Cross-country trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-country trip

Has anyone ever taken a trip cross-country post-injury (especially any quads)?

depends,, how are u planning to travel?..
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Not really planning, more a curiosity. Minivan presumably.

Comment

Yes, I have done it solo several times.

I am a C7 complete.

Plan it right and it can be fun otherwise it turns into a Cannonball Run kind of experience.

Comment

Sounds like fun. However, I don't know if I would ever do it solo, I'd be worried I take a wrong turn and wind up somewhere I shouldn't be. I am not adventurous.
          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

I'm not a quad. The biggest problem is finding a decent motel to stay in. Even when you are told a room is wheelchair accessible it doesn't always end up that way. Even if it is accessible it will be under the stairs, next to the ice machine, next to the elevator. I got so tired of it I bought a motor home.

Comment

Drove from Arizona to Connecticut in 6 days

I moved myself from Arizona to Connecticut last summer. I drove my vehicle towing a uhaul trailer. 3000 miles, 13 states, in 6 days...first 3 days I was alone. I'm C5 incomplete now, but last summer still T12 incomplete, so some of my suggestions may not be as applicable.

- i booked all hotels ahead of time through hotels.com with request for accessible room. Before I finalized the purchase, I called the hotel to confirm they had an accessible room that worked for me on those dates. I then asked to have something emailed or faxed to me from hotel, confirming my request. I found the local "mom & pop" hotels were more than willing to do this, especially when I explained that many hotels won't guarantee the requests. I figured I could drive 600 miles a day, with 750 the first, and used that as a guide to figure out where to stop.

- carry extra empty soda bottles and closed cath kits where you can reach them...self explanatory

- roadsideamerica.com is an awesome website for any road trip. Not wheelie specific but full of random things to visit, sorted by highway in each state. I drove 600 miles out of my way to find the wheelchair accessible treehouse in Scranton, PA.

Comment

I'm c5-6 and I took off with a lady friend in the 90s for 6 weeks on a cross-country tour. From Virginia we took the southern route out, a hop across the MX border, and then zigzagged up the west coast, into Canada and then back. I had a full size Chevy van, bed in the back, and we slept where and when we wanted. We stayed with friends for 7 days during the trip, another 7 in hotels, and in the van for the remaining 4 weeks. Awesome trip.
                "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
                  I'm c5-6 and I took off with a lady friend in the 90s for 6 weeks on a cross-country tour. From Virginia we took the southern route out, a hop across the MX border, and then zigzagged up the west coast, into Canada and then back. I had a full size Chevy van, bed in the back, and we slept where and when we wanted. We stayed with friends for 7 days during the trip, another 7 in hotels, and in the van for the remaining 4 weeks. Awesome trip.
                  Now this is the way you travel across the country.

Comment

My (then girlfriend) now wife and I would both be classified as paras (she's post polio). Thirty Eight years ago we took a two month camping trip across US and Canada in our full sized Ford van w our cat and dog. We had a folding bed built in back, built a home made porta potty which stowed under bed, bought a propane camp stove and hit the road. We mainly camped but stopped at motels about every 4th day. One of the biggest hardships was the litter box under our bed and the cat using it while we tried to sleep. Considering the size of our van and all our equipment this would never have worked except we both had our E&J folding chairs. While camping in Death Valley I proposed and we proceeded to Las Vegas and got married at city hall. It was a great adventure which we still talk about all the time. Do it if you can.

Comment

Planning

Great thread!
                      I was injured two years ago, t-10, so I'm still attempting to adjust to the life changes.
                      That said, a cross country trip in a motor home is on my bucket list. I hope to make arrangements to go within two years. I will most likely end up doing most of the trip by my self. Reading about trips that others have taken gives me good insight.
                      Hope to read more, thanks for posting them.
                      Steve
                      "We are fools whether we dance or not - so we might as well dance."
                      Japanese proverb

Comment

Working...
                      X