Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle training - partial paraparesis Rt. leg (below knee) - doable ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle training - partial paraparesis Rt. leg (below knee) - doable ??

Hi All -

My 1st post in years - been off the grid since 2010 so hola. I live in Dallas, Tx.

I have no muscle activity (drop foot - dead muscles below knee) on my Right leg. Walk with a carbon fiber toe-off AFO; in process of moving to a custom KAFO am currently training in. Left leg is normal.

I am desperate to get back into motorcycling after decades away from the sport.

Since (fortunately) the shifter on a motorbike is on the left side, I am ok to change gears. But the areas of concern on the Right side would naturally be:

* rear braking/balanced braking
    * balance on turning
    * keeping my Right leg/foot on the foot peg at speed/turns
    AND most importantly -
    * how to stabilize/ hold the bike/balance when stopped

Where do I begin this journey ? Does anyone in the Dallas, D/FW help with this kind of training/modification stuff (if needed) ? I would love to get my Texas Motorcycle endorsement on my Drivers License.

Any help is much appreciated. I love Motorbiking.

Thanks -

Jim
    '76 L4 GSW incomplete
    (cauda equina)

See if The Brothers of the Third Wheel still exists. I've seen a dual handle brake on the handle bar and just a teed line to both brakes with a manual adjuster. Pat Davidson use to ride with his feet held on by leather belts. I'd go with a pocket my foot fit in or a clip on bicycle pedal deal on the bottom of your boot. There are cruiser wheels and a guy on here built some out riggers that came down when he stopped.

Comment

very doable...on mine we just combined all brakes to 1 big master cylinder and hand lever on bars. I use a side car for the balance issue. It is kinda fun working out the details and there is nothing like wind therapy! Best of luck.

Comment

If you talk to these guys I think you'll be good to go

http://www.tbex.co.uk/

They're also on Face book "the bike experience"

Cheers,
        roller

Comment

Its very doable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZBWS6SMeXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvM-xd17Hs

Comment

Sorry for the crap pictures, the lighting was low and the camera I was using back then was a pos.

This is how I dealt with the feet on the Harley trike modified for me. Basically the builder took some extra long footrests (I guess that's a not-uncommon thing in the Harley world) then he wrapped some plastic around it extending up 2-3 inches. It is just about exactly the dimensions of my shoe, so once I placed my foot in it, it was only coming out if I lifted my leg straight up (so unless you're going down a set of stairs or jumping off a ramp you'd probably be okay).

This is a very bad picture of my right hand thumb brake for the rear wheels. You can't really make out anything but the cylinder, but from what I gather the guy who built it for me took a regular type right hand front brake and flipped it upside down mounting it on the left handlebar with the lever set up to be pushed forward by the thumb rather than pulled with the fingers.
            In this manner I can snatch the clutch in with my fingers, then press the rear brake with my left thumb.

I know they make dual levers for sport bikes with the levers stacked one on top of the other, but they were (for me) prohibitively expensive, but that would be another way to do it which might be more natural/safe since you're already used to braking with the right hand. For me I liked being able to brake the rear with my left while using the clutch, because I have to take my hand off the right handlebar to shift with my right hand.

Comment

I used to have a Harley with sidecar and put a proportioning valve setup on the brakes, 80% to front and 20& to rear. That was on a 3 wheeler though?

Comment

Originally posted by roller View Post
                I used to have a Harley with sidecar and put a proportioning valve setup on the brakes, 80% to front and 20& to rear. That was on a 3 wheeler though?
                did that to my sidecar but set the proportion valve about 70 on the bike rear wheel and 30 % on the sidecar wheel so when I apply the brakes hooked to 1 handle the unit continues in a straight line not pulling from side to side

Comment

Thx guys for all the feedback sorry for the late reply, been down 3 yrs. rehabing a new tibial plateau Fx..using an Ottobock C-brace with great success now but it negates using a motorbike now for all practical purposes...to much biogear onboard to maneuver (not interested in trikes/sidecars). Again gracias.
                  '76 L4 GSW incomplete
                  (cauda equina)

Comment

I think "Ghost Wheels" is out of business. Best system ever. Basically training wheels at stop or slow. At speed, they stayed on pavement but allowed you to lean in curves.

Many shiftier options. Recluse auto clutch, air shifters, ect.

Linked braking like Moto Guzzi brake pedal except with a left side bar lever. I know it's been done before
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Working...
                    X