Chronic pain can damage brain tissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided to give the Spinal Cord Stimulator a try, and this is one of the main reasons why.
    Going back to school has made this very evident, and its not just about getting older (like everyone I mention something about it says).

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id...tionid=3510210
    ================================================== ===

Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:08:59

Scientists claim chronic pain stimulates constant activity in brain areas that should be at rest, resulting in permanent brain damage.

According to the study published in the Journal of Neuroscience, chronic pain not only causes the sensation of persistent pain, but also triggers other pain-related symptoms such as depression.

Findings showed that the front cortex region, mostly associated with emotions, is constantly active in those suffering from chronic pain which may disrupt the normal equilibrium and cause an abnormal cerebral information process.

American scientists suggest that enduring pain for a long time affects brain functions in response to even minimally attention-demanding tasks.

The study showed 50 percent more brain cells are used while performing simple tasks in chronic pain sufferers compared to their normal peers.

Scientists believe these findings can explain the higher rates of depression, anxiety, insomnia and attention disorders in chronic pain sufferers.

More good news Janney. Good luck with the sci stimulator.

Comment

i wish you the best with your sc stimulator. i have several friends who have those and have had good success. i am not a candidate or i would being going for it too!

thank you for this article. it is every enlightening and answered some questions i have been asking for some time now.

i hope you have great results with your sc stimulator! cant wait to hear how it works for you!

Comment

"Scientists believe these findings can explain the higher rates of depression, anxiety, insomnia and attention disorders in chronic pain sufferers". i think i beleive them lol
        oh well

Comment

When my pain levels get high enough I have the attention span of a gnat, so I believe this too

Comment

Absolutely makes sense. The severity of my neuropain makes reading very, very difficult. I was a computer programmer pre-SCI and simply don't have the clarity of thought required for the occupation anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen
              When my pain levels get high enough I have the attention span of a gnat, so I believe this too

Same here! Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Comment

Small video clip on research using MRI to detect functioning differences between chronic pain and no pain subjects' brains...

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PainMana...gement/tb/8225

Comment

I thought it was just me the couple of years its like i work so hard to block out the pain thats its like I dont know if im coming or going.I can barely tell you what i did yesterday.I cant remember anything without writing it down. My concentration is bad and if i do try to do something like that I usally just get mad and throw in down so basicaly I dont get anything done. I have noticed in the past that I dont pay full attention driving so I have stopped driving for the present. I get to hurting and dont concentrate like I should. Thats where doctors should be more careful pushing patients to shun those problems and press on as mine has. He could be the one hit when a patient has a severe spell in the car and runs a stop sign and hits him. It took me a long time to realize this had become a problem.I am more focused when on pain meds but they are hard to come buy so most of the time i have to suffer through and thats when my mind seems to be at its worst and I have to watch my temper so much more while in pain.

Comment

Hey

I have realized how frustrating it is to study with these issues. Since going on LTD I have started spanish at the local college. I find it truly difficult to memorize words. I will even forget words that I should know by now. Maybe there could be a CRS thread.
                    Feelin good is good enough!

Comment

thanks for sharing this. I am impressed by the widening gulf between myself and people not with chronic pain. They can not understand what wide effects it has on all aspects of life. I think this site has people who are in the same boat and understand. I think my memory is affected, days run into each other and I can not remember events and when they occurred as well as say my wife.
                      For me , I have had unrelenting neuropathic and somatic pain from a spinal (L1) and pelvic fractures for 6 years.... It is quite tiring !

Thanks again for the article and keep them coming....

Jon

Comment

cl

Once again you have the best quotes. Thank you so much for posting

Comment

i could not imagine living without mine, It hasn't lowered my 24/7 meds but i have reduced my bt meds to almost zero,
                          actually have fifteen to twenty days in a row with zero bt meds.
                          this is the second one i have the first one did almost nothing, never got enough coverage to really help, than it started created problems.
                          this one a precision plus from abs , though not as good as i wanted has made a huge difference.
                          u am able to focus somewhat again, you s=don't realize the side effects of meds until you stop them and realize that you no longer have x,y,z problems any more
                          cauda equina

Comment

I missed this post...very interesting and a great confirmation of issues that causes me much concern. I went from a very aticulate, detail oriented, well focused individual to what seems like a jello brained, ding a ling. I have been accused of the age thing too and wondered how my pain issues impacted the memory problem. We have only scratched the surface of fully understanding how the brain works, haven't we.

Comment

yes it is very tiring , i never realized how tiring it was until i had the pain levels lowered. i knew i was always tired i thought it was the meds.
                              i guess the brain constant processing of the pain signals just exhaust the body and the mind
                              cauda equina

Comment

Working...
                              X