Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot's License

Have any of you seen this? http://www.ableflight.org/

They help people with physical disabilities earn their pilot's license. It looks pretty neat.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Here is an organization you may want to get in touch with. It is the oldest disabled pilot's organization, and was started by a couple of my clients who were WWII veterans: http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/index.html

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Is qualification in skydiving prerequisite to obtaining a pilot's license? I pretty damn sure that anyone flying with me is gonna want to have a chute and know how to use it!
      Rick Goldstein
      GO! Mobility Solutions
      facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

skydiving has nothing to do with obtaining a pilot's license. all you need is a medical certificate and a radio operator's license. i flew for yrs and live by the old pilot adage: "why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?".

Comment

Baah, I dont need no stinkin' license!

Comment

Pretty sweet copter man! You should build a volcano.

Comment

better be careful! someone recently saw one of those things go down and called 911 reporting a real crash!

Comment

Hey Saorsa.

Had my license a little under a year... Great challenge and worthwhile taking up if you have the money to do it... got my cross country endorsement (in (ultralights as well) as well working on aerobatics endorsement but have run into money troubles for a little bit...

Hey Andy You enjoyin' another one of my passions - RC... Very cool chopper dude. Got a few of my own, not scale tho, built for 3d... Curtis Youngblood ain't got nuthin' on me... Yeah right... lol. Is that a hirobo frame in that chopper. Looks a lot like a hirobo head, i could be wrong it is spinning at 1800rpm.

Comment

I had a private pilot's license for a few years prior to my SCI.

Now I am trying hard to get my medical certificate reissued. However, it was refused. They cited my history of paraplegia as the reason. They also mentioned specifically Baclofen and Dantrolene.

It pisses me off that they can decide not to issue a certificate because of a side effect (drowsiness) that I do not suffer from?

I can steer the plane using my feet, but I need the baclofen to stop them spasming too much. If I come off the baclofen, I am less safe flying the plane. I have NO history of any drowsiness. Why can I drive a car (lethal weapon) and take baclofen, yet not fly a small plane???

Then I write to wheelchairaviators for help and get a shrug of the shoulders. I must be the first SCI to try to get his medical cert.

FWIW, I am telling the FAA I came off the drugs and I still going to take them.

Comment

FWIW, I am telling the FAA I came off the drugs and I still going to take them.
                    Something about this statement bothers me a lot.
                    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

Comment

MarkB -
                      Unfortunately, since you have already been denied a medical, that blocks you out of the sport pilot route. That's the path I've taken, due to a different issue (had to sell out of our Skylane partnership though, dammit).

Are you an AOPA (Aircraft Owner and Pilots Association) member?
                      Go to the AOPA forums http://forums.aopa.org/, get on the "medical matters" forum.
                      Dr. Bruce Chien, who you will find there, is a LOT of help. He will give you the straight answer, whether or not you like hearing it. If there's any way to get your medical back, and if you will level with him and work with him, he will work his rear end off to help you get it. A warning, however - he will not put up with nonsense. He would not like your last statement; that alone is enough to deny you a medical (anti-authority).
                      Good luck, I hope you find a way to get back in the air.
                      - Richard

Comment

Thanks for that contact info....I'll look into it.

And my other statement was a joke made in frustration. I love flying, and there is absolutely no reason I shouldn't be.

Comment

Baclofen Pilot

Hi Mark

first sorry for my poor english

I am a incomplete quad ( walking, left leg quite good ) and a made my microlight pilot lizenz 1996. I take 6 x 10 mg Baclofen per day since 1978. The Doc told me Baclofen could be a problem. I got a lot of information form Ciba Geigy ( the former manufactory ).
                          I never have had side effects and have had no problem with the LBA ( the german FAA),
                          but 96 the valid roules was ICAO. I have no experience with the newer JAR-FCL

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                            Baah, I dont need no stinkin' license!
                            The Little Bird you have there is pretty cool. I used to fly the full scale version them (A/MH-6).

Comment

Originally posted by 6GunCobra View Post
                              The Little Bird you have there is pretty cool. I used to fly the full scale version them (A/MH-6).
                              Thanks! Those newer versions are pretty neat, gotta love the Hughes 500 and how it evolves. I'd love to build a MELB version, but the 6 bladed head is kind of hard to come by.

A couple changes...going old school as a OH-6A with 4 blades and origional tail...

Comment

Working...
                              X