wheelchair Motorbike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheelchair Motorbike

Hey guys, just wanted to show you guys my new toy. In 2009 I was on a motorcycle trip and got cut off by a semi truck and crashed. I ended up a T2 para but thankfully still alive. I always wanted to ride again but didn't know how. I tried a Canam Spyder and it worked but it's not the same as 2 wheels, I don't want to trash them but I would personally rather buy a convertable because it is the same thing. So I sold that and bought the same bike I crashed on, Suzuki Hayabusa. So with help from a great fabricator friend and family we hand built landing gear system. There is a guy claiming to make lading gear for sport bikes but he never answered any of my emails and his landing gear looked like ass and had weak mounting points. We designed this so it supports the frame of the bike not the tail. And then it is half the size so it's hard to see with the landing gear up not look like two ski poles stick from the back. And we used heavy wall sqaure tubing and hid the actuator under the swing arm behind the exhaust so it looks hidin. There is a ton of mods and hard work and problem solving into this and it did take a long time but here is a few pics of it. Just built the wheelchair rack for the bike last week.

This is the closet feeling to walking I had since the wreck.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Damn, you got drive.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

sweet! That's great for T2...are you incomplete? Nice ride man.
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
        sweet! That's great for T2...are you incomplete? Nice ride man.
        x2... that takes some balance trickery for a textbook T2.

right on though.

Comment

Thanks for the praise guys. That means a lot from you. My break is at T2 and I have a syrinx from c4 to t10. My phyisiatrist said I have sensory of t1 on my left and C4 on my right side cause of the syrinx. Yeah I'm a complete. It's harder to ride the slower I go, the faster the easier. I can only ride 70-80% from able bodied but its good enough for me. Nice to ride with out compromising that much. If I can put more miles on it and get comfortable I might even try to race it again. We will see.

Comment

That's awesome! Looks totally badass!

I've been putting a lot of thought into adapting one of my bikes so I can go on rides with mates. I've got a Triumph TT600 which is the actual bike i crashed on, it's since been rebuilt and I started off doing trackdays on it, just with the kliktronic gear changer and the assistance of some friends to launch/catch. I don't want to wreck it again so I've bought a 2002 R1 that I've put track fairings on (luckily because i just crashed it on the track and broke a leg!)..

Anyway, I was going to do something like the classic 'ski poles' lol. Yours looks really tidy though, I don't suppose you've got any close up pics of it? Also, what actuator did you end up using and how does the electrical side of it work?

Thanks for posting this!
            T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Comment

Make sure the wheels on your chair cannot start spinning as you are ridding. At least the back wheels for sure, if they spin at high speeds for an extended period of time you may have a problem with the bearings and or the quick release axle not coming out when you want to take it apart. Great job on the bike I am sure you will have many miles of enjoyment...

Comment

Hey suprsi. PM me your email and ill send you some pics and maybe give you some other ideas like a soiled crash cage so if you do tip over it saves your bike but more importantly your bones. People say they are bad for curving corners but my bikes lowered and still no issues.

Yes the brakes are on the chair when I leave. The wheelchair rack has been speed tested and nothin moves at all. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Very cool! I'm more surprised that a t2 can balance the bike. Good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman View Post
                    Very cool! I'm more surprised that a t2 can balance the bike. Good deal!
                    Thanks. It's not that hard to balance. The hardest part is doing everything with your hands, shifting, front rear brakes, controlling landing gear, signal lights. If your good with video games you can do it lol. But I noticed you have to use the throttle to steer more than a AB would. And also hitting the gym helps a bunch too.

Comment

Sweet setup, y'all did a good job of making it look OEM. Could you add a speed actuator somehow to make it automatic for deploying the landing gear at a low speed? Take one variable out of all the hand controlling going on.

Always like to see someone get back out there. Once a biker...
                      "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Hi Dewie, I've pm'ed you my esnail addy, thanks mate.

I've been looking into quickshifters so you don't need to use the clutch so much. I've played around on the track with clutchless shifts just backing off the throttle to unload the gearbox, kinda works but I can't do it reliably at higher revs. Techtronic do a decent looking system, and the new kliktronic box has a wire to trigger the system so you don't need the sensor on the gear linkage. I guess anything to reduce how much work your hand have to do the better. I've also got a foam pad on the tank of the R1 so I don't need to hold all my upper body weight on my arms. Really helpful!

Comment

I know there there are a few of us here in chairs from bikes, but it's such a release when riding I can't live without it.. We thought about doing a speed sensitive switch but I decieded against it. There are lots of time when coming to a intersection where you can slow down and time the traffic just right are roll thru. The landing gear is a eerie feeling once it touches down. It jerks the bike then settles down. So I prefer doing it myself. I got a pingel electric shifter, clean looking and cluthless but I'm having problems with it shifting consistantly but Pingel has been good to me so far. I'll take some pics and get back to you in a few days SI. What level are you?

Comment

Cool thanks, looks like a similar gear shifter, not heard of pingel before tho.

I'm T11 complete. I have a friend who is getting pretty serious with racing in the minitwin series, I think he's T4, he can completely kick my ass on the race track! It contstantly amazes me some of the stuff higher paras and some low quads can achieve! I have a hard enough time clinging onto a thou, let alone a 1300cc!

Comment

Dewie, very cool indeed mate! I've never gone back to two wheels but looking at getting my second spyder. Far cry from 2 wheels but it's good enough for trips that require a tent and a week or 3 on the road. Best of luck with the bike mate

Comment

Working...
                              X