Motorcycles and Scooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycles and Scooters

I am an L1 incomplete and have recovered to the point that I think I am able to ride on two wheels again. I have been considering options, ie a motorcycle, scooter or even maybe a 3-wheeled Can Am Spyder.

Is there anyone out there that rides? I have been leaning more towards a maxi-scooter like a Honda Silverwing because of the hand controls.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

You don't have to settle just because of hand controls (unless you really like the silverwing). For a while I had a Harley Davidson (which was definitely not my style) sportster trike that I had a guy rig up a rear brake and shifter to be controlled with hand controls. It wasn't overly complicated to operate, but I'm a T-8 complete, so not having a reverse and not being able to lean spoiled a lot of the fun for me (plus I'm philosophically opposed to Harleys).

If I was physically able to support a two wheeler I wouldn't even consider a Can Am. Rigging a shifter and brake to the handlebars isn't all that difficult. People have rigged "landing gear" type training wheels to a sportbike so that completes can ride two wheelers as well.

Comment

Search on here and the net in general. There's a lot of info. Auto clutches, air shifters, jockey shifters, etc.
      Look up "the brothers of the third wheel"

Comment

Thanks for your insights funklab and baldfatdad for the info. Much appreciated.

Comment

Coolest adapted bike Ive ever seen was a KTM 690 with 2 front wheels that leaned in the turns. Google KTM 690 paraplegic and you'll find it.

Here's a glimpse:

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...wheels.892769/
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
            Coolest adapted bike Ive ever seen was a KTM 690 with 2 front wheels that leaned in the turns. Google KTM 690 paraplegic and you'll find it.

Here's a glimpse:

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...wheels.892769/

Came across this picture of the KTM mod in action. Game changer for trikes, IMO!

Last edited by Oddity; 19 Jan 2016, 7:55 PM.
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Yeah, really! Seems almost low or highside proof too.

Comment

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by sponzinn View Post
                  I am an L1 incomplete and have recovered to the point that I think I am able to ride on two wheels again. I have been considering options, ie a motorcycle, scooter or even maybe a 3-wheeled Can Am Spyder.

Is there anyone out there that rides? I have been leaning more towards a maxi-scooter like a Honda Silverwing because of the hand controls.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
                  Have had several bikes with sidecars since my injury and now I'm on my second Spyder RSS. They're all crap compared to riding on 2 wheels but the spyder has been the best considering I'm a T4 para. I don't know where u live but "The Bike Experience" web and face book page our an English outfit and are starting a program here in USA. Sounds like they'd be worth talking to if you are able to consider getting back on 2 wheels... Best of luck

Comment

Three Wheels To The World

Hi Sponzinn, I am a T-3 that has worked his way back to two wheels. Pro-racer. international rally, superbikes, stuff like that before my SCI. Over the years I experimented with adaptive controls and landing gear. I even designed a bike trailer that held my bike up at stops but allowed me to lean in turns. Eventially I decided on sidecar outfits and for the past three years have been riding around the world. For sure not as much fun as two-wheels but the speed, stability and carry capacity is better than the constant concern about holding my bike up at stops. So for me three-wheels is pretty cool. Just don't give up; your solution is out there. Sincerely, Ramey 'Coach' Stroud.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ramey View Post
                      Hi Sponzinn, I am a T-3 that has worked his way back to two wheels. Pro-racer. international rally, superbikes, stuff like that before my SCI. Over the years I experimented with adaptive controls and landing gear. I even designed a bike trailer that held my bike up at stops but allowed me to lean in turns. Eventially I decided on sidecar outfits and for the past three years have been riding around the world. For sure not as much fun as two-wheels but the speed, stability and carry capacity is better than the constant concern about holding my bike up at stops. So for me three-wheels is pretty cool. Just don't give up; your solution is out there. Sincerely, Ramey 'Coach' Stroud.
                      Thanks for the share and quote, love it! Each of us has their own solution out there. We can't just go with whatever the next person is doing, have to find our own way

Comment

Working...
                      X