Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying with a ZX-1 and/or Firefly

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
    Gordy, you could ship the firefly battery. only carrier we have found that will fly lithium is dhl. may want to try them. noone else will. as far as the sd mx2, from what i understand you can fly with that.
    We’ve (hopefully) purchased a new battery that will be there when we arrive (36V, as the “Firefly” has been significantly upgraded). Given the number of times we travel to the UK I think it’s worth it.

    (As an aside, it’s taken a Perth-based courier company 2 weeks to deliver a package to me...I know the package arrived in Perth 2 weeks ago (from the East Coast of Australia, so no international issues). But my trust in courier companies is at an all-time low at the moment!)
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by kasia View Post
      We flew to Europe with the MX2 last July. We had used the original box and showed the letter regarding the batteries tthat max mobility has on their web site.
      They asked some questions but in the ebd it went pretty sooth.This letter definitely helped.
      Did they make you hand-carry it (and the box) onto the plane? From memory, the box wasn’t small....

      I also understand that the rules regarding lithium batteries have changed yet again from last year, which is why I’m not 100% confident that it will make it with us!
      Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by elarson View Post
        I'm reviving this post to see if anyone has tips on flying with a ZX-1. We will be flying with a ZRA also, which we plan to gate check. I know that I will need to remove the lithium batteries and put them in hand baggage. I am wondering if I could gate check the ZX-1 with the ZRA attached in freewheel mode. I would detach armrests and other removable items. Any input?
        Just to update you on our latest international flight:
        - SmartDrive MX2+ was allowed on the flight (as hand baggage). Due to the higher wattage of the MX-1 version, it would NOT have been allowed on our airline (Emirates).
        - we arranged for a new lithium e-bike battery to be sent to our UK holiday address. It arrived in time (from Europe), and interestingly was couriered by DHL, so John/Fuente’s suggestion to contact DHL and get your ZX-1 batteries sent separately seems to be a good idea. I can’t think of any other way to get your batteries transported unfortunately....
        Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

        Comment


          #19
          I just flew Alaska airlines with both my Smart Drive and my Firefly. I called them in advance and they looked them up and approved it. When I arrived I gave the ticket agent a paper with all the specs of WH, weight, etc. for each and they checked in their computer for the approval. I kept them both attached to my wheelchair until right before I transferred into the aisle chair. Then they put the Smart Drive into plastic car seat bag they provide and carried it on board into the overhead compartment. I disconnected the terminal on the Firefly that controls the power so it couldn't switch on and I'm pretty sure they took it along with my manual wheelchair to the baggage compartment. When I got out of aisle chair right outside the airplane door, my wheelchair and Firefly were there and they carried my Smart Drive with my carry on bags to me.
          http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
          my website & blog

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by darlagee22 View Post
            I just flew Alaska airlines with both my Smart Drive and my Firefly. I called them in advance and they looked them up and approved it. When I arrived I gave the ticket agent a paper with all the specs of WH, weight, etc. for each and they checked in their computer for the approval. I kept them both attached to my wheelchair until right before I transferred into the aisle chair. Then they put the Smart Drive into plastic car seat bag they provide and carried it on board into the overhead compartment. I disconnected the terminal on the Firefly that controls the power so it couldn't switch on and I'm pretty sure they took it along with my manual wheelchair to the baggage compartment. When I got out of aisle chair right outside the airplane door, my wheelchair and Firefly were there and they carried my Smart Drive with my carry on bags to me.
            Sounds like there’s not much consistency between airlines! Glad to hear that all worked well for you, and the staff were so helpful - it makes a huge difference, doesn’t it?
            Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

            Comment


              #21
              glad all worked out.
              Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
              Just to update you on our latest international flight:
              - SmartDrive MX2+ was allowed on the flight (as hand baggage). Due to the higher wattage of the MX-1 version, it would NOT have been allowed on our airline (Emirates).
              - we arranged for a new lithium e-bike battery to be sent to our UK holiday address. It arrived in time (from Europe), and interestingly was couriered by DHL, so John/Fuente’s suggestion to contact DHL and get your ZX-1 batteries sent separately seems to be a good idea. I can’t think of any other way to get your batteries transported unfortunately....
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

              Comment


                #22
                This might be my first post, though I?ve got a lot of great info from this forum.

                I'm a resident of New Zealand, but currently sitting outside having a glass of beer in the unusually warm summer weather of the Scottish town I grew up in.

                I flew last week with my SmartDrive MX2 on Air New Zealand to San Fran and then a day later to London on Virgin Atlantic, in both cases the unit was in the cabin in the MaxMobility bag along with its charger and wristband. All we had to do was show the IATA paper from MaxMobility, and Virgin in San Fran even said ?if it was approved for the last leg then it must be OK?.

                in a couple of weeks we?re flying Air Canada to Vancouver and then Air NZ back to Auckland. Air Canada has been briefed and have indicated they are happy also.

                The reason I found this thread is that I am going to demo a Firefly in the morning and if it passes muster then I need to look into how I get it home. Buying without a battery and getting an eBike battery in NZ looks the most realistic, but at least that is manageable. I really wanted to try a Batec Rapid which comes with a custom battery, but there's no way I can get one before I fly home.
                T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

                I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Fen View Post
                  This might be my first post, though I?ve got a lot of great info from this forum.

                  I'm a resident of New Zealand, but currently sitting outside having a glass of beer in the unusually warm summer weather of the Scottish town I grew up in.

                  The reason I found this thread is that I am going to demo a Firefly in the morning and if it passes muster then I need to look into how I get it home. Buying without a battery and getting an eBike battery in NZ looks the most realistic, but at least that is manageable. I really wanted to try a Batec Rapid which comes with a custom battery, but there's no way I can get one before I fly home.
                  Welcome! Which Scottish town are you from (I’m from Edinburgh, but also have Aussie citizenship)? And what beer was it?!?

                  Unless you need to use the Firefly as soon as yet get back to NZ, the best way to get the Firefly there is to order it from RioMobility’s website. They ship the whole thing (including battery) for a very reasonable price ($195) and (from memory) the delivery time was very good. I suspect that the price you would pay for the Firefly excluding battery, plus the cost of a new battery in NZ, would exceed the cost from Rio plus shipping.....
                  Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                    Welcome! Which Scottish town are you from (I’m from Edinburgh, but also have Aussie citizenship)? And what beer was it?!?

                    Unless you need to use the Firefly as soon as yet get back to NZ, the best way to get the Firefly there is to order it from RioMobility’s website. They ship the whole thing (including battery) for a very reasonable price ($195) and (from memory) the delivery time was very good. I suspect that the price you would pay for the Firefly excluding battery, plus the cost of a new battery in NZ, would exceed the cost from Rio plus shipping.....
                    Thanks for the welcome.

                    The Scottish town is Montrose where I grew up, though we were in Edinburgh yesterday as it happens. It still remains my favourite Scottish location and my wife had never been there. The beer was an Italian called Menabrea that I hadn’t seen before. Not really my preferred thing but ok on a sunny afternoon. Living in Wellington I have of course become a craft beer (and coffee) snob.

                    By the time I saw your advice it was a little late, but doing the back calculation I think I'm something over 200 pounds ahead of the direct shipping price though without the battery (my Firefly is in the boot of the car, sealed in a box and the VAT will be reclaimed at Heathrow). In addition I know that I’m up for 15% GST at the NZ border, whereas I have had bad experience with importing higher value items with additional clearing fees.

                    Hopefully with around $450NZ to play with I can get a battery and still not be on the wrong side of the deal. I also got to demo the unit this way, and I’d have felt bad doing that and then buying direct rather than through the agent who laid on the demo.

                    How easy was it to find a compatible battery? I’m hoping I might even get a capacity upgrade and more weight over the wheel out of it.
                    T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

                    I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Fen View Post
                      The Scottish town is Montrose where I grew up, though we were in Edinburgh yesterday as it happens. It still remains my favourite Scottish location and my wife had never been there. The beer was an Italian called Menabrea that I hadn?t seen before. Not really my preferred thing but ok on a sunny afternoon. Living in Wellington I have of course become a craft beer (and coffee) snob.

                      By the time I saw your advice it was a little late, but doing the back calculation I think I'm something over 200 pounds ahead of the direct shipping price though without the battery (my Firefly is in the boot of the car, sealed in a box and the VAT will be reclaimed at Heathrow). In addition I know that I?m up for 15% GST at the NZ border, whereas I have had bad experience with importing higher value items with additional clearing fees.

                      Hopefully with around $450NZ to play with I can get a battery and still not be on the wrong side of the deal. I also got to demo the unit this way, and I?d have felt bad doing that and then buying direct rather than through the agent who laid on the demo.

                      How easy was it to find a compatible battery? I?m hoping I might even get a capacity upgrade and more weight over the wheel out of it.
                      Aha, Montrose, one of those places (along with Arbroath) that the train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen passes through! (I used to study and work in Aberdeen).

                      Yes, not sure about your beer choice, but I agree that NZ has some good stuff, even before craft beer took off. Thankfully Australia is catching up, albeit slowly....

                      When you get to the NZ airport, just make sure that the package is clearly labelled as disability equipment, which removes any duty payable. I’m not sure that it will get you out of GST payment, but it’s worth trying it on! Also, I don’t know what the NZ GST value declaration threshold is, but perhaps you could argue that the value of the Firefly (less battery) is beneath that threshold? (And what do they do if you can’t produce a receipt?)

                      Regarding battery compatibility, I may just have been very lucky, but we hired a battery from an e-bike hire place just outside Edinburgh, and it just slid into place perfectly. And the 2 other batteries that I’ve purchased for various reasons have also fitted easily. Just make sure you get one that slides onto a bracket that looks similar to the Firefly one. When purchasing, I’ve resorted to buying online, as I can’t find any reasonably priced ones locally. Whilst I haven’t purchased one from China, primarily because I’m not sure how they now transport them, and I’ve wanted them quickly, I wouldn’t have a problem doing so at some stage.

                      I found a Firefly dealer just outside Edinburgh (Loanhead area I think) when we were there in April, and I was looking for spares for my son’s FreeWheel. Tried to persuade them to start hiring them out, to save us dragging such things around the world...don’t think they were too keen unfortunately....
                      Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                        Aha, Montrose, one of those places (along with Arbroath) that the train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen passes through! (I used to study and work in Aberdeen).

                        Yes, not sure about your beer choice, but I agree that NZ has some good stuff, even before craft beer took off. Thankfully Australia is catching up, albeit slowly....

                        When you get to the NZ airport, just make sure that the package is clearly labelled as disability equipment, which removes any duty payable. I’m not sure that it will get you out of GST payment, but it’s worth trying it on! Also, I don’t know what the NZ GST value declaration threshold is, but perhaps you could argue that the value of the Firefly (less battery) is beneath that threshold? (And what do they do if you can’t produce a receipt?)

                        Regarding battery compatibility, I may just have been very lucky, but we hired a battery from an e-bike hire place just outside Edinburgh, and it just slid into place perfectly. And the 2 other batteries that I’ve purchased for various reasons have also fitted easily. Just make sure you get one that slides onto a bracket that looks similar to the Firefly one. When purchasing, I’ve resorted to buying online, as I can’t find any reasonably priced ones locally. Whilst I haven’t purchased one from China, primarily because I’m not sure how they now transport them, and I’ve wanted them quickly, I wouldn’t have a problem doing so at some stage.

                        I found a Firefly dealer just outside Edinburgh (Loanhead area I think) when we were there in April, and I was looking for spares for my son’s FreeWheel. Tried to persuade them to start hiring them out, to save us dragging such things around the world...don’t think they were too keen unfortunately....
                        The Loanhead dealer has a spare battery they could hire out as of yesterday

                        I'd like to buy a battery online so it’s there when I get home, but I also need to know it fits. Based on your experience I'm more confident to look for a 36v one that looks similar. Did you match the length, or does a longer one that is designed to slid onto the rod fit?
                        T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

                        I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Fen View Post
                          The Loanhead dealer has a spare battery they could hire out as of yesterday

                          I'd like to buy a battery online so it?s there when I get home, but I also need to know it fits. Based on your experience I'm more confident to look for a 36v one that looks similar. Did you match the length, or does a longer one that is designed to slid onto the rod fit?
                          My experience is based on the earlier Firefly model, which had a 24V battery. But the length of 36v batteries seems to be pretty much the same as that of the 24v...it’s the depth of the battery that increases. Does your battery connection have 4 metal tabs? If so, just check that the online one has the same (I suspect that they all do).

                          (BTW apologies if you read this response before I edited it...I thought the new Firefly version still used a 24V battery, but I see from the website that it’s now 36V)

                          I had a good chat with one of the ladies in that shop...told her I was going to get my son up the Pentland Hills that day...she looked at me as if I was mad, but we did it!
                          Last edited by Gordy1; 26 Jul 2018, 9:02 AM. Reason: I was talking bollocks...hopefully I’ve sorted it now!
                          Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                            My experience is based on the earlier Firefly model, which had a 24V battery. But the length of 36v batteries seems to be pretty much the same as that of the 24v...it?s the depth of the battery that increases. Does your battery connection have 4 metal tabs? If so, just check that the online one has the same (I suspect that they all do).

                            (BTW apologies if you read this response before I edited it...I thought the new Firefly version still used a 24V battery, but I see from the website that it?s now 36V)

                            I had a good chat with one of the ladies in that shop...told her I was going to get my son up the Pentland Hills that day...she looked at me as if I was mad, but we did it!
                            No worries, I didn?t see the post before the edit.

                            The battery for mine is indeed 36v. It has a couple of round contacts marked + and - and there?s a round socket with a centre pin for charging on the side. The included battery is something like 6.8Ah, but I?m hoping I can get closer to 10Ah to fit. That wouldn?t be allowed on aircraft, but I expect I?d take the SmartDrive in preference and both would never be allowed.

                            Worst case I?ll get a battery and carrier to match as it?s only a case or wiring in two cables. That will still be cheaper than paying the premium for the official battery.
                            Last edited by Fen; 27 Jul 2018, 4:09 AM. Reason: typo that made the meaning hard to follow
                            T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

                            I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X