No announcement yet.

Hunting Pictures - Show your "Stuff" - Hunting stuff that is...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Well.... what a difference a day makes. I woke up this morning feeling much less pain and much less drugged. I talked Trey into going hunting with me again this afternoon. We got there a little bit late and decided to go sit in some stands we have not hunted this year. I gave him first choice. He chose E2 and I chose E12. At 5:56 the doe in the back of my pickup in the attached picture walked out. She had 2 friends but they were way smaller. Proabably her yearlings. At 6:05 the 30.06 growled. She weighs 140 on the hoof. You should have seen my 100 lb son pulling her up into the pick up bed. LOL!!!!!!! I wish he had chosen E12!! Oh well... we are gonna try again tomorrow afternoon after school and then again on Thursday. That is closing day here in Georgia. maybe he'll get another shot at big boy!

    Wow WheelZ nice Muley. SHare a little bit of your hunt with us.

    Nice LLama!!!! I hear you have to be careful hunting those. If you shoot and miss they'll spit in your eye!!!!!!!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!


      evonne darlin' you just say when & where and we'll set it up. i'd love to come out and hunt with you. just didn't know if you still wanted to. lol.

      i got that mulie on an outdoor buddies hunt near cortez, colorado. it was a short notice thing and since i have gun-will travel, i was able to make it. we hunted fresh cut alfalfa fields on small farms that the landowners allowed us to hunt and saw lots of deer. only a few were mature bucks though and we spotted this one right at dark on the last day of my hunt. my volunteer guide tim drug me 300 yds so i could take a 300 yd shot during the last minute of shooting light. got him!

      ha! evonne, i missed my buck in ks. and didn't see anything worth shooting in texas all season. next year maybe...


        hey fish'n guy, what's stopping you from hunting again?


          Nice buck Chad!
          "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein


            Great thread! Thanks for sharing.

            Nice muley Wheelz!

            Here is a picture of my elk two years ago.

            Here is a pict of my son and the elk that I got this year.

            Both were taken on the general, any bull elk hunt.
            Last edited by sledboy; 12 Jan 2009, 5:20 PM.


              Sled...those are 2 great pics! Details bro....distance, rifle,etc.


                Sled, great pics. I've got a 300 mag and 7mm mag just dying to say hello to a big elk!
                "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein


                  Originally posted by graybeard View Post
                  Sled...those are 2 great pics! Details bro....distance, rifle,etc.
                  Supposed to be about 3 degrees Sat. morning at the Ranch so dress warm! We'll have propane heaters for the blinds.

                  Also, there's potential for some long shots so come ready to stretch it out. The stand they're putting me in they say has up to 500 yd shots. So don't bring your 30-30
                  "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein


                    Originally posted by wheelz99 View Post
                    grange, i don't have a link up yet but the site is i'm getting the 70"X70" model. i'll add a link today from my site. you can search online and find them for $150.
                    I did see the 70x70 model, nice and roomy. But all the models I saw only have a corner entry zipper which are a bitch to try and get into when it's staked down. Maybe your 70" model is different and if so, I'd love to get one and give it a try. And I do like how the windows open up so much.

                    I agree the Penthouse material could be stronger but for the price and ease of use, it's the best we've found for our use.

                    Edited: I checked and nowhere close are they sold. Got a link to a store?
                    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein


                      deadeye, yes they all have corner zip entry, BUT the zipper disconnects at the bottom just like your coat zipper does so you can bend that flap backwards and up in order to create an entryway big enough to roll into the blind. you can't tell that by looking.


                        OK. Here is the story on the first one, two years ago.

                        While doing some scouting, I heard of a spot that elk will sometimes travel through. So my friend, Victor and I planned the hunt. We would walk/roll in about half a mile, set up a blind and see if we could ambush some elk as they passed through. Saturday morning turned up nothing but a distant bugle. So I moved on to another area that also turned up nothing.

                        I did not have the time to hunt the second day but Monday I was back at it. That evening, Kody (my 12 year old son), Victor and I sat in the blind waiting and hoping. We were on the side of a small, tree covered hill looking through a clearing towards another knoll covered with trees. Victor had seen elk in the past skirting along the group of trees that we were watching. We had gotten there at about 4:30 and was hoping to see something before dark.

                        Well, we waited and waited and waited. It was about 7:40 and with only about 5 more minutes of shooting light, I had almost given up hope. I think Victor was also getting frustrated and he got up to walk around the knoll to see if there was anything sneaking around the back side. He had been gone for about a minute when Kody and I heard a bugle far off in the distant. I thought to myself that there was no way that the elk could travel that far in the little time we had left.

                        Then, all of the sudden, I caught some movement to my left. There was a cow and two calves trotting down through the middle of the clearing, much closer than I had expected. They were passing directly between the two knolls, about 60 yards away. I threw my gun up and got ready. A few seconds passed and about 4 or 5 more cows and calves passed by us. There were only about two good shooting lanes between the trees and branches that we were hiding behind. I waited for what seemed like a minute but was probably more like 20 seconds. I remember thinking in frustration, "COME ON! THERE HAS TO BE A BULL FOLLOWING THEM!". About then, I saw another elk trotting slowly following the same path as the others. Because it was pretty gray at this point, I didn't immediately see antlers. But a second later as he turned his head, I saw numerous white tips of antlers. As I saw him, I instantly knew that I wanted to take the shot. I rested the rifle directly down the first shooting lane and waited. When he entered my scope, I settled the cross-hairs just behind his shoulders and squeezed the trigger. It was probably more of a yank, but who's keeping track?

                        Now I am sorry but I must digress for just a moment. Victor is a big magnum fan and has always razzed me for my little girl gun, a .270 WSM. In his arsenal is a .375 RUM, .338 RUM, .300 RUM, 7mm RUM, .300 WSM, 7 Rem Mag and a .270 WSM. Last year, his weapon of choice for elk was the .375 RUM as he pounded a very nice 5X6. He mocks me saying the .270 WSM is his pea-shooter or "girl gun".

                        However, my dad has killed more elk with this .270 Win than most people see in a life time. So when it came time for me to get a bigger gun than my .243 that I had used growing up, I succumbed to the marketing hype and instead of getting a .270 Win, I got a .270 WSM. I shot my spike two years ago with a 130 grain Hornady Interbond. I hit him perfectly in the chest and the bullet exited. It ran about 40 yards before piling up. But after talking to people and reading on the internet that the lowly .270 is a little small for big bull elk and after having trouble getting the interbonds to group well, I tried some Barnes TSX bullets. I finally was able to get them to group extremely well, putting 5 shots in a group the size of a quarter.

                        One thing that everyone brags about the Barnes TSX bullet is that it knocks animals right down. Without really thinking about it, I got the stupid impression in my mind that if I shot an elk with this bullet, it would drop immediately. Well, at my shot, I was kind of surprised that he did not drop. It was really a silly thought now that I think about it. As I recovered from the recoil, it did not appear that he had even flinched but actually quickened his pace. Cows were scattering and running away from us and in the direction they had came. But my bull was still up and running.

                        I have to tell you now that I was a little worried. About half way up the hill we had been watching was a fence. This fence marked the boundary of the hunting area. If the bull got to and jumped the fence, now only about 70 or 80 yards from the bull, he would be forever gone. Instinctively, I jacked another round in and settled my cross-hairs in the middle of the second opening between the branches. The bull appeared and I shoot a little quicker this time, hoping to put my second bullet through his shoulders. The bull slowed way down while turning away from me, staggered a little and went down. I waited for a few seconds to make sure he was not getting back up and the celebration began. Victor ran off the hill down to him to make sure he was going to stay down. Kody and I started whooping and hollering as we looked briefly for my brass.

                        I made my way down to him as the adrenaline subsided and the darkness settled in. The excitement level was off the charts. It was AWESOME! I am biased but I think he is a very nice, beautiful 5x5. I couldn't be any happier!

                        My first shot hit just behind the shoulder and exited. The other hit a little high in the shoulder, passing through the first shoulder blade and then breaking the second shoulder. We found it half way through the skin on the far side. I cleaned it off and weighed it. It started life as a 130 gr .277 bullet. It weighed 129.8 grains and expanded to a beautiful mushroom with a width of .58" at it widest point. Both bullets caused major damage and trauma. This is the first time I have used these bullets and personally, I think they are a little expensive. But I must admit that they seem to do exactly what Barnes claims.

                        I must thank Victor big time. He took time away from work to go with me. Then he spent until 4:00 am gutting, skinning and caping without a complaint. I owe him big time! It was an incredible hunt and I am glad I got to share it with Kody and Victor.


                          And here is the story of the one I got this year.

                          My Dad, son Tarrin and I hunted the first three days of the season with only seeing one elk track. Yes, only one track!

                          There were other hunters in the area and we talked to quite a few of them. None of them had seen any elk and no one had gotten one either. I was getting quite discouraged and knew that I had made a mistake by not sticking to my original plans of going to a different area that was much farther from where I live. In fact, during the middle of the day on Monday, we even discussed making the 5 hour trip to our original spot for the last day of the hunt. But, with the time and expense involved, we just decided to stick it out.

                          That night, we met a rancher that had been running cattle in the area most of the year. He told us that he had seen a few elk throughout the year, but most of them had been cows and calves. He had seen a few spikes but only one branch-antlered bull, a 5-point rag horn. I knew then that we were in the wrong place.

                          We had been staking out water holes for the last two nights but decided to cruise around instead, hoping to see something moving around at dusk. As we entered the meadow where our trailer was parked, we noticed a cow and calf in the middle. We watched them for a couple of minutes as we got out of the truck.

                          Then my son suggested blowing the bugle and cow call just to see what would happen. I resisted a little telling him that it was pointless since we could see that there was no bull in the meadow and we were at the camper for heaven's sakes. "We certainly could not call anything into our camp!"

                          Well, he handed me the bugle anyway and I let out a couple of cow calls. But as soon as I bugled, I got an answer! I was surprised to say the least but thought, "OK, lets play with him a little." I kept cow calling but every time I would bugle, he would bugle back. And with every bugle, he would sound closer. All three of us were having the time of our lives. We had never been able to bugle in a bull before. My son was particularly excited as this was the first bugle he had ever heard in the wild.

                          Then about five or so minutes later with the light quickly fading, my father spotted an elk at the edge of the trees, about 140 yards away. I could not believe it! It was a little 4x5 rag horn facing directly toward us, trying to figure out what he was looking at. I was shooting my .270 WSM with Barnes 130 gr. TSX bullets. I have never taken a shot on an animal that was facing directly toward me but I had confidence in my loads. At the shot, he whirled and ran into the trees. We listened closely as we heard the beating of his hooves slowly fade into the distance. "Dang it," I thought. "I was hoping to hear him crash" but that sound never came.

                          As we made our way over to where we had last seen him, my son mentioned the other elk. My father and I looked at him and asked, "What other elk?" He explained that there was another smaller elk closer to the trees. I had been so focused on the bull that I had never seen the other elk.

                          We soon found a set of prints but could see no blood. By this time, it was getting dark enough that we needed to get the flashlights to help us. A sinking feeling came over me as I thought about the prospects. "Did I simply miss or did I wound him? Are we going to find him tonight? What condition will the meat be in if we find him tomorrow...if we ever find him."

                          About that time, my son (whom I was very proud of), says, "Hey, here's some more tracks." As I made my way closer to him, he also blurted out "And here's some blood!" Sure enough, another set of tracks and blood! As Tarrin and I had our noses to the ground looking, my dad looked up and shined his flashlight ahead. "Uh, he's right here." He had only made it about 25 yards from where he had been shot. A single tree had obscured our view of him falling. And all this happened only 140 yards from our trailer. We were all relieved and elated!

                          As we field dressed him, I was struck with how little damage there was to his vitals. The bullet definitely hit his lungs and he had massive internal bleeding, but not near the devastation that I expected from an elk that only made it 25 yards. Tarrin also wanted to find the bullet to see what happened to it. We could see the entrance hole but no clear exit hole. So the next morning, Tarrin set out to find the bullet. We could vaguely make out the bullet's path and it ended at a hole in the front of the stomach. My curiosity ended with the statement, "Well, I bet it is still inside the stomach." However, this did not damper his curious nature. I slit the stomach wide open for him, he donned the latex gloves and dove in. After about 15 minutes of playing in the soup, he comes running over to us with a big grin in his face! "I found it!", he said as my dad and I just laughed and shook our heads.

                          The 130 gr bullet had shed one petel and weighed 122 grains after traveling nearly the entire length of the inner cavity. It came to rest in the very rear portion of the stomach. I really like the new bonded bullets because that are cheaper than the Barnes and I feel that they are just as effective. But after trying all summer to come up with a good load, I was resigned to the fact that the Barnes TSX bullets are the only bullet that my gun will shoot accurately and consistently. These bullets do not have the explosive, jelly making effect of a traditional bullet, but so far, I can't fault their effectiveness.


                            Sled....those are 2 great stories! Thanks for taking the time. I always say, once you got a good set up working, stick with it. Barnes will be expensive, but the horns dont lie.

                            Damn Deadeye....could ya pick a colder day to hunt??? Dont think I got anything to keep me toasty enough at that temp. Temps in the 20's last year near froze me out. I better bring a blanky.....


                              Sled... Thanks for sharing... That's exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread. I've never been elk hunting before but I don't know if I can say that anymore. I felt like I was right there with you.

                              All you guys say a prayer to the hunting gods for my son Trey this coming Thursday afternoon. The deer season ends then and we are gonna go for one last hurrah after he gets out of class. We're gonna zip out to the lease and see if he can level off an one before the bell rings at dark thirty.

                              He's 14 years old and has had a great season seeing deer but has yet to put one on the ground. To make matters worse he has had to pull the 4 I have taken into the back of the pick up for me. It was especially fun watching him pull the 140 pounder in a couple of days ago when he only tips the scale at 100# himself.

                              It's been interesting hunting this year because it is the first time we have used our cellphones to text each other from our stands. It's like being on two hunts at once. On one of his hunts he had to watch as the #1 shooter buck on our lease, a 13 pointer, came onto his food plot about 200 yards away and over a knoll. All he could see was the top of his back every now and then and his head going up and down as he grazed. He had to watch him do this for about 10 minutes without ever getting a clear shot at any vitals. I suppose he could have tried a head shot but didn't want to on a buck like that and truthfully a 200 yard head shot is pretty challenging for a 14 year old. To say he was frustrated is an understatement. I'm actually pretty proud of him for not trying to force a bad shot.

                              On another hunt he had another of the "shooter" bucks enter his stand area and present him with an 80 yard broad side shot. He texted me and told me the deer was there and he was going to shoot. After a minute the shot rang out. I don't know who was more excited at that moment. As I waited for the news to appear on my cell the moments passed. One minute.... Two minutes...... going on three.... I couldn't stand it. I texted him asking if he got him. The answer was, "I missed but he's still on the field. Stand by!" UGHHH!!! My heart sank. I obediently stood by. One minute.... Two minutes.... Going on three...... BAND! BANG! Two shots rang out. (Keep in mind he is shooting a Rossi single shot .243. It sounded more like a semi auto!) Well proud papa that I am.. I already had picked out where we would hang the shoulder mount over the fireplace and which way to turn the head. Then the text appeared on my phone... "I QUIT HUNTING DAD!" My heart sank. I texted him back, "Did you miss?" His response was, "Well he isn't dead and he walked of the field and is gone." I could have cried. He did. We looked but he was confident he had not hit the deer. He never reacted to the shots more than lifting his head. Subsequently I found out Trey had dropped his gun on the hunt before that one so when we checked he was shooting 12 inches high at 50 yards. He had shot over his back three times. I threw the scope away and gave him my Remington 788 .243 bolt action to shoot for the rest of the season. We spent a good while on the shooting range getting his confidence back and since then he has not had anything to shoot at in front of him.

                              So like I said when I started this.... Ya'll send up a prayer or two for him to get a chance this coming Thursday. If you are like me you know what it is like to have to live with "the one that got away" for an entire off-season.
                              L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!



                                Good luck to your son! Please let us know how it goes and what the results are. My thoughts are prayers will be with the two of you.