Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pistol Suggestions for a C-7 Quad

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by DaleB View Post
    Whoa! That's a sweet 10/22 stock, not to mention the glass!

    My very first shot was with a Ruger 10/22, walnut stock, circa 1980. Those rifles are classic.

    I bought one for my 10 year old son this past Christmas, the "Take Down" model, which breaks into 2 pieces, and fits into a nice little case, easy for him to carry to and fro. Dead nutz accurate and reliable as all get out. We haven't pushed it past 25yds, so far, but with the weather cooling off it's time to head to the outdoor range, and they have 100, 200, and 500yd rifle stations! (Not that we need much more than 100yds, for the 10/22.)

    I've added an inexpensive red dot sight to the top, along with the BX-25 magazines, and it has become one of the best plinkers in the safe! Shoots for a good while between reloads (cheaply!), it's very quiet, no recoil, etc, it's just perfect for causal shooting. Add something to help hold it up, like a monopod/bipod/tripod, and I would have no problem recommending it to a quad, with a couple modifications to help make working the bolt release a little less insane (using Volquartsen aftermarket parts).

    I really like the laminated stock you're running, there. Nice fluted barrel, too. Very slick!

    Thanx i couldn't hold a pistol up so someone suggested i try benchrest shooting a small calibre rifle, i just use a sand bag setup works very well. It is a sweet shooting setup and loads of cheap fun, we only have 25 yds indoors but with the long cold winters thats just fine.

    Comment


      #17
      Dale B, Thx again for the tip on the "slide pull assist". I am kind of surprised something like this already exists. But I suppose with gun enthusiasts getting older, many women becoming interested in using a handgun and others simply lacking good digital dexterity or hand strength it may be a little more common than I thought.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxItqx_Paks

      Also, I came upon this clip loader. It only loads .22 caliber ammo though. It looks terrific for anybody. As a firearms junkie you are probably aware of it already but it looks like it would be extremely helpful for me. Check it out;

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wFM9YFbKak

      Comment


        #18
        Dale, I've got a ruger mkII SS bull barrel pistol. just curious why you put mkII parts in a mkIII? My guess is lighter and smoother trigger pull.
        "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by trekker6 View Post
          Dale, I've got a ruger mkII SS bull barrel pistol. just curious why you put mkII parts in a mkIII? My guess is lighter and smoother trigger pull.
          Yeah, the main goal was to shorten, lighten, and crisp up the trigger break. Totally unnecessary, as the stock trigger is fine, I'm just a creature of habit and really love the feel of the Volquartsen parts kits.

          Also, The MkIII came with a series of "safety" enhancements which are eliminated by using MkII parts. This creates a much safer pistol, ironically, and one far easier to break down, clean, and use. A slight reliability gain, too, but the Ruger Mk series have never suffered on that front.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

          "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

          Comment


            #20
            Yeah, I love my ruger MkII, I also have a super Blackhawk, bought both of them used for 150 each about 30 years ago, Have a Remington adl .270, bought that used for 150 25 years ago, haven't shot them since my injury, need to take them out and see, have pachmyers on the super Blackhawk, but it's still going to be iffy being a c-4 incomplete.
            "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

            Comment


              #21
              The inventor of the original pull assist was arthritic (sp?) in his hands, iirc. Lots of folks have been helped out, since!

              I use Lula loaders, and wasn't expecting much better when I clicked on the YouTube....but WOW! I'm definitely going to try one of those! I was very surprised to see how fast and consistently it worked.

              Originally posted by smokey View Post
              Dale B, Thx again for the tip on the "slide pull assist". I am kind of surprised something like this already exists. But I suppose with gun enthusiasts getting older, many women becoming interested in using a handgun and others simply lacking good digital dexterity or hand strength it may be a little more common than I thought.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxItqx_Paks

              Also, I came upon this clip loader. It only loads .22 caliber ammo though. It looks terrific for anybody. As a firearms junkie you are probably aware of it already but it looks like it would be extremely helpful for me. Check it out;

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wFM9YFbKak
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

              "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

              Comment


                #22
                There are a couple makers/variations of 22cal clip loaders I have a 50 round clip for my 10-22 so it gets. Tiring to keep reloading one at a time the only other downside is its easy to get "happy fingers" blasting thru 50rounds asap!! Great stress relieve though.... I had a ruger 22-Cal pistol with a bull barrel it could shoot amazing groups but preferred the more expensive stinger high power rounds, I used to be in law enforcement & used it to practice they supplied the ammo it was a nice arrangement!

                Comment


                  #23
                  In Massachusetts I believe we can only use handguns with a maximum of 10 rounds in the magazine.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I bought a 1 year membership at a shooting range last Friday. I brought my Glock 26 and 19. Both are 9mm. The first shot with the G26 resulted in a "stovepipe". The second shot jammed the gun with a failure to feed. The third shot jammed up the slide as it tried to override 2 rounds in the chamber.
                    I couldn't free up the slide so I tried the G19. Same thing! Failure to feed, failure to eject, stovepipes, jammed slides. Both pistols were constantly jamming up on me. It was so frustrating!

                    After a couple of minutes, an instructor came in with a student for a private lesson. I grabbed him to un-jam my guns. He was very cool and threw some oil on parts of both guns and watched me shoot a bit. He told me to stiffen my wrists and grip the gun a little tighter and higher under the beaver tail when shooting to prevent "muzzle flip" and "limp wristing" that would cause the slide to jam, failure to eject, etc.

                    I did what he said and the slide "bit" the skin between my thumb and index finger a little, lol. The shooting went better but i still had a few more jams. I had the target set at 16 ft. and shot 60 rounds but only hit the target once! I had a much better control and accuracy with a Ruger Mark IV 22caliber pistol I used during the basic firearm safety course a few months ago. But I don't think a .22 is adequate for self defense in the home.

                    Anyway, I clearly need to do a lot more shooting just to get to a respectable beginners level. Other people in the shooting lanes around me were just shredding their targets with bullet holes. My target was essentially untouched as many of my shots went into the ceiling,lol.

                    I found some YouTube videos on Glocks and "limp wristing".
                    I suppose it's like most things, I am going to SUCK at shooting for a while until I can get some experience behind me. Pretty frustrating. My right thumb bone still hurts some. I think the pistol kicked so much it bruised the bone....there isn't a lot of meat there.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqt...e_gdata_player

                    Comment


                      #25
                      You know, I feel bad for not considering a quad may have difficulty with managing the energy of a slide. Limp wristing is something that happens to a lot of folks. There is an aftermarket part, cheap too, called a beaver tail, which protects your hand from the "slide bite" that got you. Don't be discouraged, it takes a while. You've already got a couple of sweet pistols, but you might consider adding revolver. No slide! Fwiw, the .22LR is represented as well as all the other calibers in annual firearm related deaths. CCI makes some really hot (overcharged/higher velocity) .22LR. They work well.

                      Originally posted by smokey View Post
                      I bought a 1 year membership at a shooting range last Friday. I brought my Glock 26 and 19. Both are 9mm. The first shot with the G26 resulted in a "stovepipe". The second shot jammed the gun with a failure to feed. The third shot jammed up the slide as it tried to override 2 rounds in the chamber.
                      I couldn't free up the slide so I tried the G19. Same thing! Failure to feed, failure to eject, stovepipes, jammed slides. Both pistols were constantly jamming up on me. It was so frustrating!

                      After a couple of minutes, an instructor came in with a student for a private lesson. I grabbed him to un-jam my guns. He was very cool and threw some oil on parts of both guns and watched me shoot a bit. He told me to stiffen my wrists and grip the gun a little tighter and higher under the beaver tail when shooting to prevent "muzzle flip" and "limp wristing" that would cause the slide to jam, failure to eject, etc.

                      I did what he said and the slide "bit" the skin between my thumb and index finger a little, lol. The shooting went better but i still had a few more jams. I had the target set at 16 ft. and shot 60 rounds but only hit the target once! I had a much better control and accuracy with a Ruger Mark IV 22caliber pistol I used during the basic firearm safety course a few months ago. But I don't think a .22 is adequate for self defense in the home.

                      Anyway, I clearly need to do a lot more shooting just to get to a respectable beginners level. Other people in the shooting lanes around me were just shredding their targets with bullet holes. My target was essentially untouched as many of my shots went into the ceiling,lol.

                      I found some YouTube videos on Glocks and "limp wristing".
                      I suppose it's like most things, I am going to SUCK at shooting for a while until I can get some experience behind me. Pretty frustrating. My right thumb bone still hurts some. I think the pistol kicked so much it bruised the bone....there isn't a lot of meat there.

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqt...e_gdata_player
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                      "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Dale, No worries...not your fault at all. I'm sure I will find some device or modification or grip the pistols differently so I will have a better outcome next time. I am really quite surprised at the noise and power of a 9mm pistol. I'll keep trying.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I'm with Dale that you should probably give some good attention to high-quality .22 ammo in your Ruger. Another possible option I've heard good reports about, but haven't had a chance to try out personally yet, is a .22 Magnum pistol from Keltec, the PMR-30. Like a lot of guns it's probably hard to find right now, but the folks I've heard from that own one are pretty happy with it.

                          http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by smokey View Post
                            The first shot with the G26 resulted in a "stovepipe". The second shot jammed the gun with a failure to feed. The third shot jammed up the slide as it tried to override 2 rounds in the chamber.
                            I couldn't free up the slide so I tried the G19. Same thing! Failure to feed, failure to eject, stovepipes, jammed slides. Both pistols were constantly jamming up on me. It was so frustrating!
                            Definitely limp wrist. +1 for buying the CCI ammo. Check the velocity marking on the side of any .22 ammo you buy. I don't shoot less than 1070 ft/s. The hotter the ammo, the more energy it will have to eject. Here's what's helped me improve my grip strength and shooting - - a cordless drill. I got into woodworking and at first I couldn't squeeze the drill with my trigger finger. After numerous projects and countless screws, I can just about fully squeeze on my right hand trigger finger. Which used to seem impossible. The drill is also better than continually dry firing your pistol and won't scare the other people in the house..

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I bought a Sig Sauer p238 chambered in .380 a couple months ago. It is really a miniature 1911 style pistol. The trigger pull weight was around 8lbs. so I had a guy reduce it down to 5lbs. The extended magazine hold 7 rounds and gives me a little more of a grip. The slide is such that I am able to "rack the slide" or "charge it" with the grip on my left hand and without any assistive devices such as a Slide Pull Assist or Charging Handle. I also put on a Crimson Trace laser.

                              Yesterday I went back to the indoor range with the Sig p238 and my Glock 26 and 19. With the Sig, I pounded 35 rounds into the target about 10 ft. away without a hiccup. Now I am really new at shooting but what a sweet feeling! I then got out my Glock 26 and had the gun jam after 1 shot, failure to eject, failure to feed and so on. So frustrating. The guy I was with tried my Glock 26 and bam, bam, bam, bam, bam......no problems for him. I then got out my Glock 19.....same problems for me. My friend then tried the Glock 19 and he rattled off 4-5 shots flawlessly. So I'm obviously the problem....probably "limp wristing" even though I tried the grip and stabilize the Glocks as tightly as I could. So I bought range time with an instructor at the facility for $50. If I can't get any positive results with the Glocks after that I assume I will just sell them.

                              Anyway, right now that Sig Sauer p238 seems to be the pistol for me. I shot some FMJ 95 grain Federal American Eagle ammo and some Hornady 90 grain Critical Defense ammo without a problem. It was a little difficult to activate the CT laser while gripping the pistol but hopefully it will become a non-issue. I have a lot to learn about firearms and I need a lot more range time with different ammo. But finally I think I've found a manageable pistol. I've read a lot about the ongoing debate between the effectiveness of a .380 vs 9mm pistols. But anyway carrying a .380 is far more effective than the 9mm or .45 pistol that you've left at home because they are too large to comfortably conceal and carry. I don't carry yet.

                              Thanks for all the input, comments and suggestions.





                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4AVpxvGgg

                              http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ig-sauer-p238/

                              http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...-sauer/01-7070

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Agreed, something is better than nothing. Have you tried putting a lighter recoil spring in your 9's? It's harder on the gun but may help with the limp wristing.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X