Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marine Highway

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Marine Highway

    Has anyone here taken the ferry to Alaska? I am wondering about bathrooms, dining areas, etc.

    I would appreciate any input.

    Thanks
    C5/C6

    #2
    Traveling to Alaska by Ferry Boat

    Originally posted by 47+years View Post
    Has anyone here taken the ferry to Alaska? I am wondering about bathrooms, dining areas, etc.

    I would appreciate any input.

    Thanks
    Hi
    I've been to Alaska but not by ferry. I went on a cruise from Vancouver BC to Seward, Alaska then flew back to New York area into New Airport in New Jersey. from Anchorage Alaska. Went by bus from Seward to Anchorage

    Comment


      #3
      Most vessels have just one accessible cabin. All Alaska ferries claim to be ADA-compliant, but these generally are older vessels and accessibility is not comparable to cruise ships. Also, fares are not significantly lower than a traditional cruise and don't include cabin service or other services you would find on a traditional cruise. Reservations are crucial.

      Comment


        #4
        Thank you for your replies. It doesn't sound like a great idea, does it?
        C5/C6

        Comment


          #5
          I think it's a fine idea so long as you aren't expecting accessibility and amenities to be comparable to a cruise ship. It would be an adventure, for sure, with lots of planning required. Alaska ferries tend to draw a younger crowd that doesn't mind sleeping on deck or in loungers. BC Ferries also are an option and tend to be more modern. I'd recommend a cruise ship, though.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Clipper View Post
            I think it's a fine idea so long as you aren't expecting accessibility and amenities to be comparable to a cruise ship. It would be an adventure, for sure, with lots of planning required. Alaska ferries tend to draw a younger crowd that doesn't mind sleeping on deck or in loungers. BC Ferries also are an option and tend to be more modern. I'd recommend a cruise ship, though.
            We wanted our van with us to use when we arrived. Forget the loungers !! Maybe a bed in the back of our van!!

            Thanks again.
            C5/C6

            Comment


              #7
              I don't know what the law is in the states but in Canada they don't allow you to be on the vehicle decks while the boat is underway.

              Comment


                #8
                Here's what their site says:

                Most cabins include private bathroom facilities... Cabins equipped to accommodate those with disabilities are also available, and all of our vessels have elevator access to cabin decks.

                For passengers who opt to save a few dollars and travel without a cabin, the recliner lounges also serve as popular sleeping areas with space to roll out a sleeping bag. Covered solariums located on the upper decks of each vessel are also popular sleeping areas and for those with adventurous spirit small tents are allowed on the upper decks if you prefer to sleep under the stars.
                C5/C6

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by 47+years View Post
                  Thank you for your replies. It doesn't sound like a great idea, does it?
                  It sounds like a great idea to me. Alaska is beautiful.

                  A cruise might be more convenient though..... but life is an adventure.
                  Adaptive Sports Forums.com
                  http://adaptivesportsforums.com
                  Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by 47+years View Post
                    Here's what their site says:

                    Most cabins include private bathroom facilities... Cabins equipped to accommodate those with disabilities are also available, and all of our vessels have elevator access to cabin decks.

                    For passengers who opt to save a few dollars and travel without a cabin, the recliner lounges also serve as popular sleeping areas with space to roll out a sleeping bag. Covered solariums located on the upper decks of each vessel are also popular sleeping areas and for those with adventurous spirit small tents are allowed on the upper decks if you prefer to sleep under the stars.
                    Do it! Take your van. It won't be cheap but it will be fun.
                    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
                    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
                    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X