Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"protrusion" in L4-L5,Herniation of L5-S1...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"protrusion" in L4-L5,Herniation of L5-S1...

My back pain has lasted more than six months and is not relieved by any medical or by any surgery. I have gone to literally over 17 doctors-neurosurgeons, general practioners, and none of them has acknowledged my symptoms, but will only look at my MRIs and say, "everything's fine".

I have stopped going because I am so sick of paying them for not doing anything for me.

My problem is related to my lower back and on one MRI a radiologist actually called it what it was- a slight, "protrusion" in L4-L5Herniation of L5-S1, central disk. But the neurologist failed to do his job and find out why when I sit, my perineum burns and I have a burning sensation that goes through my urethra. Also, while sitting, the back legs start to burn very badly and in some perianal region also.

Now, why can't a neurologist tell me what is being affected, given that it seems the nerves of my perineum and my bladder nerves are being condensed/irritated? I am on Lyrica and Cymbalta, but other than weird dreams, the Cymbalta hasn't done much, and the Lyrica might be helping with the burning that I was having in my toes.

I have basically given up hope on doctors and have all my hope in God. Anyway, just wanted to write to see if someone has any experience with the symptoms, or have seen anyone with what I am describing. I have to lie down to get relief, but I have lied down with my neck on a pillow for so long that I strained my neck and my fingers and left arm started to tingle.

Any suggestions

Originally posted by deskjet
    My back pain has lasted more than six months and is not relieved by any medical or by any surgery. I have gone to literally over 17 doctors-neurosurgeons, general practioners, and none of them has acknowledged my symptoms, but will only look at my MRIs and say, "everything's fine".

I have stopped going because I am so sick of paying them for not doing anything for me.

My problem is related to my lower back and on one MRI a radiologist actually called it what it was- a slight, "protrusion" in L4-L5Herniation of L5-S1, central disk. But the neurologist failed to do his job and find out why when I sit, my perineum burns and I have a burning sensation that goes through my urethra. Also, while sitting, the back legs start to burn very badly and in some perianal region also.

Now, why can't a neurologist tell me what is being affected, given that it seems the nerves of my perineum and my bladder nerves are being condensed/irritated? I am on Lyrica and Cymbalta, but other than weird dreams, the Cymbalta hasn't done much, and the Lyrica might be helping with the burning that I was having in my toes.

I have basically given up hope on doctors and have all my hope in God. Anyway, just wanted to write to see if someone has any experience with the symptoms, or have seen anyone with what I am describing. I have to lie down to get relief, but I have lied down with my neck on a pillow for so long that I strained my neck and my fingers and left arm started to tingle.

Any suggestions
    Does the burning pain go away when you lie down or stand up? If so, it suggests that something is compressing on your spinal cord or spinal roots when you are sitting. Most MRI's are done with people in the lying position. If there is no pain when you are lying down, you are unlikely to see the compression.

Wise.

Comment

ouch ...thank you dr. wise.
      i must tell to mri doc who told me ...your pain do not show on my computer screen.

Comment

have you tried seeing a Physiatrist They might be more understanding than a GP or neurologist.
        If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

sigpic
        www.jccarolinaformals.com
        www.myspace.com/jccarolina
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Comment

the subject was regarding MRI [RADIOLOGY DEPARTMENT].

Comment

I was just suggesting maybe a Physiatrist would read his MRI and do more than say "your fine"
            If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

sigpic
            www.jccarolinaformals.com
            www.myspace.com/jccarolina
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Comment

Originally posted by adi chicago
              ouch ...thank you dr. wise.
              i must tell to mri doc who told me ...your pain do not show on my computer screen.
              dr's i've saw around here are kinda like yers, adi.

your pain or symptoms don't show up so theres nuthin i can do.

Comment

rollin what dr.wise said regarding mri makes sense to me...i wonder if an MRI can be done in a vertical position .to see what really cause the problem regarding pain.

Comment

rollin what dr.wise said regarding mri makes sense to me...i wonder if an MRI can be done in a vertical position .to see what really cause the problem regarding pain.
                  hopefully...

Comment

Doesn't sound like this guy has a SCI, so he should be able to have a vertical (standing MRI). They are available, but not at all MRI facilities. You have to shop around, and you have to find a physician willing to write the medical justification to get it funded by your insurance.

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Adi, yes, there are MRI's that can do a person in a vertical position. However, I am not sure about people in a seated position. http://www.washingtonopenmri.com/stand_up.htm

Wise.

Comment

thank you very much dr.wise.i think i must travel again soon to USA to see what really cause my excrutiating neuro pain.here in romania the medical system and the latest technology is down.

Comment

Try a new chiropractic machine called a DRX-9000 for disc problems

I haven't tried this, but I recommended it to my Dad who has disk problems. I have many people at my chiropractor's office be helped by it. It was designed by a Dr and uses negative traction to pull disks back into place over time, thus eliminating (I think) the pressure on the nerves casing pain. Try it! I will not damage your back, and probably will help it.
                          Better than suregery and doctors who can't give you any solution.
                          Melanie

Comment

Deskjet,

The advice from other posters is great. And, yep, I have a broad based disc bulge at L4/L5 and issues with the S1 too (stenosis, facets, etc.). For what it is worth I could NEVER figure out why the "sit pain" was so bad other than the nerves or herniation(s) that everyone is speaking of. Anyway, it took about a year to get it figured out. So, I ended up seeing a Urogyn who more or less said it was from nerve damage; lumbar/sacral area. What he wanted me to do first was to get the nerves calmed down. So, I had injections and then an RF by my spinal PM. From there I went into pelvic floor physical therapy. I don't mean to sound gross or anything but the whole pelvic floor was in BAD spasms. To make a long story short between the injections, RF and PT I have to say they all worked a miracle especially the PT. It was amazing after 3 sessions that I could sit straight down without any pain. Now, I didn't have burning while sitting or around any outer areas...just couldn't sit without being in agony. Anyway, I know they can do blocks too; I just never had those done as the PT took care of alot of that pain. So, just a thought because both the PM and the Urogyn told me it was all interrelated. Oh, but I did have the bladder and urethra burning. Of course Premarin cream helps with that. But still...this PT made all the difference in the world; Levator Ani muscles seemed to be the worst. The injections and RF it seems took care of the pain in my legs.

Sorry I just jumped in here too. I was just thinking of the "sit pain" and not necessarily radiculopathy.

Comment

Working...
                            X