No announcement yet.

12 hour flight: what if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from my first 12 hour plan ride and get first class if you can its well worth the money for the comfort and to be able to lay down and raise your legs. That takes care of dvt and pressure sores to a degree. sit on your butt pad and get a foley with a 600ml leg bag at least. take all your meds, cath bags, and toilet items with you incase they lose your luggage your not out all your supplies. you might even take a few extra 32 oz empty gatoraide bottles to empty into. and as for the bowels i just made sure i went the night before and did no special diet i just stayed away from coffee wich i dont drink any way but can get things going. you can also take your pain meds that helps to constipate you and lessens the chance of an accident. But number one is trust me take first class im a t8 and had a very hard time even sitting up straight in business first and i have wide shoulders so leaning to one side the whole time killed my back. and in first if your big or the person next to you is big it doesnt matter you have all the room you need.Also if you do your bp two days in a row your body gets thrown off a little and it might tend to think your gonna do it again sooner than you plan.
    Last edited by soonerborn; 27 Jun 2008, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I'm a C-5, and just took a trip to Korea from San Francisco. 12 hours going, nine hours back (going there had a big headwind).

Bowel routine that morning, coincidentally -- it was my normal day. Travel catheters before getting on the plane and twice on the plane (using blankets for cover).

I had normal meals. I did have less fluid than normal, though. And the stewardesses helped with both of those.

Sorry, "flight attendants."

Try to preselect your seat: http://seatguru.com is great for that. You pick your airline, then the flight number, and a picture of the seating in the plane is shown. Then you talk to your airline to get the seats you want. Remember that you want in the aisle seat, and that the airline & Airport both know that you're in a wheelchair...

Business class or first class is best. Like soonerborn said, you can lie down some and raise your legs some.
      4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Comment

use an attends padded with 2 heavy period pads. insert a foley and use leg bag. flight attendent even emptied mine into coke cans once.

if really worried about bowels, use some pepto.

don't worry. they are more used to this than 20 yrs ago when i started flying! good luck! and look for the senior steward...the young ones can get rattled. inform the senior steward as soon as you're onbrd of the situation. this can be done very discreetly and saves probs later on, esp. if long flight, like mine to aussieland.

Comment

Working...
        X