Pflueger or Bison Automatic Fly Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pflueger or Bison Automatic Fly Reel

Has anyone ever used a Pflueger or Bison Automatic Fly Reel? Any experiences and/or opinions welcomed.
    http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Auto...SSSELL_PRODUCT

Only 40.00? I used to use one, liked it a lot, not sure what brand probably Pflueger. I have doubts the new one is as good until someone says so.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

The two drawbacks I find with auto reels are their weight and the lack of a good drag. If you fish for big fish with fine leaders the spring winding up as the line is taken can snap off the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru View Post
        The two drawbacks I find with auto reels are their weight and the lack of a good drag. If you fish for big fish with fine leaders the spring winding up as the line is taken can snap off the fish.
        They are heavier and not necessary. Are you fly fishing? I don't recall playing a fish off the spool fly fising. You pull the line, strip it in and let it slip back out as the fish wants to run. The line lands in a basket, your feet, lap, whatever. The automatic part of the reel is just a convenience.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
          You pull the line, strip it in and let it slip back out as the fish wants to run. The line lands in a basket, your feet, lap, whatever. The automatic part of the reel is just a convenience.
          Yeah that's how I fly fished before my SCI - but as a C4-5 quad I haven't done anything but spin fishing with an undermount battery powered trigger reel. I miss the top water strikes with floating line. Where we sail the bass have been very acrobatic going for flying bugs around our boat in the evenings and they aren't interested in our powerbait or assorted lures. Found a box of old flys and poppers from my youth that I want to try but I really need floating line and a fly rod to make em work like they should. Nonoise I have my doubts too about quality but me trying to strip line would quickly become comical. If you used one alot I may give it a gamble. Thanks!

Comment

I would not try to strip monofilament. And triggering mono on one of those would be a rats nest. And I've got good fingers most of the time. I take it you've tried the flies with bobbers? That was what my aunt used to use in streams. I never did because I went straight to fly line as soon as I learned how cool it is.

Comment

II went straight to fly line as soon as I learned how cool it is.
              Exactly - it is cool. That's why I'm trying to figure out a way to use fly line, tippets and a dry fly. Your Aunt was a smart lady and I've used that rig with some success. But I'd like to try using a fly rod, reel and floating line. Thanks for your input on a reel that might make that doable.

Comment

Originally posted by webfoot View Post
                Exactly - it is cool. That's why I'm trying to figure out a way to use fly line, tippets and a dry fly. Your Aunt was a smart lady and I've used that rig with some success. But I'd like to try using a fly rod, reel and floating line. Thanks for your input on a reel that might make that doable.
                I need to get out on the water. It's been so long I knew the reel didn't look quite right. I dug mine out. It is a Shakespeare, probably doesn't matter.

Comment

C5 no finger movement but I can grip by cocking my wrists.

I use standard fly tackle with a 4” extension or fighting butt below the reel.

To cast I trap the line between my left palm and the butt extension using my right hand on the handle to supply the power.
                  After a couple of seasons fishing 3 times a week I was able to put out a full 30yrd fly line with 2 false casts and this method has served me well for over 30 years.

Please ask if you want more info.

Comment

They are heavier and not necessary. Are you fly fishing? I don't recall playing a fish off the spool fly fising. You pull the line, strip it in and let it slip back out as the fish wants to run. The line lands in a basket, your feet, lap, whatever. The automatic part of the reel is just a convenience.
                    Hi nonoise, yes I'm fly fishing.

I always get the line back on the reel when I hook a fish otherwise it can tangle around bits of my chair or clothing.

Comment

Timaru,
                      I'm with you on the fighting butt (I've used a PVC extension in a pinch). I'm having trouble visualizing your cast or how you trap and release the line. What length and weight rod and line are using? Any chance of a video?
                      Thanks,
                      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by webfoot View Post
                        Timaru,
                        I'm with you on the fighting butt (I've used a PVC extension in a pinch). I'm having trouble visualizing your cast or how you trap and release the line. What length and weight rod and line are using? Any chance of a video?
                        Thanks, Kevin
                        While you are making that video show Kevin your reel. You can cast further than I ever could when I could standing.

Comment

If it's windy I use a 9' rod with a wf 7 line but my go to kit is another 9 footer with a 5 weight shooting taper line.

All my reels now are Orvis Battenkill large arbors.

To cast imagine your hand positions as if Spey casting with a double handed salmon rod, the key is the bottom hand. Trap the line against the fighting butt on the back stroke and on the forward stroke rock the palm of your hand off the butt to let the line slide through as you start the next back stroke your hand will automatically close on the butt trapping the line again.

I'll try and post some pics.
                          Last edited by Timaru; 7 Aug 2015, 2:28 PM.

Comment

While you are making that video show Kevin your reel. You can cast further than I ever could when I could standing.
                            Re. the casting nonoise, most ABs can't cast to save their lives! They spend a fortune on a day's trout fishing and either can't cast far enough to reach the fish or lash the water in front of them into a foam scaring every fish for miles; but will they spend out on a few lessons? Will they bollocks!

Comment

Ah so! Spey... folks use those rods for steelhead and salmon here in the NW. Didn't some fella cast 74 yards with a spey rod. Are you casting side arm? Is the rod butt anchored on your hip and what action does it have? Are you bank, boat or dock fishing? Sorry for all the questions - I'm really interest in how people adapt sports gear to suit them.

Comment

Working...
                              X