Hotel ADA Sinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by triumph View Post
    It would do my heart good to know that some organization is working on getting rid of those high beds in motels!!

Not only unsafe for many disabled persons, but what about elderly non-disabled? My ability to travel into my senior years has been totally cut short. We have devised ramps, got a used power chair with riser feature, but it's all way too complicated and not what you want on a "vacation".
    Rant over.

Would recommend that you communicate with both United Spinal Association, and with the PVA about your concerns. They have staff who are specifically gathering information about and communicating with people in Washington DC about this, although I would hazard a guess that the Access Board (which develops regulatory language related to the ADA) is among those agencies being currently decimated by the DT administration.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by triumph View Post
      It would do my heart good to know that some organization is working on getting rid of those high beds in motels!!

Not only unsafe for many disabled persons, but what about elderly non-disabled? My ability to travel into my senior years has been totally cut short. We have devised ramps, got a used power chair with riser feature, but it's all way too complicated and not what you want on a "vacation".
      Rant over.
      Not sure what hotels your staying at but rarely a problem...make sure you know what your getting before you get there. Work with the managers have them text you pictures of the room, size, bathroom etc. If you have height requirements that make life more comfortable have them measure and see if they can adjust accordingly. If not try a different brand hotel.

If you need help message me more then happy to help!

Memories of a great and comfortable trip are priceless!

Comment

Thanks for the comments!
        One of the last motels we stayed in was some years ago, a Caretel Inn. We had read comments about it having very accessible rooms, then saw a full page ad in one of the disability-related magazines we get. Made reservation and said we were 2 wheelers and need very accessible room. The room turned out to have high beds. Went to front desk and they told us they called the maintenance man, who would come and remove the bed frame, lowering the bed.
        We waited two hours, getting later in the evening, then managed to crawl/wobble/drag into bed. Maintenance never showed up, even after we called front desk a couple of times.
        Next morning called, then sent a letter to management. We were sent an apology and a voucher for a free night at any Caretel Inn. Surprisingly (?), we never used it.
        Most of our tour of the U.S. was in the 1970's before the appearance of "high beds". Then in the 80's and 90's we began to experience problems, even though we always called ahead. On some occasions we had them measure the bed height.
        Late 90's we purchased a trailer and had several modifications made, thus switching to camping instead of motels.
        Some of our more successful vacations were at St. Augustine Beach, and once when we lucked out and got a "party suite" that was huge and had a roll in shower, because the 'handicapped room' was already booked.

Comment

Working...
        X