No announcement yet.

Neurontin does not work!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is hard to defeat neuropain...when the pain is very bad i just meditate and try to get a good rest.some meds work ,some not.

Comment

Andy,
      I agree on sleep, food and poop, but I think your dosage of 800 you used is very low, not too sure it will help for anything. You might try to get up to at least above 1200 I would think to get some effects of it. There is also Lyrica, have not tried that since Neurontin works pretty good for me. Although Lyrica can also give some seizure or tiredness I have read. As for me, I don’t have the seizure nor tiredness problems with Gabapentin. As for opiates I don’t know, have not tried it, and doubt I will, well def not at this time and pain level. But if to bad, I actually find that alcohol helps, then all the pain I have disappears, but then again, can’t be drinking all day. Maybe others can have some suggestions to you that can help.

Comment

just curious spider,but have you ever tried the TENS unit at all for your worst areas of pain?it seems like every single anti S med i have tried ever since the lyrica really hit me bad with side effects,is doing almost the same nasty side effect crap,so i have been relying alot more on the more topical types of pain relief methods.among other things,the tens has really helped alot for my knee RSD flares,actually much better than any oral meds i have tried.if i can meet that intensity just right with the tens Vs my pain,i do get better relief.just a thought.lido patches and prudoxin cream seem to be the most beneficial for my central pain tho.just some suggestions.doing these types of things,well at least my eyes don't go all funky on me and i can walk without looking like a freakin drunk and bouncing off of walls.good luck.marcia

Comment

Spidergirl-
          you've said the Neurontin isn't working...you've been told by many of us that there are other meds out there that might work for you(and have worked for us)...have you talked to your dr about changing your meds yet? If one med isn't working, it's pointless to stay on it and be in agony when you know that there are alternative meds that may be of more relief to you. Try Topamax or Lyrica or adding a tricyclic antidepressant...or any combination of these things...don't just keep taking the Neurontin that you KNOW isn't working and complaining about it not working....be proactive about your pain management, if your dr isn't being co-operative or listening, then you need to find a dr who will be...
          'Chelle
          L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

If your taking Neurontin,dont take the generic brand for it had no affect on me like the name brand.The pharmacy tells me the two are no different but my leggs go nuts on the generic brand..800mg 3 times a day.
            "The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

Comment

Stiggy,there is a thread on here about the bioavailability in the generic anti S meds,i cannot remeber the name of the thread tho,sorry.I think if you did an actual care cure search using the word bioavailability,you could find it.i posted some info that was really quite a shock to me when i had heard it on a medscape forum chat with the nice folks from the epilepsy foundation about just how much active med is really in some of the new generic anti S meds.in this chat they mentioned that it can be anywhere from around 85-120% and still be called the generic equivalent of.

i was aware when my son almost lost his newly transplanted liver back in 2000 that all generics are not created equal.he was not given the same exact brand(a generic) of prednisone after dischrage and there was enough difference in the overall amount of actual pred in the other generic that it was no longer keeping his body from actually recognizing his liver anymore and he actually went tinto almost full rejection,just because the generic 'equivalent' of the different pred was no where near what he had been stabilized on in the hospital post transplant.this was MY introduction into the land of the supposed generic 'equivalents'.i almost lost my son over it.

when his transplant surgeon told me about the generic differences i was furious,since for years all we had been told was they are exactly the same,just don't have that name brand label ya know.but now,alot of epilepsy patients who were once stabilized,and some for many years with no siezures,when they were being switched to the new 'generic equivalents" were having break thru siezures on neurontin and other anti S generics.this wouldn't be a huge deal except it could be possibly life threatening to the patient who is,oh,lets say driving? and had a siezure or doing some other hazardous task,not to mention the second an epilepsy patient has an actual siezure again,their license is automatically taken for a year or til they have a full year with no siezures.that is really a life altering event for them in possibly many ways.

so now the epilepsy foundation and their researchers are really diving into this issue for them,and also reccomending epilepsy patients stay on the name brand anti S meds.it really is a pretty sick thing to do to people.but this IS the way the majority of generics are,and you really do not know just how much real active ingerdiaent there truely is in any generic you take.why the FDA condones this practice is beyond me really since it would be impossible to honestly say any med is the generic eqivalent when it actually only has to contain 85% of the active substance and can be labeled as equivavlent?thats really just sick to do to any pateints,espescially with people like epileptics and transplant patients who absolutely HAVE TO have the exact same dosage every single time in order to prevent some very serious complications from happening.in some of these patients,even as little as a few mgs per dose can cause horrendous life threatening complications.its just sick.but that IS the world of the generic equivalents.

i personally had a huge problem with Endos version of the generic OC,the oxy ER? it was no where near as effective as the name brand for me,and it also made my stomach feel like crap.it just cannot be the exact same amount of oxy in it,no way.since this was not the ned i had been stabilized on at the begining,this was a huge problem for me.someone who is stabilized on it,it would probably go much better.i was also taking my 60-60-60 dose during the day all in 20mg tabs so even the loss of a tiny amount of oxy,even ten percent,for me would have been a total loss of about 30mgs of active OC per dose.it adds up the more pills you take per dose.thats a big loss.once i spoke with my PM about it she has no problem now in just writting DAW(dispense as written) on each oxy rx.as long as i am on the name brand,it works much much better than the ER crap i was on there for about one month of hell.

the thing is,if you were taking any name brand med or even on the very same generic med for a long period of time,and then switched to some other generic and the effectiveness appears to not be what it had been,it could just be the amount of the active ingredient in the 'equivalent" generic you have been switched to.just something to think about as a possible cause for any changes in your normal condition if you have recently started a new generic med.okay,i will stop now.Marcia

Comment

i wonder if my medicare drug program will give me the real neurontin instead of the generic. everything that has a generic equivalent is what i get.

anybody know anything on this?

Comment

hey rollin,possibly,and this IS a big possibly.if you go to medscape,and look up bioavaiability/neurontin,it may bring you to that chat and article i mentioned,perhaps if you had back up that you could somehow "prove' by backing up with just the plain facts,it may help your case?just a thought.but the more info you have backing this up,the better,ya klnow?there HAS to be other articles out there on this,there has to.the epilepsy foundation is very much aware of this problem,perhaps if you dove into that and recieved the info from that source,it would help alot.

they actually did do recomendations that epilepsy patients,just because of this loss of active ingredient or even too much,that all patients are Rxed the name brand neurontin.i would think there would be alot of info somewhere on it,of course,you just have to play detective to find it out.hope this helps,good luck with this,marcia

Comment

If you are on it and want to get off it, you might try removing one dosage or halving your dosages. Bit by bit, you can get off it. I did.
                    And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Originally posted by firesmurf
                      hey rollin,possibly,and this IS a big possibly.if you go to medscape,and look up bioavaiability/neurontin,it may bring you to that chat and article i mentioned,perhaps if you had back up that you could somehow "prove' by backing up with just the plain facts,it may help your case?just a thought.but the more info you have backing this up,the better,ya klnow?there HAS to be other articles out there on this,there has to.the epilepsy foundation is very much aware of this problem,perhaps if you dove into that and recieved the info from that source,it would help alot.

they actually did do recomendations that epilepsy patients,just because of this loss of active ingredient or even too much,that all patients are Rxed the name brand neurontin.i would think there would be alot of info somewhere on it,of course,you just have to play detective to find it out.hope this helps,good luck with this,marcia
                      thanks marcia, i'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by spidergirl
                        I am taking Neurontin and 3,500 mg a day, sometimes more.
                        If this drug isn't actually helping with your pain, why have you been taking it for so long? It seems like a waste of money.

C.

Comment

I take 2000mgs (5 x 400mgs) a day of the generic Neurontin (gabapentin) and it works 100% for me. Usually. I don't watch the clock and take it when needed. I probably need to up my dosage to 3000mgs a day since I've been coming up short at the end of each month.

I only pay $62 a month for it at CVS (other pharmacies that I've called charge $180-$195 for it??) and when Medicare Part D kicks in (after the $250 annual deductible has been met) I only pay around $20.

As has been mentioned, it works for some and doesn't for others. I wouldn't be screaming about it though. Try something else.

Bob.
                          "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Neurontin is a JOKE

This stupd drug is way over prescribed and rarely wirks. I have listened and personally can attest to 300 plus a day and nothing. Its crap! Period. Its just making somebody rich when prescribed for high level SCI pain. . Maybe for low level Neuro pain... but not for people like me, in the "High Pain" Club. Crap , Crap Crap!!!
                            Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Comment

Originally posted by mike bauer
                              This stupd drug is way over prescribed and rarely wirks. I have listened and personally can attest to 300 plus a day and nothing. Its crap! Period. Its just making somebody rich when prescribed for high level SCI pain. . Maybe for low level Neuro pain... but not for people like me, in the "High Pain" Club. Crap , Crap Crap!!!
                              Originally posted by bob clark
                              As has been mentioned, it works for some and doesn't for others.
                              I hope you find something that works for you Mike. I know you've been in horrendous pain for a long while. As Dejerne has as well.

I have a quite severe stabbing pain in my right side and the stuff has taken away the pain. Hey, I was surprised that it worked. I figured I had kidney stones or lung cancer but the tests proved otherwise.

I have an appointment tomorrow to get my script renewed for another 6 months and she better not make me come back next month just because I request a slight dosage increase. Like I'm gonna OD on the damn stuff. If she insists that I come back next month so she can squeeze my calf and glance at my back (???) again I'll just stay at my current dosage. She can be a money grubbin' bitch!

I need to get a reasonable "friendly" General Practitioner.

Bob.
                              "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                                If this drug isn't actually helping with your pain, why have you been taking it for so long? It seems like a waste of money.

C.
                                C your right. I am now trying Lyrica. I just started 2 days ago so we will see because clearly Neurontin is well I don't kno what the heck it does?

My doctor had to slowly take me off of it. He didn't want me to just switch immediately.
                                Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Comment

Working...
                                X