bed in the first photo is way to high for me but I could see how it would work well for people using a lift.
                      Yeah I use a Hoyer Advance so the beds are perfect for me.

Comment

On a side note to Las Vegas its one of the most accessible cities with transportation from wheelchair cabs, dial a ride, monorail, accessible rooms, good accessible venues for shows etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X