Accessible airline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessible airline

Does anyone have the link to that air charter service that has the wheelchair lifts on the plane?

I doubt this is ever going to happen. They have been posting "starting soon" on their website for the last 6 years!!!

http://www.iflymat.org/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      I doubt this is ever going to happen. They have been posting "starting soon" on their website for the last 6 years!!!

http://www.iflymat.org/

(KLD)
      As SCI NURSE said. Don't hold your breath waiting on this. You will never get anywhere.

On the flip side, if they could make it work (i do not see how they possibly can) it is a great idea.

Comment

iflymat bankrupt from what it looks like.

Comment

Not sure about any bankruptcy, but did you notice they added this to their website?

* the FAA currently requires you to transfer to an approved aircraft seat for take off and landing, then transfer back in your wheelchair next to you.
          Since we need a lift to transfer my mother, this really doesn't give much advantage to using their charter service over a regular commercial flight where you also have to sit in a regular airplane seat.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

On my wheelchair it states you can't sit in it when on a plane (my wheelchair is battery powered.) I was told it's a newer model (I received it last November ). So I am very doubtful they are going to do it.

Comment

Still not functioning. Suspect they will never "get off the ground", so to speak.

(KLD)

Comment

Air travel is actually becoming a lot more inaccessible. Southwest use to be great, wheel up next to the front row seat, flip up the armrest and transfer and slide over to the window seat with the flip up armrests in the middle. Not so much anymore, the newer planes they are all getting no longer have flip up armrests, they are fixed so it makes the transfer nearly impossible. I think they are trying to keep us off planes.
                "Life is about how you
                respond to not only the
                challenges you're dealt but
                the challenges you seek...If
                you have no goals, no
                mountains to climb, your
                soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I'd agree Curt. Westjet is our Southwest in Canada. It used to be the same way where you could just go straight on and jump in a seat on the first row.
                  Now they charge a premium for the front seat and so they don't just let you sit there..... some of the newer plane designs mean you have to use that horrible rickety aisle seat to get through a narrower opening to even get to the seats

Comment

Airlines can't say it, and would never admit it, but they hate wheelchair travelers. Look at the fuss they kick up w/ A/B's if their bag exceeds 20lbs... They charge extra. Think they like allowing a chair that weighs 15x that for free? They would be very happy if we were banned from flying.

Comment

I read an article last week that Boeing's new planes are going to have even smaller bathrooms! As a wheelchair user, air travel back in the 90's worldwide was a breeze in comparison to today. You're correct in stating that airlines would love to see us banned from air travel, what confuses me is a Ma n pops restaurant has to have an accessible toilet but the massive airlines can treat you like luggage and give you the middle finger whilst smiling!?!?

Comment

That is why the future of transportation in this country will be on the ground, specially high speed train like in Europe. However the oil companies and airliners will try hard for this to happen. They don't want us on the air? Of course. They are private companies and as such they care more about profit than the costumer. And we take time and space in their airplanes which equals to less money. The only company that would take care of costumers above all would be the government. But, NO!! That is communism. SURE.

Comment

https://www.allwheelsup.org/

Comment

Curt: The information your giving on air travel is wrong!

We fly monthly with Southwest and they do an amazing job of getting us preboard, comfortable, and deplaned.

Damage is minimal once in 5 + years and on several occasions we fly with 2 power wheelchairs one for street one for sand beach use and no extra charges!

Our community is its worse enemy because we keep reposting and rementioning the horror story's of air travel vs the success stories so we scare each other out of traveling!

Plus a lot of none travelers post input based on 3rd hand information but have never flown themselves!

Comment

I am a T6-T7 and over the years have had more problems with TSA than I do with any airline we have ever used. We normally fly with Southwest and they have been very good with dealing with my chair and making sure I have everything that is needed to make sure my travel goes smoothly. I feel if you plan ahead and let them know that you are in a wheelchair from the time you book until the time you get off that plane when you reach your destination. You have to be proactive and make sure you always make contact with the agent at the boarding gate and make yourself visible, you will usually be the first one on the plane and have plenty of help if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X