Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Record for People Who Use Sip-and-Puff Wheelchairs

Bill Miller's 224 and 15th 200 Game -- and 585 Series

At our Central Florida Quad Squad Bowling outing on January 28th, I bowled my highest score to date -- a 224 -- which is a new record for wheelchair users who operate their chairs by sip-and-puff (mouth control). I also bowled my highest series of three games -- 179, 182, and 224 for a 585 series -- and the 224 was my 15th game of 200 or better.

Many people have bowled that well before -- but I happen to be a C1-2 quadriplegic who is paralyzed from my neck down and ventilator dependent. And using an IKAN Bowler (which is legit because it's sanctioned by the USBC) I've now had a 200, four 201s, two 202s, a 203, 205, 206, 210, 212, 221, 223 and 224.

Here's the link to my scoresheet and commentary:

http://www.wheelchairbowlingrecords....Scoresheet.htm

I'm just trying to show what is possible.

God bless all!

- Bill :-)
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Wow, great score Bill!

Sip & puffers FTW!!

Comment

Congrats on your record!
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Excellent Bill!!!!

Comment

Thank you all!

If you're curious as to what the record scores are for various categories, checkout:

http://www.wheelchairbowlingrecords.com/

Comment

Good go, Bill.
            get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

That's some good bowling Bill, congrats buddy.
              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BillMiller823 View Post
                Thank you all!

If you're curious as to what the record scores are for various categories, checkout:

http://www.wheelchairbowlingrecords.com/

That's impressive Bill. I think you have a 300 in you! It's only 12 strikes in a row. I know easier said than done.

By my math, where you bowled a 224, your string of 15 attempts was: 9,0,X,9,1,X,9,0,X,X,X,X,X,X,7. Replace those 3 9s and one 7 with Xs and you're there. You got 8 strikes! I bowled a ton as an AB and never got more than 5 in one game. Keep at it you're closer than you think (and as far away as it seems). Great job!
                Last edited by Patton57; 2 Feb 2012, 8:19 PM.

Comment

Bill,
                  Congratulations on your record!
                  With your device, are you throwing basically a straight ball or is it possible to get English on the ball? How heavy a ball do you guys use? Is the drive wheel position (front, middle or rear) important to bowling well? How long did it take you to get this good and how often do bowl? Do they give you a big belt like Aaron Rodgers had made for winning the Super Bowl? (They should)

Comment

Thats amazing, a 224, wow. Congrats man.
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    challenges you're dealt but
                    the challenges you seek...If
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

We would love to meet you and your lovely girlfriend and see how you bowl and have Dave give it a try. I wish we lived closer. You have taught me so much about care by reading the blog.
                      When he drives well it is a amazing-when not, it is a calamity!
                      I wonder how he could do.
                      Keep at it Bill.

Comment

Wow, thank you all for the nice comments!

Patton57... the end of your first paragraph was absolutely correct, i.e. much easier said than done. Getting strikes requires excellent ball placement and some luck. It's not easy to replicate because this isn't stationary ramp bowling (although that isn't as easy as it sounds like it could be, but many have bowled 300 with stationary ramps). I drive from the ball return to the foul line with each shot, so being in the exact same location, at the same angle, etc... isn't easy -- BUT that's part of the CHALLENGE AND FUN!

Wesley, lots of good questions...

I can throw a straight ball or a hook -- with the same ball! It depends on the positioning of the holes, i.e. how the ball is positioned atop my IKAN Bowler. Each ball has a particular type and shape of weight inside it, and that allows for the English / spin. With my ball, when all the finger holes are on the left of my Bowler, the ball curves left. If they are on the right, it curves right. If the finger holes straddle the top, it goes straight.

I use the heaviest available, a 16lb ball (using a little lighter ball or 16lb ball should be irrelevant to the IKAN Bowler, and the person's chair) because the heavier the ball, the more force / damage it will do when impacting the pins.

I don't particularly think that drive wheel position matters, except to say that it helps to have your forward turning speed be relatively slow (I have a particular drive mode setup for bowling). This allows for relatively small corrections (left/right) as you approach the line, not wild swings (the IKAN Bowler is like having a rifle on your chair; the end is long and where it winds up being pointed is where the projectile goes).

I bowl twice a month with a local group of power wheelchair users (not all SCI) and we call ourselves the Central Florida Quad Squad. Technically, I was credited with co-inventing the IKAN Bowler in 2003 and have bowled occasionally ever since. It doesn't necessarily take a long time to get good, but obviously, the more you bowl, the better you should get. A Quad Squad buddy went from a first game of 101, and just over two months later, bowled a 179. Here's his IKAN User Profile.

LOL at the Championship Belt -- that would be AWESOME!

Linda, I know traveling isn't easy, but Central Florida is an excellent place to visit... and the bowling would be on me!

Thanks for the interest and comments everyone... God bless!

Comment

Congrats!

I know I may be a bit bias, being Bill's girlfriend, HA! All that aside, he is a wonderful bowler and very focused. Congrats on the score BILL!
                          Lisa, Bill Miller's fiance, (c1-2)
                          “Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Skars82 View Post
                            I know I may be a bit bias, being Bill's girlfriend, HA! All that aside, he is a wonderful bowler and very focused. Congrats on the score BILL!
                            You may be a bit biased?

Comment

Working...
                            X