No announcement yet.

TOPAMAX for neuropathic pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sdm - just curious if you were on lyrica for longer than 3 weeks to see if the 'cotton head' went away. How long did you take lyrica before stopping?

Comment

topomax made my whole face tingle,no pain relief at 100 mg twice a day,it dose seem to work for some.IM looking into a pump next.neuro pain is so depressing !
      "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

Comment

My new Nuro doc gave me Topamax. I havent got it filled yet but thought i would check it out on here first. lol I cant take Neurotin or Lyrica so i hope this wont be a problem either. I am scared anymore taking new meds because of the side effects.
        “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Comment

SuzieQ, while Topamax has worked well for some, I consider it the most toxic medication I've ever taken. In the three weeks I managed to stay on it, I had every side effect possible. I lost 15 pounds plus my short-term memory and attention span -- I couldn't stay focused enough to read a description in the TV Guide, or remember it when I did. It exacerbated my depression -- I couldn't stop crying and didn't leave my bedroom). I was so tired all the time but couldn't sleep. And to add insult to injury, it did nothing for my pain. I ended up stopping it cold turkey and getting myself to the ED at Georgetown University Hospital to ask for help with the depression. (The people in the ER made things worse, not better, but that's a different story.)

Many of these side effects are rare, but nevertheless you should watch for them.

I hope I didn't scare you too much -- when Topamax works, it works really, really well, and you should give it a fair try. May I recommend that you keep a pain journal when you start taking it? Write down your dose and all of the other meds you're taking, describe your pain that day (better than usual, new pain started, etc.), what you eat, how you've slept, and any other changes from your norms. The journal will make it so much easier to identify patterns that help objective observers (like your pain doc) evaluate how well it's working for you.

Again, sweet Suzie, I'm sorry to be so negative as your first responder. I really am the exception -- every time I discuss this, I am outnumbered by a lot of people who had success.

Best wishes -- I truly want this drug to work and make your life better!
          It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

I thank you for your response. I used to never have side effects from meds but over the last 3 or so years its been hell. It seems if it has a side effect I get it.

i never asked for a medication at the docs and when he perscribed this i was like uggggg. not a nother pill./ side effect ordeal! I am bad about getting meds and then not taking them if i deem them not to work or the side effects are not worth it. I just am not going to be throwing up all day and crapping my pants at the same time for a tad of pain relief....I suppose i am preaching to the choir here. lol
            “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Comment

Hi, I am about to go on Topomax for peripheral neuropathy. I was wondering how you are doing. Are you out of pain, still taking Topamax, and how much weight did you lose?

Comment

How are you?

Originally posted by sissy View Post
                Has anyone tried Topamax for neuropathic pain? I have full body neuro pain that is unreal. I have tried many meds with no relief at all!
                I know you posted some time ago, but I was wondering how you are? Did you take the Topamax, and did it help with your pain? I have peripheral neuropathy (both feet), and a Rx for Topamax but can't decide whether to take it or not. Can you help me decide, with feedback?

Comment

Like any other drug, Topamax has helped some and for others, they have'nt been able to use it.

I tried it a couple of years ago and I think it was helping, but the cost stopped me from going on with it.

You should be able to find information in old threads on Topamax. Broknwing uses it and it works well for her.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymtn memories View Post
                    Like any other drug, Topamax has helped some and for others, they have'nt been able to use it.

I tried it a couple of years ago and I think it was helping, but the cost stopped me from going on with it.

You should be able to find information in old threads on Topamax. Broknwing uses it and it works well for her.
                    SmokyMtn,
                    Did you know there is a generic available now that is pretty cheap...Especially if you have a COSTCO, without insurance & with their discount card, it's only like $12 or $14 for 120 tabs of 50mg...like I said, extremely inexpensive! If you've got insurance of course it's even cheaper...

I SWEAR BY Topamax, now my mom & sister both take it & they've both noticed in addition to relief from their different types of neuro pain, it helps their foggy brains & my sister it also balances her moods out some.
                    'Chelle
                    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

It figures, now that I'm going to the pain clinic. I put that off as long as I could. They have me on mst morphine and the hydrocodone, the gabapentin. I'm not out of pain, but they have it under control, at least at the moment. I still get some pretty bad days, but it's a lot better than it was.

I'm glad the topamax is still working for you, and it never hurts to know that I can now get it in generic if I have to switch meds. Since I know this, it would the first I'd ask to try. Thanks M. Hope you're doing better kid!

Comment

Working...
                      X