Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting Pictures - Show your "Stuff" - Hunting stuff that is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grange View Post
    Hey Dead Eye my dad was born and raised in Staunton, VA. That is some beautiful country up there. I've always wondered what it was like to hunt there. Lots more open space than here in Georgia.

Let's keep telling lies and talking hunting guys. Thanks for responding.
    Staunton is 35 miles west of me, just the other side of the Blue Ridge Mountains(hills to you boys out west). There's some awesome hunting in that area with lots of public land available too. We have a Wheelin' Sportsmen archery hunt just outside the city limits and it's always successful and a lot of fun. We have a hunt planned next weekend 6-7 miles east of Staunton in Fishersville. I have 10-12 wheelchair hunters per day coming in for that.

I've hunted FL to the south and SC on the GA line(near Estill) but never across the line into GA. I love the long season you guys have.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I love the Staunton area. My father's relatives still live in the area. I go there every two years to a family reunion in the summer. I look forward to the rolling hills and Blue Ridge mountains coming across Fancy Gap. Good stuff.... It has been a long time since I have been up there during the winter. When is the hunintg season in VA. My dad was an outdoorsman but mostly fishing and hunting groundhogs. He didn't big game hunt or bird hunt as far as I know. He died when I was 18 back in 1974. He taught me to fish and shoot a .22 at targets but I really started hunting after his death.

Yeah it is nice having a long season. If you really take advantage of it the difference between Sept. when it starts and Jan. when it closes is dramatic. Bow season is done in short sleeve t-shirts trying to keep the no-seeums and skeeters away from your skin without stinkin the place up. All the leaves on the trees make for some close in hunting. In my part of the state the rut usually gets really good about the 2nd week in Nov. when the mornings and afternoons are nice and cool. Dec. can be cold one day then hot the next but all the leaves are off the trees and the big boys are getting very wary. Then Jan. is usually cold as a well diggers a_s but still lots of fun.

I have given some thought in trying to put together some Accessible hunts. I need to talk to the land owner where I hunt and see what he thinks. Have you organized wheelchair hunts (Deadeye).
      L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grange View Post
        I have given some thought in trying to put together some Accessible hunts. I need to talk to the land owner where I hunt and see what he thinks. Have you organized wheelchair hunts (Deadeye).
        Ummm just a few. I've been coordinating deer/turkey hunts for about 10 years with both Buckmasters and NWTF. I run the Wheelin' Sportsmen program here in Va and we had 17 deer hunts this fall all over the state. Last weekend was my first weekend home since Oct. 10.

Our archery season runs from 1st Sat in Oct to 1st Sat in Nov, then ML for 2 weeks, then general firearms until 1st Sat in Jan. I have a 2-day hunt next weekend, Jan 2-3 near Staunton. They just instituted a late-season doe-only season for the northern counties in the state due to the high deer population, so I'll wrap up this season with a doe-only at the 4200 acre Marriott Ranch in No. Va.

I remember hunting SC in Sept. skeeters as big as yellow jackets! I rolled up on a rattlesnake sunning on a logging road the 3rd day of my hunt. I got back to camp, told them about my encounter and they replied "Oh, the place is full of rattlers!" Why the hell they didn't tell me that BEFORE I'd spent 3 days rolling around in brush up to my knees I'll never know!!
        "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Deadeye
          Was wondering what type of blinds you hunt out of? I have helped organize and hunted in a special handicap deer hunt here in North Dakota for the last six years. We started out using hay bales and have worked our way up the ladder so to speak to using some homemade wooden framed and plastic tarp types the last two years. November weather in North Dakota can be brutal. This year was a prime example with 10 inches of snow and a high temperature of 10⁰ f. We had four hunters this year including me and I was the only one who was able to stay out the entire day; as the others just could not cope with the cold. I have set my goal on getting some Texas style types for the next year so we can use heaters and try and let all the hunters spend as much time in the blind as possible. I have located one for a fair price (http://www.shadowhunterllc.com/content/view/5/5/ ) Now I just have to find the money to pay for them. Grange I have posted these pictures of some of my hunts before but what the heck.

Comment

Hey Nevada,

I found a site that makes great hunting blinds from scratch and will build them to what would work best for you. They have a 6 x 8 hunting trailer with a ramp that goes underneath or folds up the back, they also have 6 x 6 wich you can pull called a ATV blind. I have looked long time and these look like the best blind that I have found so far, they are expensive but you get what you pay for. They are 100% guaranteed for 10 years. I have a brother who lives in Dallas and he went down to wear they make them, a little town right below Ft. Worth he said they were really built well and didn't see where I could go wrong with them. I am saving up for the 6 x 8 trailer and hopefully will be putting my order in soon. WWW.RANCHKINGBLINDS.COM , Phone 1-800-763-7320

Comment

Nevada, we've tried several different blinds over the years and settled on the Ameristep Penthouse. They also have given me a great discount in the past since they support NWTF and Wheelin' Sportsmen. They allow enough room for a wheelchair hunter, an assistant and a videographer. http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/penthouse.html

Of course we don't have the cold to deal with that you do, but it was 6 degrees at one of our last hunts. If you keep only a small amount of the windows that you need open, dress properly and use on of the propane heaters we have, you'll be fine.

The blinds you two mention are great blinds IF they are permanently located. We have a hunt in one part of the state one weekend, load the blinds in the back of my van or into our trailer, and take them to the next hunt site which may be 1-200 miles away. No way could you have that type of flexibility with those blinds.

A couple years ago, I made a 6x6 blind mounted on a 6x10 trailer. Even though that blind is portable I find that I rarely move it off the farm. I found that for me in my powerchair, a 5x5 wasn't big enough. Lots of blinds discussed in this thread.

/forum/showthread.php?t=79148

Comment

Hey Deadeye. When they list wheelchair accessible on the Ameristep Penthouse, WHat do they mean. How do you get in and out of it? All the blinds I have the door is not big enough for my scooter to fit through so I have to lift them up and drive under. Unfrotunately this means I have to undo the tiedowns each time. In high winds it's a problem. With a big enough zipper door I could leave it tied down.

Comment

The door opening is plenty big to roll my powerchair thru without a problem(and we've also had several scooters use them too). I just roll up, unzip it, roll inside and then zip it back. The zippers are sometimes hard to reach so I put strong zip-ties on the zippers to make a bigger loop. If I can't reach the zip with my hand, I'll pull out my knife with the gut hook(It's purposely dull), and hook the zipper that way. Normal hands shouldn't have a problem.

We will also put a sheet or half sheet of plywood down for the wheelchair to sit on. This just makes turning and maneuvering around a lot easier. Often times the ground will be rock-solid frozen when we go in only to have it thaw and get mushy/muddy. Having the plywood in there solves that problem.

Comment

The Penthouse is the same blind im looking at getting...id planned on getting a few of them so i would have one in different areas but these look pretty easy to move around.

Comment

Shaun, they're good quality, affordable blinds and work great with chairs. Nothing worse than being in a blind and not being to turn without jacking your chair back and forth. Like I said before, be sure to throw down a 1/2 sheet of plywood under your chair. They even come with shoot-thru mesh window screens that you can use for archery. With the screens zipped up tight it has zero effect on the arrow flight.(Don't use expandables tho!)

If you leave them out very long, the sun can bleach them, and trhe weather will take a toll on them over time. I'm not sure how they will hold up to all the snow you guys get.

Comment

What kind of propane heater do you use,just out of curiosity?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                          What kind of propane heater do you use,just out of curiosity?
                          I personally have this one...

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=41&id=24

and we also bought 10 to use on our hunts. Very few problems. Also if you have a permanent blind you can just use a propane tank(with an adapter line).

They're on sale at most places now, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. I've seen them as cheap as $65US.

Comment

My 14 year old son missed one of the shooter bucks we have on our lease yesterday. Nice 8 point with a wide and tall rack. We have plenty of trail cam pictures so he recognized him. Shot at him three times. Missed all three. He is usually a pretty good shot so we went to the range today. His gun was shooting 12 inches high at 100 yards. It was about that time that he shared with me that he had dropped his gun on the last hunt. The shot he missed was 130+. He was very upset. Lessons learned the hard way sometime have the most lasting effect. We are going in the morning and I could not convince him to swap stands with me. I wonder why?????

Oh well it gave me an opportunity to put my new scope on my 30.06 and sight it in. I got one of the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 40mm. It's not the best or most expensive scope out there by far but it is pretty good for the money.

Wish us luck. We won't be needing any heaters in the morning. Right now it is 59 degrees F at 12:45 EST. Only suppose to get into the hiugh 40's tonight. Where is all the cold weather?

Comment

here is my hunting rig.... Went threw 4" of snow last night... Also put a winch on it so my 6 yr old can hook me up to a tree when I get stuck... works great..........

Torque is unreal... pulled out an ATV yesterday....

I cant belive every para does not have a great power chair around... I got this one for free from a dead guy and put snow blower tires I had laying around.........

Comment

Hey OU812... Tell us some more about the rig you showed in the pictures. I have an old power chair I bought from a guy for $50 bucks. runs great. I have often wondered if it would do better than the Bruno scooter I have in the woods with some modification. Did you build the frame? etc.

Also the thiings my Bruno lacks is torque and suspension. It has plenty of speed. In fact too much. Once I get of the smooth world of concrete anything faster than half speeds bounces so much it is uncomfortable.

Does anybody know of a way or source to get the electric motor in my Bruno rewound to make it more powerful? Or maybe I need to look into modifying the gearbox. Anybody got any suggestions. I just want a little more POWER!!!! ARGH, ARGH, ARGH!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X