quadriplegic musicians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quadriplegic musicians?

I Was wondering if anyone has had any success or relative ease picking up an instrument post injury. I still have my old guitar and a djembe -- neither which has been that helpful for filling that side of me that wants to create. Quad hands aren't good for the guitar and I can't cup or flatten my hands enough to make the djembe alive.

So I'm thinking of trading them in for a very, basic drum set up -- I mean very basic. Has anyone had experience putting together an adaptive set? I 've also messed around w/ beat boxes, but to be completely honest I really need to hit something -- something real -- something that will make some noise. Any thoughts?

I know a couple of musicians who took up the harmonica (mouth harp) who have very limited hand function. One plays in a jazz band, the other in a rock band (and he also sings).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hey man I played guitar and sang for 15 years prior to getting hurt. Yes its impossible to play now, i go insane without that, so I dabbled on the harmonica like the nurse said which will come hand in hand when I can jam again. Was thinking of trying sum music software programs i tha meantime.
      I am not your rolling wheels
      I am the highway
      I am not your carpet ride
      I am the sky
      I am not your blowing wind
      I am the lightning
      I am not your autumn moon
      I am the night, the night..

Comment

hey stormy-- I tinkered with a harp a little bit as well, but after a while I found myself out of breath -- just not my thing.
        I'm off to do some searching and I will write a few lines in a bit -- thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Here's a guitar for a quad. No idea how you play it.
          http://www.driskillguitars.com/kurt%20diablo.htm

Comment

Originally posted by JAYCUE
            thats fascinating ,I would love to see it played too.

Comment

Have you tried getting a co-writer and just writing music?

I know it is not the same but its a way to have music a part of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by JAYCUE
                Thats pretty sweet!

Comment

In Vancouver we have the Vancouver Adaptive Music Society as part of the Sam Sullivan Disability Foundation. Here is a photo of Sam & my buddy Dave, both quadriplegic's jamming:

The society's mission is to make music available to people with disabilities. Wish I had photos of the new studio.

Comment

thx 4 sharing! looks like fun.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch
                      thats fascinating ,I would love to see it played too.
                      probably use a pick like normal and slide that metal thing up and down to change the tone.

i thought about getting my old drum set and getting a drum machine on the computer to play the bass drum.
                      I CAN MAKE YOU BLUEPRINTS OF ANYTHING YOU WANT.

PM ME

www.4th-gen-civic.com- EF Civic + CRX Resource + Forum

Comment

I am a para guitar player in bands that gig once in a while, we have been pretty busy lately with 5 gigs in less than two months which is quite a bit for us. As soon as I hit the dirt right after my motorcycle accident many things went through my mind. One was thanking God that I still had my hands and that I would still be able to play guitar. It has been the best therapy possible and cannot imagine my wheelchair bound life without music. I have posted several times about quads and guitars/basses, and one quad even posted some very competent recordings of his slide guitar playing. Vic Chesnut is a professional bass/guitar player. It depends greatly on your level, but it can be done.
                        T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

i'm interested in this thread about quad musicians and how they've adapted instruments
                          and/or techniques in order to start or continue playing after sci limited their hand function.
                          reading the recent thread here about paras playing the acoustic guitar spurred me to look today for
                          video clips of other musicians with limited hand function.
                          i'd like to encourage those quads who'd like to play music but have ruled it out
                          because of injury to think about it again, because in my experience it can be a very rewarding pursuit
                          and can even perhaps increase hand function, due to the attempted repetition of
                          finger movements.

even though the two men in the clips below don't have quad hands,
                          they do have disabled hands and each found ways to accommodate their particular limits.
                          here is the amazing gypsy jazz guitarist, django reinhardt, his left hand was severely burned
                          and he developed a method of playing using his thumb and two fingers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzz6fAdFFis

john denner was born without a right hand and developed a way to play in spite of that,
                          as the clip at bottom of his webpage shows:
                          http://www.johndennerrocks.com/index.html

i'm not a guitarist myself, but i found this chording device online, am curious to know if it would
                          be helpful for guitarists with left-hand limitations:
                          http://www.gearwire.com/artioli-voice.html

i'd like to revive the discussion of quad musicmaking if anyone else is interested.

Comment

SpinaChord was a band started up by past mayor Sam Sullivan of Vancouver B.B. You may want to look up the adaptive usic society that's at teh G.F. Stronge Rehab center in Vancouver, B.C. Pretty good place for adaptive musical abilities.

Comment

I can play the hell out of a harmonica, and by that, I mean I make a lot of God-awful noise with it but it has a pretty good beat. I love to sing as well, but I can't seem to keep an audience. I guess my voice is just too beautiful for mere mortals to appreciate. At least that's how I see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X