Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bellagio and SureHands ceiling lift

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bellagio and SureHands ceiling lift

    My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon. 4 days in South Beach using my portable lift. 5 days in Vegas using Bellagio's SureHands ceiling lift. We knew they had the lift so we didn't have to worry about getting my portable lift safely there. It made traveling so much easier. And it's much easier to use vs my portable lift. I believe there are 4-5 hotels in Vegas that have the SureHands ceiling lift. Unfortunately there are no other hotels that have it. I'm sure if a hotel chain wanted to put one in all of their hotels SureHands would give them a discount. We need to make this happen. Any ideas? Who can we contact?
    Attached Files

    #2
    I have been thinking along similar lines lately, though not so much with having ceiling track lifts installed. My biggest obstacle with travel anymore is finding a hotel that does NOT have a platform style bed in their accessible rooms. Lifts cannot of course be used with platform style beds, therefore limiting where those that use lifts can stay. It is frustrating when finding a beautiful destination, but no hotel with suitable beds. I have thought about writing the major hotel chains to voice my concerns.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by landrover View Post
      I have been thinking along similar lines lately, though not so much with having ceiling track lifts installed. My biggest obstacle with travel anymore is finding a hotel that does NOT have a platform style bed in their accessible rooms. Lifts cannot of course be used with platform style beds, therefore limiting where those that use lifts can stay. It is frustrating when finding a beautiful destination, but no hotel with suitable beds. I have thought about writing the major hotel chains to voice my concerns.
      I agree it really sucks not being able to find a hotel that doesn't have a platform style bed. With a ceiling lift it wouldn't matter what kind of bed they have.

      Comment


        #4
        Where did you stay while in South Beach? I assume you could use your lift?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by landrover View Post
          Where did you stay while in South Beach? I assume you could use your lift?
          We stayed at the Gale South Beach http://galehotel.com/photos/?utm_med...0south%20beach

          If you look at the beds they are atleast 12in off of the ground (this is how all beds should be). That is so people can store things underneath them. We had no problem using my lift. One of the nicest hotels we have stayed at.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
            My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon. 4 days in South Beach using my portable lift. 5 days in Vegas using Bellagio's SureHands ceiling lift. We knew they had the lift so we didn't have to worry about getting my portable lift safely there. It made traveling so much easier. And it's much easier to use vs my portable lift. I believe there are 4-5 hotels in Vegas that have the SureHands ceiling lift. Unfortunately there are no other hotels that have it. I'm sure if a hotel chain wanted to put one in all of their hotels SureHands would give them a discount. We need to make this happen. Any ideas? Who can we contact?
            hey we are looking at the bellagio right now and actually have a maintenance guy calling me back with some questions I have with ada rooms. Anthony is a quadriplegic and cannot hold himself up we have never used this type of lift before, the guy said we could use our own sling which I am bringing but this lift you have pictured doesn't look like it is set up to be used with a sling. How is this ceiling lift used? Do you need to have upper body arm/hand control to use this lift?

            I was just going to rent a portable hoyer lift; a lot of companies do that but then all the hotels I want to stay at don't have clearance under the beds!!! This is very frustrating. We are not in a position to just lift him out and into the bed anymore . . .
            Cindy Waters
            mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
            injury march 2003

            Comment


              #7
              The one pictured is a Body Support sling from Surehands. You can see it in use on their website or on YouTube here:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grChpWLh1Lw. It does not provide any head support. We had one for my mother that we used for many years, but as she lost more core and shoulder motor control it became difficult, unsafe, and painful to use, so we replaced it with a fabric sling. Some of these are set up so the user can operate it themselves.

              The hotel would need to remove this entire part of the CTL and replace it with a spreader bar to use your own fabric sling. Is this engineer saying they will do that?

              (KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                The one pictured is a Body Support sling from Surehands. You can see it in use on their website or on YouTube here:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grChpWLh1Lw. It does not provide any head support. We had one for my mother that we used for many years, but as she lost more core and shoulder motor control it became difficult, unsafe, and painful to use, so we replaced it with a fabric sling. Some of these are set up so the user can operate it themselves.

                The hotel would need to remove this entire part of the CTL and replace it with a spreader bar to use your own fabric sling. Is this engineer saying they will do that?

                (KLD)
                Actually yes he said that we could bring our own 4 point sling. Although since we are not familiar with this type of lift and I doubt they would show us. We opted to get a room elsewhere that had ADA rooms with clearance under the beds and we will rent a regular hoyer lift delivered to the hotel. I found three hotels that have the ceiling lifts, Bellagio, Aria and Wynn; Wynn actually had a bed that moves the head up and down like a hospital bed in the "super" ADA rooms.

                I also found out that all ADA rooms at Palazzo, Venetian, Wynn and Ceasars have beds with clearance underneath them. I'll tell you trying to get people to understand what you want is a pain in the ass because 90% of the time you are talking to an out of state and one time even an out of the country call center to get any room information. You have to be persistent to get them to connect you or call someone at the property to try and get someone that knows what you are talking about!
                Cindy Waters
                mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
                injury march 2003

                Comment


                  #9
                  We always spoke to the manager or assistant manager of the hotel/motel, never to just the reservation agent, for the reasons you state.

                  (KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Great to know !! I use a a surehands in my home and I cant say enough about them .Mine allowed me to live pretty much independent ....now if I can get the money for a vacation !!! God Bless them for going a bit extra @

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by waters3 View Post
                      hey we are looking at the bellagio right now and actually have a maintenance guy calling me back with some questions I have with ada rooms. Anthony is a quadriplegic and cannot hold himself up we have never used this type of lift before, the guy said we could use our own sling which I am bringing but this lift you have pictured doesn't look like it is set up to be used with a sling. How is this ceiling lift used? Do you need to have upper body arm/hand control to use this lift?

                      I was just going to rent a portable hoyer lift; a lot of companies do that but then all the hotels I want to stay at don't have clearance under the beds!!! This is very frustrating. We are not in a position to just lift him out and into the bed anymore . . .
                      I'm a c3c4 quadriplegic. I have a Surehands ceiling lift in my home and have been using Surehands 20 plus years. It's pretty easy to use. Now I don't know if the Ballageo had the pieces needed for a sling. They also had a king size adjustable bed. Glad you found a hotel that will work for you. Have a great time!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                        We always spoke to the manager or assistant manager of the hotel/motel, never to just the reservation agent, for the reasons you state.

                        (KLD)
                        Yes but when dealing with large mega resorts it is like trying to get through pit bulls to actually talk to a live person at the property . . . and it seems those are the only places that supply this equipment.
                        Cindy Waters
                        mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
                        injury march 2003

                        Comment


                          #13
                          When booking a room always ask if this is a call center and or hotel and are they on property.

                          If calling a call center and or 3rd party company have them call the hotel direct to confirm your needs. Then call the hotel direct and confirm your needs and do ask for GM.

                          We also email at the time we book and ask for the manager to go in and take pictures of the room so we can tell if the room will work for us. The day we arrive we have housekeeping remove extra furniture like end tables, extra chairs etc to give us more room to move around.

                          Mirage hotel has a room also with a lift its called the SAC room.

                          Vegas has a lot of wheelchair cabs also so very easy to go from hotel to hotel. Just let doorman know you need one and they will have you right by the front of the cab lines.

                          Sometimes hotel bass are way to soft so try laying backwards or sideways it can make it more firm not sleeping the same direction everyone else is wearing down the bed.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X