Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Annual Mobility Impaired Fishing Rodeo

Hi,
    I am co-hosting a fishing rodeo for those with mobility impairments. It will be in Biloxi, MS on Sept. 19-21, 2013. The rodeo will be the first of it's kind on the Gulf Coast, possibly anywhere. The boats will be corporate sponsored as to keep the cost to a minimum for the participants. Their will be different divisions for Quads, Paras, Amputees, and other injuries/diseases like neuromuscular, COPD, arthritis, etc, to keep things fair. I am not pushing my website, but there is more info there, and the registration forms will be there once they become available. Advertising will start in major fishing and disability magazines in Jan., 2013. If you have wanted to go deep sea fishing, or have been but want to be in a rodeo, then check it out. Hope to talk to anyone interested.

Q

www.qchair.com

Originally posted by QchairsTraveler View Post
    Hi,
    I am co-hosting a fishing rodeo for those with mobility impairments. It will be in Biloxi, MS on Sept. 19-21, 2013. The rodeo will be the first of it's kind on the Gulf Coast, possibly anywhere. The boats will be corporate sponsored as to keep the cost to a minimum for the participants. Their will be different divisions for Quads, Paras, Amputees, and other injuries/diseases like neuromuscular, COPD, arthritis, etc, to keep things fair. I am not pushing my website, but there is more info there, and the registration forms will be there once they become available. Advertising will start in major fishing and disability magazines in Jan., 2013. If you have wanted to go deep sea fishing, or have been but want to be in a rodeo, then check it out. Hope to talk to anyone interested.

Q

www.qchair.com
    Your event is not the first fishing rodeo for disabled individuals on the Gulf Coast. You may wish to learn about other events held in previous years and decades to avoid duplication of existing events.

BTW, I have no idea what you intend to charge participants, but many such events are free for PWDs.

Comment

"Your event is not the first fishing rodeo for disabled individuals on the Gulf Coast. You may wish to learn about other events held in previous years and decades to avoid duplication of existing events.

BTW, I have no idea what you intend to charge participants, but many such events are free for PWDs."

There is no charge for entry. It is free. The only charge would be if you entered your own boat, and that would be just a small fee ($25) to cover the hat and shirt. If you know of a deep sea rodeo on the gulf coast for people with disabilities that has occurred on an annual basis, please let me know as we looked and could not find history of one. Not freshwater but deep sea. The boats will be sponsored by corporate leaders, so the cost of the actual fishing will be free. The entrants will have to pay for their lodging and food, but we even hope to have a minimum of 8-10 full rides including lodging, and even possibly airfare.

Once again, my intention was not to cause a stir but to start an annual event designed for those with mobility impairments. If you can give me the name of another deep sea rodeo that we are duplicating, I will make sure and change that part of the event description. The MS Charter Boat Captains Association, my organization, and the co-host could not find one.

Thanks,
      Q

Comment

Oh, and as for "duplication", isn't more opportunity for those with mobility impairment a good thing? Not sure why the hostility.

Q

Comment

Originally posted by QchairsTraveler View Post
          "Your event is not the first fishing rodeo for disabled individuals on the Gulf Coast. You may wish to learn about other events held in previous years and decades to avoid duplication of existing events.

BTW, I have no idea what you intend to charge participants, but many such events are free for PWDs."

There is no charge for entry. It is free. The only charge would be if you entered your own boat, and that would be just a small fee ($25) to cover the hat and shirt. If you know of a deep sea rodeo on the gulf coast for people with disabilities that has occurred on an annual basis, please let me know as we looked and could not find history of one. Not freshwater but deep sea. The boats will be sponsored by corporate leaders, so the cost of the actual fishing will be free. The entrants will have to pay for their lodging and food, but we even hope to have a minimum of 8-10 full rides including lodging, and even possibly airfare.

Once again, my intention was not to cause a stir but to start an annual event designed for those with mobility impairments. If you can give me the name of another deep sea rodeo that we are duplicating, I will make sure and change that part of the event description. The MS Charter Boat Captains Association, my organization, and the co-host could not find one.

Thanks,
          Q
          No stir has been caused. You might want to look into the other events held on the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose View Post
            No stir has been caused. You might want to look into the other events held on the coast.
            Thanks,
            We did look. The only event we found was a Drum tournament in Texas. There are hundreds of events that make allowances for those with disabilities, but we built this one FOR them. Our rodeo (different from a tournament) is different because it is only for those with a mobility impairment. No AB entrants. Also no fee or even cost for the actual charter boats, bait, captain, crew, weigh in, or anything other than the contestants own food and lodging. Sponsorship for veterans and those unable to make the trip due to cost. Multiple fish categories, and different divisions to make competition fair. Even so I removed "first one of it's kind" from the event description and all event advertising and sponsor proposals to make sure we do not step on toes. The last thing we want to do is to reduce the importance of any tournament or rodeo for those with disabilities. We want to encourage and expand opportunities.

Those interested can still email me, or the advertising will start in Jan., 2013 in New Mobility, Sports and Spokes, Fishing magazines, and on ESPN digital.

Q

Comment

We have started the preregistration for the First Annual Mobility Impaired Fishing Rodeo, Sept. 19th-21 at Point Cadet Marina, Biloxi, MS. Please fill out the form on the rodeo page on www.qchair.com if you are interested. Note that this is a preliminary form and that a full registration packet will be required later. This early preregistration helps us determine the number of boats, number of rooms to block out, adaptive equipment required and other such logistics. Hope to see some of you there and have a great time,

Q

Comment

I'm definitely interested
                www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

Originally posted by Colin83 View Post
                  I'm definitely interested
                  Fill out the form so we can keep you up to date, or just check by the website. The preregistration helps us line up the number of charter boats. There are a ton of things that have to be done in advance. It is starting to take off! You are just up the road too! Hope to see you there!

Q

Comment

Is there a fee to participate ? Also, I'm ex Air Force. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
                    www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

Q, come check out my magazine. we can do an article about the fish round up after it's over and i can help spread the word for you if you want. shoot me an email.
                      http://www.dsportsman.com

Comment

Originally posted by wheelz99 View Post
                        Q, come check out my magazine. we can do an article about the fish round up after it's over and i can help spread the word for you if you want. shoot me an email.
                        Great looking publication! I am actually getting together the ad budget for presentation to a coastal commision that spends BP money. It is for moneys to assist in advertising ads out of State. I will shoot you an email in the morning and talk. Thanks for the heads up!

Q

Comment

Originally posted by Colin83 View Post
                          Is there a fee to participate ? Also, I'm ex Air Force. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
                          There will be no entry fee or cost for the boats. You would be responsible for your food and lodging. We are encouraging vets to participate, but it is not a requirement.

Q

Comment

Working...
                          X