Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paris?

do and don'ts?

Not leaving tomorrow, maybe it will never happen, but I like to have a plan just in case I am able to go one day.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Don't forget to take me. Paris is a jewel.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Learn French

Comment

Do take pictures to share, don't put up with their up nose attitude towards Americans.

Comment

I don't like Paris. Rome is much nicer
          The most accessible place in Europe is Barcelona.
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I agree w/ WFU, just got back last week, Barcelona beyond accessible, been there twice
            Last edited by Clodivs; 3 Sep 2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Barcelona has the benefit of massive amounts of new construction generated when they hosted the Olympics.
              Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Should state that my niece has just started school there; hence, the reason for Paris.
                Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Comment

It was very hard to get taxis - the wheelchair seemed to scare them off. We finally resorted to hiding and having a hotel bellman flag down a taxi.

Larger streets were more accessible than I expected, with plenty of dropped curbs; smaller streets were very inaccessible (cars parked on the pavement, no dropped curbs, etc). Just go in the street.

Metro was almost completely inaccessible.

Still, I enjoyed it very much.

Comment

Is there a Paris version of CIL/ILC?

Or info for dis @the city?

Comment

went to Paris last year

I see you arent getting very much info. So here is what we experienced in Paris. I am a T3 Para.

ONE BIG RULE: French DO NOT HATE AMERICANS!!! They will go out of their way to help you no matter what. BUTT...if you give them any ignorant american attitude they will return it to you in such magnitude as to you will know why there is this sterotype about French hating americans. We were treated great, no problems.

Basically everything you want to see or do is in the center of Paris. Its like a big Walt disney world. All streets are accessible, plenty of curb cuts. Watch for Traffic, bikes, etc. No problems with taxis. We called, they came.

I tipped a lot, but most people acted strangly when I tipped them. I got the impression that I wasnt sapposed to tip, that it was their pleasure to help me out. So, with this try and see what happens.

I dont speak French, so if you are hungry just ask for french fries. and yes they do call them french fries. There are thousands of cafes, just pic one whuch has a moderate clients, to make sure you are getting some gret food.. Its funny about french food, their portions are super small, like a brownie the size of a shot glass. But what I found was I could eat two meals and never was hungry. Here in america I am always hungrry.

Ok, the sights. The sights are everywhere. We stayed at a 4 star place in Les Halles. This part of the city is closest to the church of Notre Dame,

it is accessible, just one step to get inside. The Best places to see are the eiffel tower and the louver musem. The eiffel they will take you to a side entrance and its FREE! The restrarants on the upper floors arent assible, BUTT..they will gladly set you a place in the window y yourself, to enjoy dinner. They will accomadate you just be nice and ask. and smile! The third level of the eifel tower is only acesible by stairs, but the second level is high enough.

The Louve is also free. Accessible, You will go through the museum, go into the glass pyramid and take a lift down into the lobby. This place is enormace. Plan on spending many days here and because of its age, you must back track and take a hell of a lot of eevators to get around. One small elevater here and one there, back track a little. I didnt mind, it was a huge adventure getting lost. To get to the Mona Lisa and other paintings, we had to take a hidden passage in the crown jewels room to get acroos to the other section of the Louve, it was awsome! Bring water and take your time.

We had to see Mulan Rouge, the real thing! A bit pricey, $250 a couple. They were not accessible, but they were happy enough to have 4 porters acrry me in and down 4 flights of stairs like I was king dingaling. And at the end, they carried me out. Not my thing, but hey, got to see MR. Next store there was a "Quick Burgar" place, I order 2 qand MAN!! they were good, I missed my american food at that point.

There are many arc de triumh in Paris, but the one BIG one, that is most famous is awsome. You can admire from across the street, but you cannot get to it. There was only steps down to a under street passage. No, elevater.

On a side note, DO NOT USE METRO, there is only a few accessible and you will never find them. Take a taxi.

Those were the five things we did, there are hundreds of other things to see, we mainly stayed outside and looked at everytihng as we walked and wheeled.

One thing I better mention, there are NO BATHROOMS, so be prepared to sneak a pee behind a statue of bush. And make use of any bathroom you can fit into along the many cafes. Most places to eat are on the first floor. Some shops have steps, but the vast majority are ramped. And they have elevaters inside.

When in Paris, im sad to say, but you will b the only one not begging for money, I say no "american equivelent" handicapped person, but instead everything handicapped person I saw was begging for money. I didnt give them money. They have what they need to succeed and be like us Americans, we dont let anything keep us down and out.

Hope all this helps, we are going again someday.

Don K.

Comment

Thanks Don.

Making a savings plan!!

Comment

I loved Paris - It's my favourite city, so far. They have wheelchair accessible taxis. I just got the conceirge to call ahead of time and had no problem. Many buses, not all, are accessible (two years ago) and they have a very good bus map that shows accessible bus routes. There are so many routes that overlap that using the bus map you can figure out an accessible route to get you anywhere. I just bought a week's bus pass. Stay in a central location and you'll probably walk most places.

Happy planning. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

Comment

Thanks again.
                            It'll take me a bit of time to save!!

Comment

Originally posted by Liz321 View Post
                              Thanks again.
                              It'll take me a bit of time to save!!
                              Marriott bank card! LOL I have Paris as a land vacation on our list. I was there in 1984 with Army buds. Do not go during any Catholic holiday! Pentacostal weekend they lock up the Louve and Notre Dame and Sacre Couer are filled with worshippers. My TA loves Paris but looking at it from a wheelers perspective her biggest fear for me is lack of transportation not access at restaurants or sites.

And yea, even back when I could remember some high school French I got lost in the bowels of the Earth as their Metro is often called. Share any info you get and I'll swap you mine. We have points for at least 5 days in center city. I also know a firm that does overseas cut rate business and first class seating only. I was there in early May and the weather was great. I'd choose late April/early May or late September/early October and again, look at a good Catholic calendar for planning.
                              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                              X