Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio controlled airplanes/helis/boats/cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
    I used one to get footage of my kids athletic events, help my Uncle get decent footage of real estate he was marketing, and to spy on my neighbors sunbathing. J/k on that last one. Promise. Then, I landed (aka crashed) it in a lake by the local ball field. Still at the bottom, for any takers! Yeah, I'm the guy capable of crashing that quad. I'd kill someone with a heli, despite how freaking cool I think they are!
    Whoops . Details...how'd you pull that off? I thought that thing was uncrashable unless you actually forced it into a tree or something. Or started it up on your kitchen table, then took it outside, flew, and hit the return to home button (assuming a gps link in your house)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
      Whoops . Details...how'd you pull that off? I thought that thing was uncrashable unless you actually forced it into a tree or something. Or started it up on your kitchen table, then took it outside, flew, and hit the return to home button (assuming a gps link in your house)

It was pretty much a panic situation based on my inexperience. Yes, it involved a tree. And a low strung outfield spotlight power line and pole. I didn't see the line until my wife pointed it out. Was about to run right into it. I jerked it hard away and scraped some branches, jerked it hard the other way (toward the pond) and it started rocking really ferociously, and losing altitude, fast. The whole thing played out in my mind in a flash and ended with that look you get from your wife when something she thought was stupid in the first place, and cost $1,000, ends up at the bottom of a water tower reservoir. I choked, freaked out, started twirling the sticks like a moron, and it just kept rocking a falling. Was only 20-30 feet up.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Yeah, those no see em's tend to get ya.

But you know what they say...don't be a quitter and get right back on that horse! You'll be on the lookout for powerlines now, what else could go wrong ?

Comment

Didn't know you were into helicopters Andy. Are they easy to transport? Have plenty of fields around here just 2 minutes away to fly in, heck even one right across from my house. If it's doable come on down before the snow flies, we can hangout and cookout also. You can gaze at your old SS as well. Lol...

Field across street from me. (Pic)

Yeah, those no see em's tend to get ya.

But you know what they say...don't be a quitter and get right back on that horse! You'll be on the lookout for powerlines now, what else could go wrong ?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nick View Post
            Didn't know you were into helicopters Andy. Are they easy to transport? Have plenty of fields around here just 2 minutes away to fly in, heck even one right across from my house. If it's doable come on down before the snow flies, we can hangout and cookout also. You can gaze at your old SS as well. Lol...

Field across street from me. (Pic)
            Transport? In your car, yeah. In my car...it's time to start taking parts off. Good choice I made, eh? Dooohhh! The smaller ones fit anything however.

I see you have the bane of all RC by your house also...power and telephone lines. Although that field looks good if a bit small. I'm sure it'll cause some nice traffic gapers blocks flying one off to the side of the road, lol. Your back yard might be pretty good too, nice lines of sight IIRC.

Yeah, I'll try to get down there sometime. Working a swing shift schedule for the next couple weeks so kind of clueless when a good day would be to head on down right now.

Comment

Transport? In your car, yeah. In my car...it's time to start taking parts off. Good choice I made, eh? Dooohhh! The smaller ones fit anything however.

I see you have the bane of all RC by your house also...power and telephone lines. Although that field looks good if a bit small. I'm sure it'll cause some nice traffic gapers blocks flying one off to the side of the road, lol. Your back yard might be pretty good too, nice lines of sight IIRC.

Yeah, I'll try to get down there sometime. Working a swing shift schedule for the next couple weeks so kind of clueless when a good day would be to head on down right now.
              Yes you IIRC is correct, but lots of trees. Not much room to even go straight up. You have my number still, right? Give me a call when you can make it down, we'll arrange a day.
              Fields down the road are 100's of acres in size.

Comment

Don't know if this is possible, but wouldn't hurt to ask...I have a DJI Phantom 2...I'm C4/5...I operate one of the quadcopter's control sticks using a mouth stick. I am able to control it pretty well using the stick, however I am having trouble operating the other stick with my hand, as the control is very sensitive. I was wondering if there is any way to rig it so the one controller joystick can be operated through my chair's joystick. Is it possible?

Comment

Originally posted by landrover View Post
                  Don't know if this is possible, but wouldn't hurt to ask...I have a DJI Phantom 2...I'm C4/5...I operate one of the quadcopter's control sticks using a mouth stick. I am able to control it pretty well using the stick, however I am having trouble operating the other stick with my hand, as the control is very sensitive. I was wondering if there is any way to rig it so the one controller joystick can be operated through my chair's joystick. Is it possible?
                  There is probably an easier way to do it. Can you explain a little bit more how much our movement you have? Are you able to move both your hands over to joysticks? If you are it's probably easier to get a radio tray that holds the helicopter radio and a decent position and then just buy extended sticks that allow you to manipulate them freely with both hands. Possibly the tops of each could angle out towards the outside of the radio on both sides which would allow you to have more space on a bigger object to manipulate them

Comment

I don't have enough use of my left arm to be able to operate a stick, and even the right is iffy. I'm able to operate a chair controller just fine, but the r/c controller is far more sensitive.

Comment

I don't have enough use of my left arm to be able to operate a stick, and even the right is iffy. I'm able to operate a chair controller just fine, but the r/c controller is far more sensitive.
                      Without knowing what kind of support you have in terms of friends or family that are helping you with this, and without knowing if there's a radio controlled club in town, I'm going to assume you have some type of knowledgeable help or set up I could do some basic assistance for you.

My recommendation to you is to sell the DJI phantom. The problem with that radio is I don't believe it has any exponential settings and it. Exponential allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the sticks when you input on them. So for people like you and me we don't have fine motor control, you could change the exponential so that when you first push on the stick it doesn't give the full of fact that it's double down so that maybe you have to push the stick 50% of the way to actually only get 25% of the effect. And then as you get to that last bit of movement pass that the reaction begins to accelerate. The good thing about this is for people like you and me we don't have fine motor dexterity it takes away the immediate sensitivity so that it doesn't react quickly and at first little bit which means were not prone to making an accidental over movement.

If you sold that helicopter and bought blade Helis QX3 you would have basically the same helicopter. They have a version that is Bindon fly that allows you to buy into another radio as well as one that has the full camera set up on it like the DJI phantom if the camera aspect is really appealing to you. (sell the dx4 in that package and up grade to a dx8 or dx9) Then what I would do is buy a good spektrum radio like the DX8 or the DX9. These radios have a lot of switches which would allow you to fully utilize all of the helicopter functions and camera functions, as well they have the exponential and all kinds of other settings that would allow you to modify the radio behavior more to your liking. Off of eBay you can also buy stick extenders to make one or both sticks much longer. Then you could control one stick easily with your mouth stick and the other would be taller that you could cup and less sensitive based on the radio settings which would probably allow you to fly easier.

Admittedly it is potentially a bit more of an expensive set up, of course that depends on how much you sell the Phantom for, but for people like you and me the set up and equipment really determines how well we can enjoy the hobby. It's well worth the investment if you like doing it because you have the stuff long-term. And the great thing about blade helicopters is there's great part support. As well the spektrum radios

I am C5/6. I own a DX8 with extended sticks and the ability to adjust the sensitivities and have different settings that even I can flip on and off with different rates at make helicopters and planes say 50% 75% and 100% reactive on top of the exponential makes it much easier for me to fly. I have three planes, probably about eight helicopters and a couple of the helicopters are true big helicopters and even though I can't fly them great the radio really enables me to fly way better than had I had a stock radio without adjustability

If there's a radio control club in your area talk to some of the people about this or a hobby shop with a knowledgeable guy who could talk to you about this. I think you be much better going this route. And the great thing about one of those radios is they have a model memory of 30 or more vehicles so you could get other little quad copters and helicopters that you'd probably be able to fly later and maybe even some planes

Comment

I don't have any answers to the DJI controller issue, but just wanted to check in here with my fellow RC fans. The DX8 is a good radio, really like mine also. Getting a radio with expo to compensate to your needs does sound like the ticket for sure.

DJI has some pretty cool stuff, I have a NAZA-H which currently resides on a Goblin 500 for my 'drone' heli. Amazing how the technology progressed from the days of a flybar heli to something that basically flys itself, and can locate itself with GPS. I'm still not used to not flying the heli. And having the thing not becoming a lawn dart when visual orientation becomes something completely bizarre is something else. Keeps things interesting, eh?

Comment

Maybe you can get some ideas from these:

http://www.instructables.com/id/RC-Q...7/RC-Controls/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOCPYPVNlxk

https://books.google.com/books?id=NV...kopter&f=false
                          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

So would a controller such as http://www.amazon.com/Futaba-2-4GHZ-...ords=futaba+8j that can be used with the Phantom 2 be something worth considering where the exponential settings can be changed?

Comment

So would a controller such as http://www.amazon.com/Futaba-2-4GHZ-...ords=futaba+8j that can be used with the Phantom 2 be something worth considering where the exponential settings can be changed?
                              Unknown, unless you know what protocol DJI is using. Check out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php , they have a large forum in there for the DJI drones and such, maybe someone already converted to other tx's

Comment

You need a radio and receiver to make the connection. You can bind multiple receivers to one radio in order to control multiple vehicles. I suggested switching to blade cause they use Spektrum receivers so u only need to a spektrum radio to 'bind' to it. U could buy that futaba but u would still need a receiver with enough channels to run all the functions (alerion rudder camera stuff etc) probably an eight channel receiver. If you are set on sticking with the DJI I would suggest you go on the website Helifreak.com. There are lots of people on there and a whole section dedicated to DJI. I'm sure someone has probably transitioned from the proprietary radio and receiver that came with your cat to the spektrum or futaba. What you need to know is what radio what receiver and what plugs plug into what channel. Because you'd want to make sure that the receiver fits within the body of the helicopter. Find the section relating to your helicopter and ask the appropriate questions that I suggested above. It want to make sure to get some detailed information from someone who's done it to know that it works. In a worst-case scenario if your helicopter is in very good condition you can probably resell it for close to the value he bought it. The blade helicopters are significantly cheaper than DJI as well so I don't think you have any trouble buying a brand-new one with whatever you sold the other one for.

Comment

Working...
                                X