Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gardening

Found this really neat idea for gardens.
    Straw bales would make it more accessible from a chair too!

www.strawbalegardens.com

Comment

Guess we shoulda planted some oats this spring....
      T8/9 (2-24-06)
      IOWA

Comment

Looks great! I do square foot gardening on top of dock sections for most plants. Container garden for tomatoes and regular garden for potatoes. The youngest wanted a summer job, so she gets to weed, etc.

Comment

This is a cool idea. I've used 5 gallon buckets, before and since I've been hurt. Mainly to be able to control the soil and move stuff, because of rabbits and deer.

Comment

I thought it was really cool too! I have built raised beds for my husband but I'm thinking I might just try this next year, it would allow us to double the size of our garden much more simplier than trying to build another box. The 5 gallon buckets is a good idea too, do you add drain holes in the bottom?

Comment

Yes set the bucket up just like a flower pot. Couple holes for drainage, rocks or coffee filters over the holes to keep the dirt in. The first time I did the bucket thing was to grow carrots. They are so fussy about soil, it was easier to make it up in the bucket. I put them by the front door (east sun). Never got a carrot. My son would eat them as soon as he got off the school bus.
              I'm getting the bails tommorrow. Going to try some later crops. I figure the straw should even out the temperature.

Comment

Funny about the carrots. Let me know how the bails work for you.

Comment

I love this idea as my soil is lousy and my yard is very shady except for the very middle. I will have to discuss it with my neighbor who does my mowing and complains about everything new I put out that he has to mow around !Looks like would be much cheaper than building boxes and filling with dirt.

Comment

And if I read it correctly the bails will break down naturally due to the heat and moisture so you can use it as compost to help your lousy soil...

Comment

True, but you'll need to spread them around, unless you want a big pile of crap..lol
                      T8/9 (2-24-06)
                      IOWA

Comment

Well.....yes, yes you would have to spread it around or you would have a big pile of crap. Thanks for the great tip there

Comment

lol... I figured that was a no brainer.
                          T8/9 (2-24-06)
                          IOWA

Comment

LOL! I hoped you wouldn't take that as sarcastic.

Comment

Working...
                            X