Adaptive skiing...where should I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adaptive skiing...where should I go?

Where are some of the better places to learn how to mono ski? This would be my first time adaptive skiing since my injury.

Where do you live?

Comment

South Carolina. I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US.

Comment

Skiing is very difficult to learn and you'll spend most of your first 10 lessons falling over. I'd hate for you to spend thousands of $$ to fly and stay somewhere only to spend your whole time on your side.

If I were you I'd find a place close to you and then go somewhere cool once you take your taining wheels off.

I'm speaking from experience. I went out to Park City, UT way too early and wished I would have waited until I was better.

Comment

I am just beginning adaptive snow sports too and agree with Brian. I have done it locally first at a small ski area and am going to VT in March after I have cut my teeth a few times on a small mountain.

Beech Mountain Resort In North Carolina seems like it would suit you well. They have an adaptive program and it would probably be a nice place to start.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Comment

What's your injury level? Bi-skis are a lot easier to learn than a mono.

Comment

Does Beech Mountain offer adaptive lessons everyday, or only during their annual adaptive ski clinic? Not much information on their webpage.

I don't have a SCI in the traditional sense, but a progressive form of dystrophy. Wear an AFO to walk and zoom around in my ZRA for longer distances. I have both sensory and motor dysfunction.

Comment

Try Cataloochee in NC as well. They have daily lessons but you have to make reservations. I didn't realize Beech was only special events. Sorry.

I did a private lesson and it was great. I went to Roundtop in PA. You would never travel to ski there because anything in NC or closer to you would be as good or better.

Comment

PG, they have a great program at Wintergreen in Virginia. 6+/- hour drive for you.
                  http://skiwas.org/
                  "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Pg2005 View Post
                    I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US.
                    The Adaptive Sports Center in Crested Butte, CO: www.adaptivesports.org

Originally posted by brian View Post
                    Skiing is very difficult to learn and you'll spend most of your first 10 lessons falling over. I'd hate for you to spend thousands of $$ to fly and stay somewhere only to spend your whole time on your side.

If I were you I'd find a place close to you and then go somewhere cool once you take your taining wheels off.
                    This is very true. Adaptive skiing is tough, and it's like nothing else to test your balance.

However, there is merit to learning from the best from the start. I'm not just making wild claims here, but ASC is a top-notch organization with some of the best instructors available, in addition to having a well-stocked equipment room to make sure you're using gear that works best for you, vs. something that just works to get you down the mountain. They're structured to actually pay their instructors (all of whom hold multiple certifications) and not operate on a volunteer basis. That said, they'll work with anyone and have scholarship options available based on financial need.

Call 'em.

Comment

Disabled USA military veterans may also qualify to attend the National Veterans Winter Sports Clinic, which has ski instruction as well as a number of other sports. It is held annually in Colorado, although the resort may vary.

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Snow skiing is an expensive sport but if you are willing to go anywhere and turn it into half vacation and half time or more on the hill then I'd have a good look at the programs that are in town so to speak, not a half hour from town. Though most people are stating how difficult mono skiing is, I don't always agree with that. If you are in decent shape and prepare well for heading to altitude and stay well hydrated when you get there and if you have decent balance and are fortunate to be a natural at sports, then it depends on who you get for an instructor and the equipment they provide you. There are excellent facilities with great instructors and great equipment but there is also the opposite of that. I'm not here to bash any of them but from experience I would recommend Telluride and Breckenridge. I hope others will chime in and make GOOD recommendations, there are plenty out there. Point being, equipment and instruction can very much make or brake the experience.
                        You could also contact the likes of "Adaptive Adventures inc" and ask them for recommendations.
                        I hope your choice works out as I believe snow skiing is one of the greatest adaptive sports alive

Comment

Good advice from Roller. Good input from everyone really.

We are each different. It took me the better part of a weekend to get down the easiest of beginner runs. I was physically exhausted at the end of the weekend and could barely get into the Jeep to head home.

For many days after that, I fell a lot. I am now completely independent and head to the mountain on my own all the time.

Everyone is different. I know people who picked it up must faster than me. I'm T10.... pretty incomplete. Use a chair 99% of the time but can walk with canes/crutches.

I have only skied with one program but there are a number of good ones out there. As I believe Scott mentioned, having qualified/certified instructors is important. I learned from Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra. To me, they measure up in every way to what I have heard of Adaptive Sports in Crested Butte. DSES has lots of certified instructors, broad range of equipment and are just great people. They do a couple thousands lessons a year, hold mono ski camps etc.

DSES is in Mammoth Lakes CA though. Pretty far from the East Coast.

I have heard of programs that are not so great. Main thing is lack of experienced instructors from what I have read.

There is a learning curve. Go into it know that and you should be fine, whether heading to a local mountain or making a vacation of it.

Be careful.... it is addictive. I have about 20 days in so far this season. Still hopeful of making it 40-50 days this year.
                          Adaptive Sports Forums.com
                          http://adaptivesportsforums.com
                          Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

If you would have posted this a little earlier you could have signed up to go to Durango, Colorado and ski with the best!! I went last January and they paid for my plane ticket, all my skiing, and I stayed with a host family. It didn't cost me a penny! I would still contact them about being interested in skiing & they will pry work something out for you so its affordable. Totallllly worth it! Everyone is great & work with sit ski's everyday!!
                            Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Oh my!

Comment

Working...
                              X