X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a couple of interesting articles about helicopter flying:

http://glendale-cherrycreek.kdvr.com...e-flight-again

http://www.returnflight.org/home

Great point about light sport flying and the lack of medical requirement. There are at least two light sport planes with hand control systems but they don't look like they would be easy to get in to.

Comment

Hand controls for helicopter

Hey all you wanna be Helicopter pilots checkout this website about the "heli-leg" www.returnflight.org. The control looks great!!! never mind

Comment

My Dad and I are rebuilding a Ercoupe. No rudder peddles, so I won't need hand controls and it's sport pilot eligible so I won't need to pass a physical. Here's a picture of the contraption we've come up with so I can get in and out of the cockpit.

Attached Files
        Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 21 Jan 2013, 2:47 PM. Reason: Right-size photo
        Push me to the limit,
        maybe I may bend,
        but I will not be broken.
        -Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I don't see the picture. Please try again (or maybe it's just me).

I'd love to see how you get into an Ercoupe! What level of injury are you? I think the Ercoupe would be a lot of fun but I can't see how I'd ever get in one without a hoist. I'm T-4 and the even Cherokee will take some practice for me.

When do you hope to get it done? Have you flown it before?

David

Comment

David - I don't know why you can't see the picture, it shows up on my computer. We mounted a seat on the front of a fork lift that I'm using right now. I'm T-7, so about the same. If you could see the picture, you would see that we're about a year away from completion, so it will be a while. I have not flown it yet, but pilots who have flown ercoupes swear that it's as easy as driving your car, so we'll see.
            Push me to the limit,
            maybe I may bend,
            but I will not be broken.
            -Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I'm from the underwater community...but I luv flying!

http://www.facebook.com/joe.bartoszek/photos

Comment

Sure do miss It

Private Pilot with single, multi engine and instrument rating.
                Think I miss it more than sex.
                Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 21 Jan 2013, 2:43 PM. Reason: Right-size image
                "We are fools whether we dance or not - so we might as well dance."
                Japanese proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado Boy View Post
                  David - I don't know why you can't see the picture, it shows up on my computer. We mounted a seat on the front of a fork lift that I'm using right now. I'm T-7, so about the same. If you could see the picture, you would see that we're about a year away from completion, so it will be a while. I have not flown it yet, but pilots who have flown ercoupes swear that it's as easy as driving your car, so we'll see.
                  I can see it on my other computer. That looks like a nice restoration project. I've heard they are really fun to fly, too.

I was wondering if there was any way to make a little door in the side of those (like a Spitfire) or if there is load-bearing structure along that sidewall. If it had a door, you could get in it by scooting up on the wing.

Comment

Originally posted by sw1 View Post
                    Private Pilot with single, multi engine and instrument rating.
                    Think I miss it more than sex.
                    Yep, I miss sex A LOT but I'd have to say I'd choosing flying first, too!

Comment

This is the Cub I used to fly and now my son is learning to fly in it. It is bitter-sweet to watch him taking lessons in the cub. That was supposed to be me teaching him to fly in the cub and now I just sit and watch him go. I am very thankful that he still has the opportunity to fly it but, man, I have to figure out a way to get in there and control the rudder. We had a plan and I let him down by breaking my back. I will figure it out somehow!

Anyway, I hope to take him flying in the Cherokee soon. It'l be boring after flying the cub but I can't wait take him flying again!

David
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado Boy View Post
                        My Dad and I are rebuilding a Ercoupe. No rudder peddles, so I won't need hand controls and it's sport pilot eligible so I won't need to pass a physical. Here's a picture of the contraption we've come up with so I can get in and out of the cockpit.

That looks an awesome project....!

There is a guy at the airport who has an Aircoupe. He walks just fine but tells me he cannot fly a regular with plane with his feet because he "has insufficient coordination.."..?!!

Seems strange that a regular AB is that crossed up with his feet, but he swears by the Aircoupe and loves flying it. Best of luck with that project.

I was sent this video.....it is very impressive - combined rudder and throttle control on the same stick...very cool.

Also, note how he gets in - throw his legs over the lip - you might be able to do this too? (I couldn't - legs way too spastic...)

Comment

Originally posted by STOLhorse View Post
                          This is the Cub I used to fly and now my son is learning to fly in it. It is bitter-sweet to watch him taking lessons in the cub. That was supposed to be me teaching him to fly in the cub and now I just sit and watch him go. I am very thankful that he still has the opportunity to fly it but, man, I have to figure out a way to get in there and control the rudder. We had a plan and I let him down by breaking my back. I will figure it out somehow!

Anyway, I hope to take him flying in the Cherokee soon. It'l be boring after flying the cub but I can't wait take him flying again!

David

Yeah, Cherokee's are a little boring. I have rolled one and made stall turns....but I won't be doing it again. The cub looks perfect, a great back-woods plane.....I really hope you can fix a control to the rudder...

Comment

Flying stuff

Markb, Do you know how much a set of union controls would cost if they were available?

Comment

That video is great!!

I guess we'll all have to set our goals a little higher....

Comment

flew a cub. was a lot of fun but not xc material! used to fly over ppl on ground, door open to wave! was lot of fun. i hope you all reach your goal of flying again. what a wonderful experience it is. i so miss it! please keep posting. i can live vicariously!

Comment

Working...
                                X