How wide are airplane aisles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katja View Post
    If we couldn't laugh, we'd cry. Thanks for the kind words!

Oh, and the physical therapist/flight attendant thing is actually true and happened to me. Flight attendants are not permitted by union rules to assist in transfers, but this guy just picked me up out of the OBWC and set me down on the toilet, no worries.

Thank you! for the great read..I totally found that description to be so perfectly accurate while being positive and humourous..perfect
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
      trust me..this is a pain..as they are on tight schedules and usually are in the middle of serving when you need it with the serving cart in the way..lol..plus I for one don't like to be any more dependant on help than I need to be..(getting on and off plane is enough for me..) If you are lucky enough to get their attention (I can't reach the call button)-They will have to find where it is..get it opened, bring to you, will not assist in transfer-not that you would need it. (the flight attendants are not permitted to do so) and then push you down the aisle, manuever you into bathroom -there is a slight bump to go over), wait for you to tranfer onto toilet, ( or I guess you could pee while in the aisle chair with door open as a guy or gal with mitro?) or pull out the chair so door can close, wait for you to finish...and take you back. Most of these attendants have not had anyone or experience with the on board aisle chair..so they may be figuring it out as they go along. (that has been my experience) To me it is not worth it and one time I seriously was almost injured when the plane hit turbulence on my way to CA..and I was in the stall bouncing around lol! The poor lady barely got me back to my seat.,,with all the movement of plane!

Not meaning to be negative..but that was how my experience felt.

Tape that thing up and enjoy the peace and stress free trip! )
      You have convinced me, the chair is not the way to go. I can see everything you described. I've been through stuff like that before and it's not worth it. It's like 20 minutes of crap to do a simple thing and if you are even a little bit tired, it seems not worth it. Schmecky, come here! ;-)
      Last edited by grommet; 26 Jan 2012, 2:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
        Yeah, no way unless you are in the very first row. You are not getting down the aisle in a regular chair otherwise. Most planes have an onboard aisle chair to get to the bathroom, but unless you are going overseas I would recommend regulating your liquids before getting on the plane and holding it.
        I agree... limit fluids, empty before boarding...don't wanna be messing with cathing/leg bag emptying unless absolutely necessary

Comment

Katja, thanks for the info and added description. It sounds like every other kind of "access" that requires some one else to provide it -nearly worthless to the person needing it. I will get used to peeing in the bag. I've gotten used to just about everything and I don't think it will be such a big deal. I will need to find something that fits/feels right. I got a sample kit from one big company, can't rememer name now but they are one of the biggest. The whole thing was awkward but I was learning as I went. One thing I definitely couldn't figure very well was how to keep the leg bag in place. Even with two pieces of velcro it wanted to move around.

I've got time, not trips planned immediatelyl but I would like to be ready to go when I need to go when I finally have a trip to go on ;-)

Comment

Last edited by t8burst; 26 Jan 2012, 2:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
              I've got time, not trips planned immediatelyl but I would like to be ready to go when I need to go when I finally have a trip to go on ;-)
              Definately a good thing to practice..before you go..I am sure you can find some inaccessible outdoor concert or beach to go to that it will come in handy lol! I won't even do a 2 hour road trip now without one..cause it is dangerous for females to stop at those road stop bathrooms..I have had some creepy experiences when alone..and with my girls..scary stuff!

Let us know when you have trip planned..and go!
              "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

---------
                Last edited by grommet; 26 Jan 2012, 3:56 PM.

Comment

Hey man, I deleted the post (before you replied) because I realized it is none of my business.

Comment

Damn, I am sorry you feel bad now. Try not to let others upset you..just let it go and ignore the opinions or comments that are not constructive in your mind..as hard as that can be for us...hell many of us have "too much time on our hands"! lol or maybe we choose to use our time preparing for a trip by strapping one on for practice! and some of the best people here have no sci but other disabilities..and your question was a really important one..has been covered before but so what..new people replied with new answers..so there ya go..

Have a good day.

T8 What's with all the judgement man? You don't know what I need or what's hard for me. I pee pretty often and always have and since the f#cking chair decided to be a permanent part of things, getting into a bathroom when I'm out is pretty hard. It's gets uncomfortable holding it and trying not to drink things when I'm out.

I know this is a site for people with SCI, I appreciate that. But I come for help because I have some needs/problems in common and people have been great trying to help. I don't want an SCI but you don't want my neuro stuff either. Trying to get to sleep when my brain decides the nerves in my face or head are just going on overactive time and suddenly it feels like something is crawling around. Doesn't hurt, just creepy. Finally it goes away. Now it's my upper lip or the tip of my nose that's all squirmy, like I've got something brushing against it. Then that's gone. Bad hand pain for a few weeks, then that's gone. Weird stuff all over and the burning in the shoulders and back never goes away. My knees? Like they've been worked over with a mallet sometimes. But not today, wait now it's there, now it's gone. This is not fun.

So when I talk about trying to solve the problem of peeing on an airplane it's because I'm scared, I'm trying to figure out a way to still do stuff I want without getting so exhausted on in pain that the trip sucks. Free time? Come on, please don't say stuff like that. I do not want an SCI of any kind but disability sucks and I was twelve when this started. I'm 44 now. When I talked about being naked in a room while 6 med students and a doctor examined me it was because of the burning sensation I was having inside my thighs. They couldn't find anything. Turned out it was in my brain. So live with things as best I can and I think I've done great. I don't pout or complain or make disability my hobby. I live a pretty active life.

Your reaction makes me think again, am I not sure it's an unfair thought, that maybe CC is just for people with SCI's. I understand if that's true, it's fair. If it is true though, I wish it didn't have to be. As I'm typing there goes my face again, those nerves are going to be doing their weird little thing until they stop.

I'm not bored, I hate this shit. I'm sorry if I'm being short, it's just gets me anytime I think people think I'm not dealing with what I am. I've got a friend who has no SCI and full sensation. She was born however without the ability to grow muscle in her arms and legs. She qualifies as a quad. Check out Arthrogryposis. Born that way. My friend John is blind in one eye and not much sight in the other. I sail with a woman with a kind of brittle bone disease and she has to use a chair. There are lots of us who can use the help of other people with disabilities. That's why I'm here, not because I have time on my hands and want to pee into a bag and have that bag sloshing around on my leg. Peace?

Comment

Hey man, I deleted the post (before you replied) because I realized it is none of my business.
                      Peace :-)

Comment

Peace :-)
                        Yep, I really just don't understand, didn't mean anything other than that.... but like I said none of my business.

Comment

One option that I didn't see, perhaps because I am the only one that it works for, is to restrict your fluid intake so that you produce vey little urine. I only drink hard alcohol and milk and I rarely need to drain my bladder more frequently that once every 12 hours. I've been doing this for about 6 months so far and it works good for me.

Comment

That's messed up because now I am wondering what the hell you said.

Comment

Even if you could take your chair on the plane, it won't fit in the bathroom.....

aisle chair is probably best, that transfer is a bitch tho, I've not tried, but looks it.

I'm fortunate I don't have to go thru all that, but when I was first injured, I did the ol blanket, cath, bottle thing because no one was sitting next to me. All my friends tend to use this method.

Comment

Originally posted by Imight View Post
                                Even if you could take your chair on the plane, it won't fit in the bathroom.....

aisle chair is probably best, that transfer is a bitch tho, I've not tried, but looks it.

I'm fortunate I don't have to go thru all that, but when I was first injured, I did the ol blanket, cath, bottle thing because no one was sitting next to me. All my friends tend to use this method.
                                Sounds like the best way for me to go. Don't know if I could do it though if some one was sitting close to me. Then again, with all the noise onboard, nobody is going to hear anything. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X