Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterskiing

Hey all!

So for those of you that don't know, I am a sit waterskiier. I have skied for about three seasons now but the first season I skied I only got out twice. Now, I am good when I am skiing but have a hard getting my ski going. Have done water starts which is where someone helps you balance until you take off. Did that for the first time today and got up but proceeded to go to one side and fall over. I have cerebral palsy and do have some trouble with balance and am getting extremely frustrated as I don't know what I am doing wrong or if progress should be this slow. I love to ski. Does anyone that has skied have any advice to offer at all?

WG

Originally posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Hey all!

So for those of you that don't know, I am a sit waterskiier. I have skied for about three seasons now but the first season I skied I only got out twice. Now, I am good when I am skiing but have a hard getting my ski going. Have done water starts which is where someone helps you balance until you take off. Did that for the first time today and got up but proceeded to go to one side and fall over. I have cerebral palsy and do have some trouble with balance and am getting extremely frustrated as I don't know what I am doing wrong or if progress should be this slow. I love to ski. Does anyone that has skied have any advice to offer at all?

WG
    How tight is your ski cage? If it is not snug, the ski will not track well until you get it on a plane. If it is not snug, you can tape an additional layer of foam to the cage to make it fit tighter. Also, make sure you keep your hands low, touch your ankles with the handle. Keep your head high, look up at the sky. Don't try to correct if you start to pull to one side, just make sure you keep your handle low, and the rope will pull the ski out of the water.

I wear dive socks, and I put my thumbs inside the top of the dive socks, that makes sure I keep the handle low until I get on a plane.

Comment

One more thing, if you are using a slalom ski, get a deep v handle. It will fit over the front of the ski and help guide the ski.

Comment

Hello Heath,
        I went skiing for the first time last week. I didn't keep the handle/rope close to the front because I felt I would fall forward. I am a T-10 complete. I did well but will have to practice the rope advice. Maybe it will help me. I have to say it is a great experience. I wish everyone the opportunity to try it. I went with a Sci group in Pa. and can't wait until next year.

Comment

Wheeliegirl, have you tried a boom to practice with. They put a pole out the side of the ski boat and you hold it to start. Gives you leverage a rope doesn't and can start at a much slower, steadier speed. Have you tried a knee board, instead of a sit ski?

Comment

Originally posted by jheath View Post
            How tight is your ski cage? If it is not snug, the ski will not track well until you get it on a plane. If it is not snug, you can tape an additional layer of foam to the cage to make it fit tighter. Also, make sure you keep your hands low, touch your ankles with the handle. Keep your head high, look up at the sky. Don't try to correct if you start to pull to one side, just make sure you keep your handle low, and the rope will pull the ski out of the water.

I wear dive socks, and I put my thumbs inside the top of the dive socks, that makes sure I keep the handle low until I get on a plane.

That's good advice. I have a deep V handle and my cage is snug for sure. I do try to correct, though. I have a question about storage though, I put it in the bag with a bit of water on it, is it going to mold?

Comment

That's good advice. I have a deep V handle and my cage is snug for sure. I do try to correct, though. I have a question about storage though, I put it in the bag with a bit of water on it, is it going to mold?
              I have put mine in a bag while it's still wet and it did not mold, but there is no gaurantee.

Comment

Spray it with Lysol.

Comment

The ski instructor I will be working with in Florida seems to think if I can keep my hands low, chin up, and shoulder square I can do it. What exactly does it mean to have shoulders square? Honestly, though, how do you know when it's time to for lack of better words, give up? I don't want to because I have invested tons of money and love the sport, but I don't want to waste peoples time, either.

Comment

The ski instructor I will be working with in Florida seems to think if I can keep my hands low, chin up, and shoulder square I can do it. What exactly does it mean to have shoulders square? Honestly, though, how do you know when it's time to for lack of better words, give up? I don't want to because I have invested tons of money and love the sport, but I don't want to waste peoples time, either.
                    If it is Ann O'Brine at UcanSki2, she can teach you to do an independent deep water start no problem. In my opinion she has the best adaptive water skiing program in the country.

Comment

Here are some photos of my wife and I skiing at the advanced lake at one of Ann's events. Para driving the boat, Para observing, and 2 Paras independent deep water start at same time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_ski_lake_2_9-09_043.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2658134Click image for larger version

Name:	water_ski_lake_2_9-09_063.JPG
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2658135Click image for larger version

Name:	water_ski_lake_2_9-09_070.JPG
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2658136Click image for larger version

Name:	water_ski_lake_2_9-09_095.JPG
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2658137Click image for larger version

Name:	water_ski_lake_2_9-09_096.JPG
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2658138

Comment

While keeping your hands low and your chin up, keeping your shoulders square means pull them back like you are standing to attention or try to "make your shoulder blades touch one another.
                        On your starts, most people have a strong side and a weak side. My strong side is rope to right side of ski so when the boat tugs, I resist it and pull my left shoulder back a little harder, by doing so I am resisting the boats pull and my ski pops right out of the water.
                        Don't be scared to question your instructor if you don't understand them, they want you to understand them and a good instructor can describe the same thing a hundred different ways. Enjoy your skiing

Comment

Thanks very much everyone!

Comment

Working...
                          X