Best tips to avoid traveler's diarrhea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tips to avoid traveler's diarrhea?

Dukoral? Pro-biotics? Oil of Wild Oregano? All of the above?

Any more suggestions?
    And the truth shall set you free.

When I go to Mexico, I always take a bottle of Septra or other sulpha drug. Worked so far.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
      Dukoral? Pro-biotics? Oil of Wild Oregano? All of the above?

Any more suggestions?
      Eat only cooked foods and don't drink the water. Bring a couple bottles of Kaopectate.
      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

I bought a bottle that has a built in water filter. I am not talking some "feel good" filter that works best on already fine water, I am talking a serious filter that makes it safe to drink from (according to the literature) streams and ponds, to say nothing of foreign water supplies. You can find it at

www.ecousable.com

It's about $40 but it will filter 100 gallons of water, which is many months of drinking, and then you can buy the replacement filter for $25 dollars forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
          Eat only cooked foods and don't drink the water. Bring a couple bottles of Kaopectate.
          Sorry, I should have put assuming the "avoid the non-potable water in all forms."

Comment

No egg, no milk or icecream
            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
              Sorry, I should have put assuming the "avoid the non-potable water in all forms."

Never drink non-potable water anywhere. Don't drink the potable water in foreign countries during short trips. You don't have time to build defenses against the new bacteria.
              Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Avoid shellfish, esp. if uncooked.

Eat only fruits and veggies you peel yourself, unless well cooked. This means no salsa, salads, etc. at restaurants.

Drink only bottled water (sealed), bottled sodas or beer/wine. No ice in your drinks.

Eat in good restaurants or cook for yourself. Avoid food from street vendors or stalls that obviously have no handwashing facilities or refrigeration.

Don't brush your teeth with tap water. Use bottled water only.

Take PeptoBismol with you. It works best for tourista. Save antibiotics for severe cases.

Take Imodium with you and use only if needed.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Maude's campaign advisor: Maude, no smart politician airs their controversial views.

Maude: But all of my views are controversial: Civil Rights, Women's Rights, Vietnam; the only uncontroversial view I have is my foreign policy, and I can hardly get elected on that.

Vivian: What is that?

Maude: If you're in Mexico, don't drink the water.

Comment

I want to be as proactive as possible.

I think I'm gonna pay for the Canadian Dukoral, and I'm buying the oil of wild oregano.

Can any peeps up north give a brother a hand with the Dukoral?

FO, I so wanted to come to Key West for Fantasy Fest but the second leg
                    is either boat or puddle jumper and I don't see either as possible. I weigh
                    about 217 and that's a hernia for somebody. Looks like either Cancun (again, sigh) or Punta Cana. I figure Cancun is probably a hair more accessible.

Comment

If you're going to Cancun I'd watch out for that Montezuma Tequila, I hear it's a MF man.
                      http://outcampaign.org/

Comment

fantasy fest?

Comment

Joe, second leg from where? Unlike New England, Key West is a place that you CAN get there from here. Almost any here. Remember that we have a road connecting us to the mainland.

I know you considered the ferry from Ft. Myers. Can't imagine that it doesn't have wheelchair access, since it is a newer service. I think the direct flights from Atlanta and Charlotte use full size jets.

But you will have a good time in Mexico or the DR. Have fun.
                          Foolish

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                            fantasy fest?
                            http://www.fantasyfest.net/
                            Foolish

Comment

Imodium®

If you are leaving the United States of America boil all the water you drink and if you do get diarrhea take Imodium® or loperamide. Like American Express says, "Don't leave home without it!"

Ti
                              credit: Imodium
                              ® and American Express
                              "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Working...
                              X