Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting Pictures - Show your "Stuff" - Hunting stuff that is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Pictures - Show your "Stuff" - Hunting stuff that is...

I looked and did not see where other folk with spinal cord injuries had a place to share their hunting pictures. It seems to me that this would be a thread that not only allowed us to show off "trophies" but would also be a "how to" thread. They say a picture is worth 1000 words. I would love to see how other people with spinal cord injuries get out in the woods and HUNT!

The attachments below are images of my hunting rig and the results of a succesful doe hunt on our hunt club.
    Last edited by Grange; 20 Dec 2008, 4:57 AM.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Here I am setting up my hunting blind/tent

These images show the steps that work for me to set up my hunting blind/tent. I'll try to get some of me taking it down to post later. I find ground hunting to be very successful but I have to be extremely aware of the wind direction as I set up my blind location.

Comment

Pic's look good. I hunted with crutches before injury, but not since. i'm starting to get ready for next year now. Finding all my gear, and trying to make some adaptations. We've got a spot in Eastern Washington that'll be a knockdown spot. Just need my boys to drag thenm out.

Comment

Looks like you have it going on for hunting. Nice setup. I feed the deer. Thier about 30 yards from the house. I could just open the window and wack one. LOL There was a nice 8 point there the other day , was tempting. I like to see them though and the turkey.
        oh well

Comment

You say a picture says a 1000 words, the picture of you with the doe in the bed of a truck 6/6/2007. Every Conservation Officer in this country would like to know about shooting deer in June when fawns are not a month old in a 1000 words or less??????????

Comment

Originally posted by 219152 View Post
            You say a picture says a 1000 words, the picture of you with the doe in the bed of a truck 6/6/2007. Every Conservation Officer in this country would like to know about shooting deer in June when fawns are not a month old in a 1000 words or less??????????
            I'm guessing that the date on the camera is wrong.

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga....tegory=hunting
            "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Comment

You folk are sticklers for accuracy aren't you. Yeah I was using my son's camera and he does't care about settings like time and date. That's all it is. The camera date is not set correctly. I just harvested that doe last Thursday 12/18/08. Don't send the law looking for me. If you notice I was a bit overdressed for June!!!!!

Comment

I picked up some camo for my wife.
                oh well

Comment

Originally posted by Grange View Post
                  You folk are sticklers for accuracy aren't you. Yeah I was using my son's camera and he does't care about settings like time and date. That's all it is. The camera date is not set correctly. I just harvested that doe last Thursday 12/18/08. Don't send the law looking for me. If you notice I was a bit overdressed for June!!!!!
                  Don't worry about the comment.Nice set set up.Looks like alot of fun.Keep roll'n man.
                  Be yourself!!!
                  http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
                  BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
                  Sponsored Athlete
                  http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
                  www.genegvd.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grange View Post
                    These images show the steps that work for me to set up my hunting blind/tent. I'll try to get some of me taking it down to post later. I find ground hunting to be very successful but I have to be extremely aware of the wind direction as I set up my blind location.
                    Now that's what I call ingenious!

Comment

Grange, how does that doghouse blind work for you? I use a powerchair and I sit way too tall to use them. I have to lean over to peek ot the window and doing that in teen temp weather makes for a long day and killer neck pains

We have 10-12 Penthouse (bigger version of the doghouse) that we use in our program here in Va. I need that extra window height. Of course, folding up a Penthouse would be a bit tougher for you than the smaller doghouse.

I've about given up on being able to have a wallhanger to post this year. I've passed on several small bucks, 2 basket rack 8's, and missed, or couldn't find a nice 8 pointer with my ML. I've taken 6 does and I guess my "trophy" for the year was a big doe I shot at 339 yds two weeks ago. 243 wssm
                      "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Grange,
                        Nice set up up and you make it look easy too. I have a Permobil power chair that I'm going to try hunting Turkey's in the Spring. I use a manual most of the time, I think I will get spoiled with the power chair.

Have you ever moved around short distances with the Blind assembled and you in it?

Comment

Hey Deadeye... The doghouse blind works pretty good with the Bruno I am on. I do have to hook the front side up on the front bumper to get the windows up higher so I don't have to lean over to see out. I usually use the Doghouse when I am hunting new spots or trying to get in just the right spot to ambush "Brutus" the 13 pointer. I have several of the larger tents that I leave in place for the whole season on our food plots so the deer get used to them. I stake them down using bungee cords so I can undo them easily to lift them up and drive under. The only problem is the occasional really big wind event. I have arrived to hunt and found my tent gone for an excursion in the woods. I have luckily been able to find all that have done that with minimal damage. I am in the process of building some more permanent shooting houses to put on those plots. I have set up the larger tents by myself but it is hard and I can't be very stealthy.

Hey Wheels4One... I haven't tried driving around with it set-up. It would probably be possible but not worth the aggravation. I suppose if I am looking for material for America's Funniest Videos I could try it. I can set that blind up in practically no time. Taking it down is pretty easy too. I normally use a manual chair also but the Bruno opens up a whole lot more opportunity for me in the woods. It's a pretty good little unit.

Here in Georgia we get to hunt well into Mid January. I'm still hoping for a shot at the "Big One". I am really trying to get my 14 year old son looking down the barrel at one. He had to sit and watch the aforementioned 13 pointer at about 200 yards lift his head up and down feeding just over the crest of a hill. His head would come up and go down then it would pop up about ten feet to the right. Then ten feet back to the left. He watched it do this for 20 minutes. It never crested the hill. He didn't want to try a head shot. He was a very mad young man.

I have not tried turkey hunting yet since my airplane accident in March 2006. I am hoping to try it this spring. The new place I am hunting has more access than my previous lease. I miss hear "Old Tom" firing gobbles into a misty spring Georgia morn. Few things can send chills up a mans back and bring a smile to his face like a Tom double clutching as he comes in to your call. At least few things that don't involve taking your clothes off.

Hey Dead Eye my dad was born and raised in Staunton, VA. That is some beautiful country up there. I've always wondered what it was like to hunt there. Lots more open space than here in Georgia.

Let's keep telling lies and talking hunting guys. Thanks for responding.

Comment

We went out the past 2 weekends for 2nd season shot gun season. I shoot out of my truck window, and just drive around since we party hunt. Cuz no way would I want to deal with 0* weather 10mph winds and 6"+ of snow. Plus our group loves me when I come pick them up at the end of the drive after they've walked a mile up and down ravines, through multiflowera rose bushes, creeks, fences all while trudging through the snow.

I wish I had a camera to take a pic of the pile of empty shells from this past Saturday. I shot 15 times at a group of 9 does that were about 100 yards away. Didn't hit a one of them. They just stood there too!! My buddies were posted to the east about 150 yards, and the walkers were 300 yards or so to the west. We chased about 15 or so out of that nursery/timber. We didn't get any.

The week before we walked through a corn field that hadn't been picked yet. I was on the road because I couldn't get into a field because it was to muddy, and I didn't wanna get stuck. Anyways, my buddy called me and said that there were 2 does that ran up in the middle of the next field, so I take off up the road to check it out. I see the 2 does and am ready to go into chase mode. But they start trotting back towards all of my buddies, anyways I then throw the truck into reverse, and the next thing you know, I'm doing 40mph in reverse right along side of these 2 does chasing them down the road back towards the hunters. I get about 50 yards from my buddies, I slam on the brakes and then they unload on the 2 does. My chair in the box of the truck slams into the tailgaid and almost flips out of the box. But the best thing was.... we got both does!! Even though they turned out to be bambi's baby sisters...

T8/9 (2-24-06)
                            IOWA

Comment

Hey RSieck,
                              I haven't been on a good deer drive like that in a long time. There is a dog season in several counties here in Georgia. Mostly south of where I live. I used to know some guys with dogs years ago but have lost touch with them. Your story brings back memories though. Those running shots can be a challenge for sure.

Thanks for sharing. The next best thing to being there hunting is talking about it and sharing it with buddies.

I'm looking forward to getting back out in the blind Christmas afternoon. I'll probably fall asleep in the blind after eating a big old CHristmas day meal.

Comment

Working...
                              X