No announcement yet.

Stopping Lyrica cold turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on 150mg twice a day. I didn't stop cold turkey I just missed a dose and wow everything tightened up and I had shooting nerve pain down my legs,

Comment

Lyrica Question

Hi all. I did a search on stopping taking Lyrica and found y'all.

Okay, I have bipolar, fibromyalgia and chronic pain, throw in some arthritis and other medical problems and you got me.

I have been taking Lyrica for about 3 or 4 months. I started at 50 mg and was up to 225mg recently. I have been having marital problems so my dr gave me xanax 1mg XR. OMG, what a difference in my pain level! Since I started the xanax my pain has gone from a 10 to about a 3. Even before I started the Xanax I was falling asleep in the chair on a nightly basis, I have to take muscle relaxers Xanaflex and Skelactin, but only at night, bc I hate being sleepy. I take Lortab for my pain 3 x's a day.

Anyway, I noticed each time my Lyrica has been upped my bipolar has been going whacko, lots of acting out and depression. It had gone on for the first week of adding more Lyrica but since my last increase from 150 to 225 it has been horrible. Now I have been having the problem of when I wake up to bring my dog out, I was losing my balance. It has gotten worse since upping my dose to 225mg a day. I had taken Neurontin years ago and quit because of the dizziness.

I have talked to a friend who is a nurse and she had a friend who had 2 back surgeries, she was given Percocet for the pain and also put on Lyrica. It turns out that this woman was put into a stress ward bc she was acting so erratically, her mother tried to say that she was a drug addict, but all of her scripts were accountable, she wasn't even taking the Percocet. My friend said this girl was acting totally out of it and after I reported the symptoms I was having, the dizziness and I have also had swelling in my ankles, and some weight gain, though the holidays may be responsible.

Anyway, my marital problems had escalated and I was very depressed, crying and manic...I gave my husband the ultimatum, either we start counseling or I was going to leave. Keep in mind that I cannot work due to the chronic pain, I have nowhere to go with my 12 y/o son, but I was willing to leave him, no matter what. So yeah alot of this was the bipolar talking, but now I see that the Lyrica had a hand in my erratic behavior.

Back to the Lyrica, I want off, it's making my bipolar condition crazy, not to mention that it is not helping with my pain. I am doing so much better on the Xanax and using Lidoderm patches. Of course it's the weekend and I can't get ahold of my PM dr. Do I need to wean myself off? Or can I go cold turkey? I can't drive if I take them in fear of being dizzy and getting in a car wreck.

So wean off and how much? Or can I go cold turkey? I know y'all aren't physicians here, but would like to see if your experience can help me make it through till Monday when I can call the dr.

thanks so much,

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by metronycguy
        my main complaint about lyrica and neurontin was the way it affected my bowels and bladder.
        Mike, I've been following you about this stuff, could you please elaborate about what it does to your bowels and bladder? Thanks much.
        get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Hello everyone, good morning.

Here is my situation. I am bipolar and suffer from Fibro, Chronic Pain and arthritis. I have been taking Lyrica for 3-4 months. I started at 50mg and am doing an increase up to 225mg this month. I have noticed that after the first increase to 100mg that it has affected my bipolar condition. Last month I did better, though I noticed that the first week or so my bipolar condition was magnified. I was having awful mood swings. The last increase was from 150mg to 225mg. I noticed that at 150 I would wake up to bring my dog outside and have an awful balance problem, I was scared I was going to fall bc of the lack of balance. This last increase up to 225mg has made it worse. My moods have been horrendous, I may as well have not taken my Cymbalta and Seroquel. I was terribly depressed, having awful manic swings and acting out. I took Neurontin years ago and quit it bc of the dizziness I was having.

I am having marital problems and was just put on 1 mg Xanax XR. What a change in my pain level! I went from a 10 to a 2 - 4. The only problem is that I have just wanted to sleep and my balance problems are tenfold.

I want off the Lyrica, it messes with my bipolar meds and I am so tired of having a bad sense of balance. My question, and I know you are not physicians, but I can't call till Monday to discuss this with my physician....is can I just cold turkey off the Lyrica? Or do I need to slowly wean off of them. I didn't take one last night (75mg) and this morning I was not having problems standing up. I really don't want to take any more of them bc of the bipolar problems. I had taken Neurontin years ago and had to stop them bc of the dizziness problems. The Lyrica worked on my pain as of last month, but now it isn't helping. Once I started the Xanax my pain level has gone down so much.

any suggestions? I really do NOT want to take the Lyrica anymore.

Oh shiznit, didn't realize the first post posted. Oh well.

Comment

LABipolarFibroChronicpain imo your question should be answered by your doctor, there is no way a doctor is unreachable or has no one covering for them over the weekend ,
            you need to call your docotr and tell the service it is an emergency and discuss this with your docotor, you are havign problems that have nothing to do with sci and neuropathic pain , most of us would not want to even give an opinion in your case snce it involves bipolar and other stuff .
            cauda equina

Comment

quadvet , i am actually not even sure how much lyrica affect my b and b now.
              the problem is i am on so many meds , many have similar side effects , so i think it is one but it turns out it is the other.
              neurontin definitely affected my urine retention and bowels. my urologist was surprised that i was making good progress with my bladder rehab, and then i reached a constant level of retention, over 200ml, i was usually only cathing twice a day then, morning and night.
              i stopped the neurontin and i was retaining less than 100, so didnt have to cath anymore. When i was in the office telling my urologsit of my success he said had a patient that week that was older than me, had never had retention problems , she went on neurotin for nerve pain problem, no spinal injuty ,and started having retention, when she stopped , the retention went away, so that 2 in one week for him.
              when on the neurontin i had to try and empty my bowels every hour, i dont use a chair and walk pretty good, so my only problem was finding a clean bathroom. my bowels issue is quite different than everyone here, it in fact may be somewhat normal, now except for the med involvement intensifying a weak neurological system.
              when i started the lyrica my bowel became hard to mange again, seems every 2 hours i had to find a crapper. i use one or two enemeez in the morning. still three of four times a day i needed a crapper, i was not evacuating, It seems there was a constant flow of poop, some would come out , quite a bit actually and than within 2 hours the rectum was full again. in actuality i think what i have is enhanced with constipation from narcotics. i think the lyrica and neurontin may draw water into the stool similar to magnesium, the reason i say this , is i can have a normal bm with out dig stim and when lyrica or neurontin never ending pooh pipe effect is there, i have to wipe my butt forever, it never stops coming out. when constipated on narcotics , this is not a normal effect.
              trying to find a gastro doctor that understand this so far has been impossible.
              they trued a colonoscope on me , but i was too full after the saline laxative and ducolax i never emptied. so i was definitely chronically constipated.
              tried all th miralax and amitiza stuff, had some good movement but found out they were causing this nauseous feeling on me , plus extreme gas. ruined quite a few days this summer being nauseous and going home, thinking i was possibly impacted but reality i figured out it it was the meds they were prescribing. i just figured out the amitiza and miralax were making me sick after my last surgery around Thanksgiving. feeling pretty damn good since i stopped them.
              so back to lyrica it seems to increase the transit time of the stool , make it move faster, maybe increase the stomach emptying reflex that triggers the movement of the intestines. it does something, that equate with me having to go more than 2 times a day, even with enemeez in am, and 2 kris-senna tabs at night. i also take 2 fibercon at night with the senna and i fibercon in am with breakfast, i find that kind of glues things together,
              i wish i could explain it better, but i may try and stop the lyrica in a couple weeks, usually once i stop a med, i realize it true side effects.
              cauda equina

Comment

That's about what I figured, I do need to contact my dr.

I am glad that I found this site though, thanks for your honest opinion.

Comment

Yes, you need to contact your doctor before doing anything. Sounds like you have more going on than the Lyrica. I was able to do it without any problems (BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE DOING THIS ON THEIR OWN, CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR).

I would contact his emergency number and go from there. Good luck.

Comment

Dang, Mike, I feel for ya, sounds like a nightmare. Never had those problems, myself. Hope you get something figured out soon. Well I know you been working on it, so all the best and thanks.

Originally posted by metronycguy
                    quadvet , i am actually not even sure how much lyrica affect my b and b now.
                    the problem is i am on so many meds , many have similar side effects , so i think it is one but it turns out it is the other.
                    neurontin definitely affected my urine retention and bowels. my urologist was surprised that i was making good progress with my bladder rehab, and then i reached a constant level of retention, over 200ml, i was usually only cathing twice a day then, morning and night.
                    i stopped the neurontin and i was retaining less than 100, so didnt have to cath anymore. When i was in the office telling my urologsit of my success he said had a patient that week that was older than me, had never had retention problems , she went on neurotin for nerve pain problem, no spinal injuty ,and started having retention, when she stopped , the retention went away, so that 2 in one week for him.
                    when on the neurontin i had to try and empty my bowels every hour, i dont use a chair and walk pretty good, so my only problem was finding a clean bathroom. my bowels issue is quite different than everyone here, it in fact may be somewhat normal, now except for the med involvement intensifying a weak neurological system.
                    when i started the lyrica my bowel became hard to mange again, seems every 2 hours i had to find a crapper. i use one or two enemeez in the morning. still three of four times a day i needed a crapper, i was not evacuating, It seems there was a constant flow of poop, some would come out , quite a bit actually and than within 2 hours the rectum was full again. in actuality i think what i have is enhanced with constipation from narcotics. i think the lyrica and neurontin may draw water into the stool similar to magnesium, the reason i say this , is i can have a normal bm with out dig stim and when lyrica or neurontin never ending pooh pipe effect is there, i have to wipe my butt forever, it never stops coming out. when constipated on narcotics , this is not a normal effect.
                    trying to find a gastro doctor that understand this so far has been impossible.
                    they trued a colonoscope on me , but i was too full after the saline laxative and ducolax i never emptied. so i was definitely chronically constipated.
                    tried all th miralax and amitiza stuff, had some good movement but found out they were causing this nauseous feeling on me , plus extreme gas. ruined quite a few days this summer being nauseous and going home, thinking i was possibly impacted but reality i figured out it it was the meds they were prescribing. i just figured out the amitiza and miralax were making me sick after my last surgery around Thanksgiving. feeling pretty damn good since i stopped them.
                    so back to lyrica it seems to increase the transit time of the stool , make it move faster, maybe increase the stomach emptying reflex that triggers the movement of the intestines. it does something, that equate with me having to go more than 2 times a day, even with enemeez in am, and 2 kris-senna tabs at night. i also take 2 fibercon at night with the senna and i fibercon in am with breakfast, i find that kind of glues things together,
                    i wish i could explain it better, but i may try and stop the lyrica in a couple weeks, usually once i stop a med, i realize it true side effects.
                    get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Working...
                    X