Ok, I bought me a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I bought me a guitar

Now I want to learn how to play it! My youngest is trying to help me but he has a very short patience and I'm pretty damm dumb when it comes to this! I use to play drums but my feet wont work now so I have always wanted to learn how to play so.......why not now? anybody got any words of advice I need all the help I can get!

I taught myself when I was a young teen. The Hal Leonard books helped. Keep your fingernails short (I could never pick with my fingernails *shivers*) and develop those calluses as fast as you can by practicing every day!

I liked the thumb picks that would securely stay on your thumb, personally.

It's been a long time for me though. Good luck! I have a violin collecting dust until I find a teacher ..
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

oh duge! oh, that is so cool. I can show you some things. If you have a steel string guitar put on silk and steel diadario or martin strings. less sore fingers. more playing time. nice sound, easy to push againts the finger board.

Comment

I personally think the easiest way to get going is by learning how to read guitar tab. You don't have to know how to read music to read tab and once you get the basics of it down it will open up lots of avenues. http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/less...ad-guitar-tab/
        This is a quick tutorial. There are numerous tab sites out there, just Google a song and then add on "guitar tab" behind it and something should pop up.

Comment

utube teaches a lot of stuff you want to play.

Comment

Learn the minor pentatonic blues scale and you're sorted for life!

Comment

Originally posted by duge View Post
              anybody got any words of advice I need all the help I can get!
              Awesome... I just started learning myself not long ago.
              I have found YouTube to be very helpful. One of my favorites on YouTube is rockongoodpeople from www.nextlevelguitar.com.

Good Luck and happy picking.

T.
              "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." ~ Acts 2:38

Endtime Ministries

Comment

Hi
                I too took up guitar not long ago. I found a web site that is extremely helpful. It is justinguitar.com I learned quite a bit on this site. It is free

Comment

Originally posted by rossm View Post
                  Learn the minor pentatonic blues scale and you're sorted for life!
                  I agree, you can have a lot of fun with just this one scale

Comment

All good advice! I second the Hal Leonard books. Very thorough. I play almost exclusively with my fingernails, which is different that some, but the tonal options available to a nail are wider than with a finger alone, IMO. Tab is useful but reading notation isn't much harder and will allow you to communicate and integrate with other musicians easier, and also allow you to take music for other instruments and transcibe it to the guitar without having to figure it out by ear. Cello and fiddle are my favorites to make guitar music from!

I think the consistency of practice is better than the length. 10-15 minutes a day, every day, is better than 1 hour or more once a week, IMO.

Enjoy and good luck!
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

There are tons of guitar instruction DVDs available through NetFlix. Rent and dub.
                      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Man my fingers are so sore!! Already, I have trimmed back my nails. My son goes "there's NO way your gonna play with any nails so.......I'm cutting them back everyday also! Thanks for the help everyone! Keep it coming though!

Comment

Duge, congrats. I don't play any instrument at all now but did try the keyboard there for awhile. Nick though, he loves the guitar and has one. He plays by ear. I love to hear him play my favorite, Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Hope you enjoy playing it as much as I see him enjoy his. Also, I hear it is a good way to lose yourself in it and get away from it all, you know what I mean?

Raven
                          Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
                          but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Originally posted by duge View Post
                            Man my fingers are so sore...
                            That will soon go away just keep it up as long as you can each time and pretty soon you won't even notice it anymore.

T.
                            "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." ~ Acts 2:38

Endtime Ministries

Comment

hae I can play a mean guitar

Power cords then you have freedom to jam , Ive been playing along time, cant read but i can hear it. Im trying to get back into it,music is your soul

Comment

Working...
                              X