Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Hunters Saw One Of these?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    A doe? haha. What a butch.

    Comment


      #17
      Here you go Jerry...weird deal, 19 point doe.
      http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors....&storyid=33944

      Mike Tomey of Lewis County had high hopes for the 2009 deer season. All year, Tomey had spied a deer near his hunting area sporting quite a non-typical rack.

      "I'd been getting pictures of it on a trail cam all summer and fall" said Tomey. "I thought it was a non-typical 9-pointer." Tomey says in past years he'd seen big bucks on his trail cam, but they'd be long gone by hunting season.

      Friday of the first week of buck season, Tomey was about to give it up for the day amid rainy, miserable conditions -- but on his way out of woods he spied the dear he'd been watching for months.

      "He dropped at the sound of the gun and I couldn't wait to get to him to see what I had and when I got down there I realized I had more than I thought I did."

      The rack was certainly non-typical, but with 19-points and three main beams. But that wasn't the most non-typical part. When Tomey lifted the back legs to begin the field dressing is when he noticed something was missing.

      "I actually was back at the house before I realized I wasn't seeing things," said Tomey. "I field dressed it and had it off the hill. My neighbor came over and looked at it and said, 'That's a doe with antlers.' That's when it dawned on me that I wasn't seeing things."

      The 19-points on the doe are still in velvet. It's a sight to behold, but not really a pretty one.

      The chance of a doe having antlers is about one in ten-thousand according to biologists. Antlers begin on a deer's head in the summer with a burst of testosterone. They start as tender flesh in velvet. When the length of daylight starts to shorten, a second burst of testosterone hardens the antlers and the velvet sheds. The doe apparently got the first rush, but not the second.

      Biologists say a number of things can cause the odd condition. Hormonal changes during pregnancy are often the culprit.

      Tomey's deer is attracting plenty of attention. Locals have worn a path to his door to have a look, many returning to give it a second look just to make sure their eyes aren’t deceiving them. At the Somerville Exxon in Linn, where Tomey is a regular, it was a wildfire story when he checked the deer in.

      A couple of Conservation Officers were on hand to take a look, but before you wonder about a ticket the answer is no. Any deer with antlers longer than three inches above the head is a legal kill during buck season in West Virginia.

      "It's kind of odd, but I've seen a couple of them before," said Larry Somerville who checked in Tomey's doe. "A few years back a guy brought one in, but not as big as this one."
      <snip>
      "I’m hoping I can get somebody like Bass Pro Shops or Dick's to maybe mount it and put it someplace for people to see," said Tomey.
      get busy living or get busy dying

      Comment


        #18
        The deer is attracting plenty of attention. Locals have worn a path to his door to have a look, many returning to give it a second look just to make sure their eyes aren’t deceiving them
        This has me scratching my head. What's there to give a second look at, now that it's been butchered.
        get busy living or get busy dying

        Comment


          #19
          Good story! Thanks Jerry and QV!

          Jerry, you know it gets kinda "different" in that lost triangle between Parkersburg, Clarksburg and Charleston.
          Foolish

          "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

          "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by quadvet View Post
            This has me scratching my head. What's there to give a second look at, now that it's been butchered.
            I'm guessing it just got field dressed, not butchered. Cold as it is, and as odd the deer, it cold hang for quite awhile.
            Foolish

            "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

            "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

            Comment


              #21
              Good point, FO.
              Last edited by quadvet; 23 Feb 2010, 4:21 AM.
              get busy living or get busy dying

              Comment


                #22
                Wow....That's a strange rack ! Will make for a good conversation piece though!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Les284 View Post
                  Wow....That's a strange rack ! Will make for a good conversation piece though!
                  Is that your best pick up line?

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Timaru View Post
                    Is that your best pick up line?
                    Good one.
                    get busy living or get busy dying

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Thanks quadvet.

                      I just got it today and came here to post it.


                      Originally posted by quadvet View Post
                      Here you go Jerry...weird deal, 19 point doe.
                      http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors....&storyid=33944

                      Mike Tomey of Lewis County had high hopes for the 2009 deer season. All year, Tomey had spied a deer near his hunting area sporting quite a non-typical rack.

                      "I'd been getting pictures of it on a trail cam all summer and fall" said Tomey. "I thought it was a non-typical 9-pointer." Tomey says in past years he'd seen big bucks on his trail cam, but they'd be long gone by hunting season.

                      Friday of the first week of buck season, Tomey was about to give it up for the day amid rainy, miserable conditions -- but on his way out of woods he spied the dear he'd been watching for months.

                      "He dropped at the sound of the gun and I couldn't wait to get to him to see what I had and when I got down there I realized I had more than I thought I did."

                      The rack was certainly non-typical, but with 19-points and three main beams. But that wasn't the most non-typical part. When Tomey lifted the back legs to begin the field dressing is when he noticed something was missing.

                      "I actually was back at the house before I realized I wasn't seeing things," said Tomey. "I field dressed it and had it off the hill. My neighbor came over and looked at it and said, 'That's a doe with antlers.' That's when it dawned on me that I wasn't seeing things."

                      The 19-points on the doe are still in velvet. It's a sight to behold, but not really a pretty one.

                      The chance of a doe having antlers is about one in ten-thousand according to biologists. Antlers begin on a deer's head in the summer with a burst of testosterone. They start as tender flesh in velvet. When the length of daylight starts to shorten, a second burst of testosterone hardens the antlers and the velvet sheds. The doe apparently got the first rush, but not the second.

                      Biologists say a number of things can cause the odd condition. Hormonal changes during pregnancy are often the culprit.

                      Tomey's deer is attracting plenty of attention. Locals have worn a path to his door to have a look, many returning to give it a second look just to make sure their eyes aren’t deceiving them. At the Somerville Exxon in Linn, where Tomey is a regular, it was a wildfire story when he checked the deer in.

                      A couple of Conservation Officers were on hand to take a look, but before you wonder about a ticket the answer is no. Any deer with antlers longer than three inches above the head is a legal kill during buck season in West Virginia.

                      "It's kind of odd, but I've seen a couple of them before," said Larry Somerville who checked in Tomey's doe. "A few years back a guy brought one in, but not as big as this one."
                      <snip>
                      "I’m hoping I can get somebody like Bass Pro Shops or Dick's to maybe mount it and put it someplace for people to see," said Tomey.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        has a lot schatching their head.

                        Originally posted by quadvet View Post
                        This has me scratching my head. What's there to give a second look at, now that it's been butchered.
                        You don't butcher one from it's ahole to his chest to butcher one. lol

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
                          Good story! Thanks Jerry and QV!

                          Jerry, you know it gets kinda "different" in that lost triangle between Parkersburg, Clarksburg and Charleston.

                          Heck, foolish, you never know about that country.
                          Maybe thats why they call it: "WILD & WONDERFUL.'

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by quadvet View Post
                            Here you go Jerry...weird deal, 19 point doe.
                            http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors....&storyid=33944

                            Mike Tomey of Lewis County had high hopes for the 2009 deer season. All year, Tomey had spied a deer near his hunting area sporting quite a non-typical rack.

                            "I'd been getting pictures of it on a trail cam all summer and fall" said Tomey. "I thought it was a non-typical 9-pointer." Tomey says in past years he'd seen big bucks on his trail cam, but they'd be long gone by hunting season.

                            Friday of the first week of buck season, Tomey was about to give it up for the day amid rainy, miserable conditions -- but on his way out of woods he spied the dear he'd been watching for months.

                            "He dropped at the sound of the gun and I couldn't wait to get to him to see what I had and when I got down there I realized I had more than I thought I did."

                            The rack was certainly non-typical, but with 19-points and three main beams. But that wasn't the most non-typical part. When Tomey lifted the back legs to begin the field dressing is when he noticed something was missing.

                            "I actually was back at the house before I realized I wasn't seeing things," said Tomey. "I field dressed it and had it off the hill. My neighbor came over and looked at it and said, 'That's a doe with antlers.' That's when it dawned on me that I wasn't seeing things."

                            The 19-points on the doe are still in velvet. It's a sight to behold, but not really a pretty one.

                            The chance of a doe having antlers is about one in ten-thousand according to biologists. Antlers begin on a deer's head in the summer with a burst of testosterone. They start as tender flesh in velvet. When the length of daylight starts to shorten, a second burst of testosterone hardens the antlers and the velvet sheds. The doe apparently got the first rush, but not the second.

                            Biologists say a number of things can cause the odd condition. Hormonal changes during pregnancy are often the culprit.

                            Tomey's deer is attracting plenty of attention. Locals have worn a path to his door to have a look, many returning to give it a second look just to make sure their eyes aren’t deceiving them. At the Somerville Exxon in Linn, where Tomey is a regular, it was a wildfire story when he checked the deer in.

                            A couple of Conservation Officers were on hand to take a look, but before you wonder about a ticket the answer is no. Any deer with antlers longer than three inches above the head is a legal kill during buck season in West Virginia.

                            "It's kind of odd, but I've seen a couple of them before," said Larry Somerville who checked in Tomey's doe. "A few years back a guy brought one in, but not as big as this one."
                            <snip>
                            "I’m hoping I can get somebody like Bass Pro Shops or Dick's to maybe mount it and put it someplace for people to see," said Tomey.
                            wow, weird reading about linn in west va, I know right where that exxon is, my moms from cox mills right past this place, we head there twice a year, always see deer everywhere back there
                            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                            Ronald Reagan

                            Comment


                              #29
                              You are about right in my neighborhood bruce. I was born over the hill towards glenville on Ellis. Used to go to Cox Mills to buy beer on Sunday morning. Couldn't buy beer in WV on Sunday, until !opm.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
                                Good story! Thanks Jerry and QV!

                                Jerry, you know it gets kinda "different" in that lost triangle between Parkersburg, Clarksburg and Charleston.
                                only thing different down rt33 thru there is real people and beautiful lands, you can sit in the holler and watch deer just out and about on the hills
                                We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                                Ronald Reagan

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X