So Who All Hunt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grange View Post
    Hunting has been practically non existent for me this year. Went one afternoon about 2 weeks ago for the first time and saw nothing. Ga season ended this past weekend. However I did get to go hunting this past weekend. I attended the disabled hunt at the Rack and Beard hunt club in Monroeville AL. Great event. I took my 17 year old son with me as my hunting partner and we hunted together. We drove down Friday afternoon and got there just in time to go to a stand. All the stands are accessible. This one was an elevated shooting house with a ramp. We saw 2 doe and 2 buttons Friday afternoon. Saturday morning it was 21 degrees and we were gonna drop the first doe we saw. We were in a tent blind on the ground looking down an old logging trail. Wouldn't you know it we were in a great place to get a nice buck and a itty bitty doe walked out 5 minutes after we got in the blind. We decided we did not want to mess up our chances at a nice buck by shooting that early so we let her walk.... right up to within about 15 yards of our blind. It was hard to hold my son back. She walked off and as luck would have it she was all we saw that morning. Saturday afternoon we sat on a green field and all was quite until shooting light was almost gone. A nice sized deer walked out on the other side of the food plot. Through binoculars and scopes we both decided it was a doe and my boy took the shot. Turned out to be a year old button buck. Nice size and legal since it was "antlerless". The shot was with a Remington 788 in .243 caliber and was 170 yards. His shot was right through the bread basket. It high kicked and ran about 15 yards and then dropped. He was upset that it was a buck but I got him to understand that when you are shooting for does it happens sometime. As much fun as I had getting i the woods and hunting I had more fun spending the weekend with my boy. I know those times are gonna be becoming more rare as he heads off to college. That's gonna be tough for sure. Hope everybody has a safe time i the woods the rest of the seasons.
    glad yall had a great time in gods country

Comment

Great story Grange. Congrats to your son.
      "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Dusty, so your season is from early Nov to the end of Jan? That's not too long. Ours here in Va. started with archery the first Sat in Oct and ended the first Sat in Jan.
        "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
          Dusty, so your season is from early Nov to the end of Jan? That's not too long. Ours here in Va. started with archery the first Sat in Oct and ended the first Sat in Jan.
          our bow season start oct 1 just not set up to bow hunt so in mississippi u can hunt deer from oct 1 to jan 31 some parts in mississippi the season don't go out to feb the 15 just not in my zone Method Season Dates Legal Deer Archery Oct 1 - Nov 18, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private and open public land. Youth Gun Nov 5, 2011 - Jan 31, 2012 Anterless Deer & Legal Bucks on private and authorized state and federal lands. Youths 15 and under. Special Primitive Weapons Hunt/Crossbow Nov 7 - 18, 2011 Anterless Deer Only (private and open public lands) Gun (with dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Nov 19 - Dec 1, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land; Legal Bucks only on open public land. Primitive Weapon / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 2 - 15, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land. Gun (without dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 16-23, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land.
          Gun (with dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 24, 2011 - Jan 18, 2012 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land; Legal Bucks only on open public land.
          Primitive Weapon / Archery / Crossbow Jan 19 - 31, 2012 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land.

Comment

well ended my season on getting a doe the last day of season was jan 31 and it was about 65 skeeters was badddddddd dad got off work at 330 drove hour home got here about 4:30 we loaded up got set up about 4:45 and at 5:20 2 smaller does came out then few min later big doe came out she was tring to smell us then some dumbazz blowed there car horn bout ran the deer off soon as she turn i shot the big doe she ran about 20 yards brother came help dad load it he cut all the meat up to make jerky going be good eating been a hot boring season this year hope next year is better now iam ready to do some fishing

Comment

Congrats on your doe. Enjoy your jerky. This weather has been crazy. 59 degrees in West Virginia in February is pretty much unheard off.

Comment

Not much better then deer dry meat , also try taking a whole shoulder in and have the meat market make it into a ham, they use same process as a pig ham VERY good eating!! They charge $20 here .You can also buy spices and do it your self ..

Comment

Originally posted by fromnwmont View Post
                  Not much better then deer dry meat , also try taking a whole shoulder in and have the meat market make it into a ham, they use same process as a pig ham VERY good eating!! They charge $20 here .You can also buy spices and do it your self ..
                  we smoke ours or cooking them on grill

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
                    Congrats on your doe. Enjoy your jerky. This weather has been crazy. 59 degrees in West Virginia in February is pretty much unheard off.
                    thanks yea this weather is nuts

Comment

Since deer meat tends to REALLY kick off the "gastro intestinal disturbances" in me I tend to make wieners, jerky and summer sausage makes the whole house fresher some how....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
                        I do...I'm just not so great at it.

I'm t3/4 incomplete and I hunt with a WW2 Lee Enfield 303.

I made a little video that shows the time me and my dad went hunting......good times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPzMLr-GrzU

This season I'm making more effort by feeding the deer and getting better with the hide etc....
                        Love my .303.!!!!!!

Comment

Old timer wanted me to post this for those of you that can't shoot straight

Self-Guided Bullet Hits Target a Mile Away

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
                            Old timer wanted me to post this for those of you that can't shoot straight

Self-Guided Bullet Hits Target a Mile Away

I saw that the other day. Pretty soon, you'll be able to stay home and hunt via your TV and internet connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
                              I saw that the other day. Pretty soon, you'll be able to stay home and hunt via your TV and internet connection.
                              I saw a system that does that demoed on one of the tv sports channels a couple of years ago. It is not all that complicated. You view the targeted area where the deer are expected to come in a window, zoom in on a deer, and manipulate the onscreen sight image sent from the rifle's telescope sight with the mouse. As you move the sight, the rifle moves on a motorized mount. Press control + enter to fire. Two keys are used for safety purposes. If my memory is correct, the setup was on a private hunting range in Texas. The only technical problem was getting the hookup into the Internet from the treestand. The biggest obstacle foreseen was public acceptance.
                              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                                I saw a system that does that demoed on one of the tv sports channels a couple of years ago. It is not all that complicated. You view the targeted area where the deer are expected to come in a window, zoom in on a deer, and manipulate the onscreen sight image sent from the rifle's telescope sight with the mouse. As you move the sight, the rifle moves on a motorized mount. Press control + enter to fire. Two keys are used for safety purposes. If my memory is correct, the setup was on a private hunting range in Texas. The only technical problem was getting the hookup into the Internet from the treestand. The biggest obstacle foreseen was public acceptance.
                                Other public acceptance, the biggest problem would be internet speed. You might shoot several seconds too late. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X