• Show
Clear All

x2
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Getting back to all of you interested in my trip to Hawk's Caye on Islamorada in the Florida Keys. Sorry, no pictures. First, it's about a two hour drive from Key Largo, the northernmost key to Key West, the westernmost key. Hawk's Caye is about in the middle. The reviews are mixed; negative first. Hawk's Caye is a resort with lots of staff, maybe too much staff, a high-end (expensive) restaurant, and lots of undisclosed fees. It was very pricey despite a couple discounts we received. Housekeeping left much to be desired. The room and bathroom were accessible, but I thought the toilet was too high and the shower seat was under the grab bar, forcing me to slide forward another 4 inches or so. Without the grab bar behind it, the seat would have been fine. As it was, the seat was too short to allow me to feel safe. Also, there was no hand-held shower.

The positives: It was absolutely beautiful. The water was so vivid in its blues and greens it looked fake. At night there were lit torches and colored lights wrapped around the palm trees. You could eat inside or outside the restaurant, but eating outside allowed us to watch the ocean and the sea birds. There is a dolphin pool with shows where the staff feed the dolphins and give them their meds. Very charming and entertaining. Management was responsive to any special requests or concerns we had. It was so beautiful, we chose to eat all our meals at the resort as opposed to going off premises, where there are any number of good restaurants, according to the locals. Of course, this added to the expense. Within a few hundred feet of the Hawk's Caye entrance is a marina with 6 charter boats. For those of us who like to fish, you may recognize Capt. Scott Walker and his boat, Tailwalker. Again, the trips were very pricey. Half and full day trips were available. However, I never found half day trips to be worth the trouble. Wreck trips include fishing for grouper, snapper, and whatever else is hanging around the wreck. You can also do mahi-mahi trips that include fishing for black fin tuna. These trips varied from boat to boat; $1200 to $2100 for a full day mahi trip.

We went down on a Sunday and the trip took more than 6 hours from our base in Ft. Myers. The return trip on Tuesday morning was about 5 hours. Despite the negatives I would do it again. However, I would do better research regarding discounts; ask for fee information up front; and eat meals off premises. I would also save money before going, recognizing that it can be a budget breaker. I would also ask management to address the accessibility issues. Hope this helps.

Comment

I had a bathroom once where the grab bars were in the way. I called and had a maintenance man promptly come and DE-stal them for the few days I was there.
        http://www.dsportsman.com

Comment

Kind of late now but I just found this wheelchair accessible place on Duck Key;

http://www.placidaccess.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by tasty View Post
            Getting back to all of you interested in my trip to Hawk's Caye on Islamorada in the Florida Keys. Sorry, no pictures. First, it's about a two hour drive from Key Largo, the northernmost key to Key West, the westernmost key. Hawk's Caye is about in the middle. The reviews are mixed; negative first. Hawk's Caye is a resort with lots of staff, maybe too much staff, a high-end (expensive) restaurant, and lots of undisclosed fees. It was very pricey despite a couple discounts we received. Housekeeping left much to be desired. The room and bathroom were accessible, but I thought the toilet was too high and the shower seat was under the grab bar, forcing me to slide forward another 4 inches or so. Without the grab bar behind it, the seat would have been fine. As it was, the seat was too short to allow me to feel safe. Also, there was no hand-held shower.

The positives: It was absolutely beautiful. The water was so vivid in its blues and greens it looked fake. At night there were lit torches and colored lights wrapped around the palm trees. You could eat inside or outside the restaurant, but eating outside allowed us to watch the ocean and the sea birds. There is a dolphin pool with shows where the staff feed the dolphins and give them their meds. Very charming and entertaining. Management was responsive to any special requests or concerns we had. It was so beautiful, we chose to eat all our meals at the resort as opposed to going off premises, where there are any number of good restaurants, according to the locals. Of course, this added to the expense. Within a few hundred feet of the Hawk's Caye entrance is a marina with 6 charter boats. For those of us who like to fish, you may recognize Capt. Scott Walker and his boat, Tailwalker. Again, the trips were very pricey. Half and full day trips were available. However, I never found half day trips to be worth the trouble. Wreck trips include fishing for grouper, snapper, and whatever else is hanging around the wreck. You can also do mahi-mahi trips that include fishing for black fin tuna. These trips varied from boat to boat; $1200 to $2100 for a full day mahi trip.

We went down on a Sunday and the trip took more than 6 hours from our base in Ft. Myers. The return trip on Tuesday morning was about 5 hours. Despite the negatives I would do it again. However, I would do better research regarding discounts; ask for fee information up front; and eat meals off premises. I would also save money before going, recognizing that it can be a budget breaker. I would also ask management to address the accessibility issues. Hope this helps.
            Isn't there a high speed boat that travels daily between Ft.Myers and Key West?

Comment

http://ferryservicestokeywest.com

Comment

tasty

Your profile says your 103 years old, so I don't know if you would be interested but they have a big festival around halloween in the keys. I've never been. But check out fantasyfest.com. Look for the Fantasy Fest Brouchure. See the Fantasy Zone pg 50.

I think it is a 10 day event with two days for Fantasy Zone where the ladies can come dressed as "painted ladies".

Don't know about accessibility.
                TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Comment

You can go to FF painted anytime you want. The biggest thing is to read the "program". On different nights there are different parties with themes. Black and white, pimps and hoes, pirates, etc. So you have the right costumes. The best thing as far as I'm concerned is the rummage sale down town of friday. It starts at about noon and people are rummageing nakkid.

Comment

I have stayed at the Crown Plaza LaConcha http://www.laconchakeywest.com

It is located in a great area has fully accessible rooms with roll in showers as well as electric door opener with a key fob remote they give you. This was a few years back that I stayed so inquire before making arrangements.

There was also the Bone Shuttle their public transportation that had lifts on some. I was able to do the Island end to end in my power chair.

Comment

Working...
                    X