Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gun to get for home defense?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Leif View Post
    The OP didn’t ask about federal law, did he
    If he has to use it and gets caught with a short sawed off, bad bad things can happen to him. That's why I mentioned it.
    Andrew

    Comment


      #17
      trying them out first and having someone teach you is a great idea. i have seen some pretty nice .410 double barrels for home defence....

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Leif View Post
        Short barreled Remington 870 express magnum holstered to your bed like on a horse.
        12ga.

        http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...gs=pagenum%3D1

        Comment


          #19
          good old M60
          http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

          Comment


            #20
            There's not much advice i can give here that hasn't already been said. Like several others have said, a good double action revolver in .357Mag/.38Spl with a 4 or 6 inch barrel is probably the best choice. Revolvers are relatively simple to operate, you can save your brass (and learn to reload, which is a whole new hobby in and of itself) and they're usually a little less expensive than autoloaders.
            ancientgimp said that staying in your room is the best course of action, and this is true. Nothing in the house is worth getting hurt over except you and your loved ones, and by getting up and about to confront a potential intruder you give away a basic tactical advantage (barricade defense vs. mobility), all the more so with your having to use an AFO and cane to ambulate. Best to slide behind the bed and use it as a barricade. Chances are that your dogs will make a snack out of any intruders anyway!

            I would also highly recommend you get a .22LR handgun, either revolver (ironically, .22 revolvers tend to cost more) or autoloader. Simply put, you have to practice the basics and nowadays with ammo prices having gone crazy .22 is about the only thing one can afford to shoot much. And besides, its a lot of fun too

            Try before you buy, take your time regardless of what you decide to get, do your homework - decide what you need and want in a firearm, etc, and save up your money. Always, ALWAYS treat firearms with respect and responsibility - and particularly if you have kids in the house. Like all of us, I knew where everything in the house was. Your kids will too, and it's naturally up to you to teach them the appropriate responsibility. And most of all, enjoy your new gun!

            Tom

            Comment


              #21
              Tom, CLC, Dave Berg, Them Bones,
              Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I think the advice is good about not trying to get the AFO on and fumble around in the dark with a loaded gun - what was I thinking. Staying in the bedroom makes sense.
              My dog does have a loud bark, but then he comes up to perfect strangers wagging his tail looking for love - not exactly what I would wish him to do.
              Thursday - afternoon - shooting range..... I will stay in touch with you all.
              Jon

              Comment


                #22
                if i could use my hands, i'd get a pump shotgun. it's loud when you load it and there's no mistaking that noise for anyone in the near vacinity. it says "i'm locked and loaded. c'mon!"

                plus you don't need to aim much to hit an intruder. you need to be really careful and deliberate though before you start shooting in a dark house. you don't want to make a mistake and kill someone you love. hence the need to shout plenty of warnings.

                and you don't want your kids, if you have any, able to get to your firearms when you're not there.
                http://www.dsportsman.com

                Comment


                  #23
                  Jon, I was giving a little more thought to this thread. I admit I overlooked a factor in my first response; that you're carrying a cane on your strong side. Given that, I suggest you look into a handgun that's DAO (double-action only) with no external safety. If you decide you really prefer a safety then be sure to get a gun with one that's ambidextrious so you can use it easily with either hand, but on a DAO gun the trigger itself has a long and relatively heavy pull which acts as a "safety" on it's own since it takes a deliberate action to pull the trigger. I also suggest you stick with a 9mm for the sake of less recoil since you may have to use either hand.

                  A good example of a DAO is a Glock. (Most any DAO gun has an option for a safety to meet the requirements of some law enforcement agencies, but the standard configuration is without this.) In a Glock, look at the 17 or 19. Smith & Wesson have an excellent model called the M&P in 9mm that comes in a full-sized or compact frame and you can replace the backstrap on the grip to adjust it to better fit your hand. Of the two, I prefer the M&P. Springfield also makes an excellent 9mm DAO pistol, the XD, but I have not had personal experience with that one.

                  I'm sticking with the idea of a semi-auto for the sake of greater ammo capacity. Perhaps some here will disagree with this line of reasoning, but for someone who is disabled and may be forced to stand their ground rather than attempt escape of a situation, you might prefer the option of carrying more rounds than what a revolver can handle.

                  If you think you might get a concealed-carry permit at some point and want to use this gun for that purpose, stick with a compact to medium frame.

                  I'm leaving the idea of a shotgun aside for the time being since you may need to have a free hand for the sake of mobility.

                  Whatever you get be sure to get plenty of practice with either hand.

                  Oh yeah, I mentioned Crimson Trace before. Here's their website so you can see their products. Not cheap, but worth it if you can afford to go this route.
                  http://www.crimsontrace.com/

                  I don't know what sort of cane you use, but you ought to at least glance at the stuff from Cold Steel, at least for fun. They make some off-the-wall products that can be used for self-defense, including walking sticks and canes.
                  http://www.coldsteel.com/sticksportal.html

                  Comment


                    #24
                    With respect, how prevalent is theft/break in, in everyone's respective areas?

                    Would the guns still be sought after if not prevalent?

                    Sorry, one more question: How many of the previous posters have been assaulted/burglarized?
                    And the truth shall set you free.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
                      With respect, how prevalent is theft/break in, in everyone's respective areas?

                      Would the guns still be sought after if not prevalent?

                      Sorry, one more question: How many of the previous posters have been assaulted/burglarized?
                      I live in a "trendy, historic, upscale" section of town that's decidedly upper-middle class. (Don't have a clue what I'm doing here. ) Last year we had someone kick in one of our basement windows in the middle of the night, but they were apparently scared off by hearing my son's footsteps rushing across the floor when he was going to see about the noise in the basement. There have also been a few recent home invasion robberies within 2-3 miles of my home and last year there was a well-publicized mass shooting at the city hall about 3 blocks from my house. That said, the overall crime rate is still low and this is still considered a "nice/desireable" area. The problem is, even "nice" areas are only a short drive from the "bad" areas.

                      I have never been assaulted, but my wife once years ago (before we met) used a firearm to confront an intruder in her living room while she had 3 small kids at her side. My oldest son was confronted by a guy with a gun in a parking lot, however without going into too much detail my son recognized that the gun wasn't loaded and after a few threats from the thug, my son knocked the gun out of his hand and gained control of the situation. This happened about 2 weeks after he finished basic training, so the thug really picked the wrong guy at the wrong time.

                      Personally, I'm hoping my luck holds out and I never had to use my handgun for anything other than practice, I enjoy that just fine. In 10 days my wife and I are going to another handgun training session to kick off the new year, but I practice on my own at least weekly with either handgun or shotgun. For anyone who wants to develop some basic proficiency with the shotgun, I highly recommend you spend some time shooting trap or skeet. My pholosophy is that if you can hit a 4.5" clay disc flying through the air, you shouldn't have much trouble with a bad guy across the room.

                      As for your question about whether guns would still be sought after if crime was low, I'd say I look at it sort of like fire extinguishers. I'd much rather have and not need, than to need and not have.
                      Last edited by David Berg; 21 Jan 2009, 9:25 AM.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Talk about a handgun..... my son bought himself a Judge last week. qouted to be the ultimate gun for protection!

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Well played. I'd put a NRA sign out front to boot.

                          Originally posted by David Berg View Post
                          I live in a "trendy, historic, upscale" section of town that's decidedly upper-middle class. (Don't have a clue what I'm doing here. ) Last year we had someone kick in one of our basement windows in the middle of the night, but they were apparently scared off by hearing my son's footsteps rushing across the floor when he was going to see about the noise in the basement. There have also been a few recent home invasion robberies within 2-3 miles of my home and last year there was a well-publicized mass shooting at the city hall about 3 blocks from my house. That said, the overall crime rate is still low and this is still considered a "nice/desireable" area. The problem is, even "nice" areas are only a short drive from the "bad" areas.

                          I have never been assaulted, but my wife once years ago (before we met) used a firearm to confront an intruder in her living room while she had 3 small kids at her side. My oldest son was confronted by a guy with a gun in a parking lot, however without going into too much detail my son recognized that the gun wasn't loaded and after a few threats from the thug, my son knocked the gun out of his hand and gained control of the situation. This happened about 2 weeks after he finished basic training, so the thug really picked the wrong guy at the wrong time.

                          Personally, I'm hoping my luck holds out and I never had to use my handgun for anything other than practice, I enjoy that just fine. In 10 days my wife and I are going to another handgun training session to kick off the new year, but I practice on my own at least weekly with either handgun or shotgun. For anyone who wants to develop some basic proficiency with the shotgun, I highly recommend you spend some time shooting trap or skeet. My pholosophy is that if you can hit a 4.5" clay disc flying through the air, you shouldn't have much trouble with a bad guy across the room.

                          As for your question about whether guns would still be sought after if crime was low, I'd say I look at it sort of like fire extinguishers. I'd much rather have and not need, than to need and not have.
                          And the truth shall set you free.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
                            Well played. I'd put a NRA sign out front to boot.
                            No, I prefer to not "advertise" with anything of that sort on my house, car, or clothing, though I have laughed at the possibility of this sign.


                            I don't intend to participate in turning this thread into a 2nd amendment debate. I was just trying to answer Jon's, and then your, questions honestly. If you want to continue in that direction I'll be happy to carry on in the Political forum, but from this point forward I'll try to keep this thread to Jon's original purpose. I don't see this subject as a topic to be "played". Jon is making a choice for himself if he elects to purchase a firearm and I'm just trying to offer my 2 cents worth of input.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by wheelz99 View Post
                              if i could use my hands, i'd get a pump shotgun. it's loud when you load it and there's no mistaking that noise for anyone in the near vacinity. it says "i'm locked and loaded. c'mon!"

                              plus you don't need to aim much to hit an intruder. you need to be really careful and deliberate though before you start shooting in a dark house. you don't want to make a mistake and kill someone you love. hence the need to shout plenty of warnings.

                              and you don't want your kids, if you have any, able to get to your firearms when you're not there.
                              Spot on here. I'd get a pump 12 gauge shotgun.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I have a 38. It did me no good this week because they came while I wasn't home and took all of our stuff. It is on my chair at all times.

                                I prefer something a little smaller/lighter but this one was given to me so I'm saving for the one I want. Post pics later.
                                If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.


                                Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X