rollercoaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rollercoaster

So can quads, or any sci patient for that matter, go on roller coasters? Assuming people would help you on and were allowed to, I mean physically capable. My blood pressure is so so which made me wonder if the inertia would cause me to pass out or something

I've rode over 50 different coasters as a para. No one helps me get on or off, but I've seen others that ride with help. My back is what gets to bothering me, but I'm also getting older

Comment

Probably depends some on your specific issues. I've ridden roller coasters/other stuff. I hope to go skydiving someday if I can get some pain under control.
      Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Comment

I'm t-10 complete and rode a coaster in DisneyWorld. Mistake indeed. Killed my back and because I didn't use a padded surface or even my cushion (feat of losing it) I had a horrible bruise on my left ischium. So much so I decided to just stay in bed in hotel on one day of my trip. I didn't want to risk getting a pressure wound.

Comment

I'm a T6 I use a jay protector. Hardest part is getting on and off.

Comment

Do not go on older coasters with a single lap bar unless you have serious arm and hand muscles. I've been on a few and almost fell out. AB people can use the muscles in their legs to anchor themselves under the bar. We can't do that.

I repeat: Do not go on older coasters with a single lap bar unless you have serious arm and hand muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
              Do not go on older coasters with a single lap bar unless you have serious arm and hand muscles. I've been on a few and almost fell out. AB people can use the muscles in their legs to anchor themselves under the bar. We can't do that.

I repeat: Do not go on older coasters with a single lap bar unless you have serious arm and hand muscles.
              most have an additional seat belt, anymore. Also, I see people pass out, go limp, and they don't fall out. So while some sort of leg movement might make you feel more secure, as long as you have all your limbs, you shouldn't fall out by design. Big restrictions are just whether your body can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                as long as you have all your limbs, you shouldn't fall out by design.
                It almost happened to me. Twice.
                Believe me, it's real. Sometimes there's a lot of room between you and the lap bar.

Be careful out there.

Comment

I'm a C6-7 and have ridden several at King's Island in Cincinnati. I second the lap belt only concern, scary!!! And even with the full pull down bar one needs to be concerned about low side walls on the cars. My wife had to hold one of my legs in on the Flight of Fear or my lower leg would probably have been forcibly removed. Friends/family helped me in/out. Not sure the parks allow that anymore.
                  I still play hard http://www.miata.net/motm/2007/thomson.html

Comment

My husband is a t-2 para complete. We just got back from Disney World. He rode the barnstormer (a kid roller coaster, but super fast). After that he opted not to ride on any thrill rides. Even with complete arm strength, he really felt like he was going to fall out. There is a difference between fun fear and full on "I might die" fear. He also didn't ride any rides he needed a lot of help getting in and out of like he did the barnstormer. I can lift him, but it made him uncomfortable (I am not sure if it was just to much trouble, or if it was having to stop the whole ride and people waiting on him or him worrying he might break his leg again).

He did later go on a star wars thing...he really enjoyed it. We were belted in. It was 3-D and the room moved. I had my feet firmly planted on the ground so I knew we weren't moving as much as it felt like we were. But he held on for dear life.

I'd imagine quads could go on some rides. But I think a lot of planning would have to go into it. As well as maybe a talk with your doc about your over all health and the "thrill".

Disney world is a great place for people with disabilities. There are a lot of rides that you can roll onto, or slide transfer onto. The staff is very well trained on disabilities. Its a nice vacation for people with disabilities. But most of the thrill rides require a more difficult transfer. Staff won't help, you have to have a companion to help.
                    - Moody

Comment

I'm late to the thread, but it's about time that many parks are opening up and hopefully relevant. The big catch-all is nearly all rides are restricted when there is "back trouble". I've asked what this means before and there is no specific standard, so I ride since doc says it's okay. I have left SI injury, so my experience varies from most.

A lot of ride requirements, as published by the manufacturer, have combinations of functioning limbs, sometimes one or both arm(s) for bracing, sometimes any two limbs, etc. I've seen arms fly, hitting others, etc. when not followed (and even sometimes from anyone). Heed these warnings, especially if a functioning leg is required! The lapbar only comment is completely valid and I've felt that I have nearly been thrown to certain death, especially from older woodies. If not for good right leg strength playing a major factor in holding me in, I would have fallen out. Such rides also tend to have the lowest seating, so are not my favorites anyway. The newer rides, however, are typically harnessed so you merely need to have a certain number of limbs at least to the knee or elbow to prevent slipping out, regardless of function.

Every park I've been to in the past few years has a guide with a grid of these various things, both online and printed. I'm excluded by their rules on only a few, but need to self-limit when sideways G forces are strong. I don't think these guides are unnecessarily cautious.

Cedar Fair parks are the most familiar to me, and guest services near the entrance to each will give you a personalized list along with their boarding pass which provides that you can wait outside of line for rides that do not have mainstreamed entrances (so most). [I must confess it is nice being able to take in a show or eat while "in line".] The big catch is no park I know of will provide assistance in transferring, but will allow anyone with you into "employee" areas when needed to assist.
                      Last edited by MicheleAdams; 04-08-2016, 03:17 PM.
                      No SCI - OA from blunt force injury to SI joint

Comment

I'm a C-7 quad and ridden everything there is with the help of a friend who picked me up and put me on the ride. Learned real quick that I needed to take a foam pad (memory foam pad that has a seat & back) to put down first. Those hard plastic seats are killer on our bodies. I've even ridden the ones where your feet dangle and never had any problems. I can see where some people might have problems if they were smaller. I'm 6'3" so that helps.
                        http://www.dsportsman.com

Comment

My gawd I'd be afraid of breaking my leg at the knees backwards on some of those loopy speed roller coasters.

It's been 33yrs since I rode one. Another regret, but glad I at least rode two before I was paralyzed as a tween.
                          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                          X