No announcement yet.

Neurontin does not work!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My neuropathic pain is getting worse. It is moving from my right foot now to underneath my thighs. What else can I try? Neurontin is NOT WORKING for me whatsoever.

Why is our insurance companies paying $600 a bottle when it clearly is not working?
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Comment

Hey, SGirl. There are other meds you can try if you've maxed the Neurontin levels and aren't getting relief. Ask your doc about others you can try. Unfortunately it will be trial and error. What helps me may not help you and vice versa as evidenced by Neurontin.

Also, I've learned what works for me now may not work six months or a year from now.

Some people get relief from so-called alternative methods. Some use accupuncture, massage, etc. For me, the non-mainstream approach I use with medication is meditation. Again, like meds, it works for some, not for others.

I have yet to find anything which eliminates pain, but what I'm doing at least alleviates the pain to a degree.

Hope you find what works for you soon.

Comment

Neurontin does not work alone - but NORTRIPTYLINE helps!

I had my injury in July '05 and have have been fighting neuropathic pain for the last 18 months. A friend of mine, that I meant at rehab in Chicago, said they put him on Nortriptyline along with the Neurontin. First my pain mgt doc thought it didn't make sense, so I suffered another month or so, then insisted on trying the Nortriptyline. IT WORKED! I have been 75% pain free ever since. I take 3000MG of Neurontin along with 75MG of Nortriptyline daily. The combination seems to be working! Also, Nortriptline is an old anti-depressent, so that's a double-bonus...

Good luck!

Comment

Thank-you La Mem and Duck.

I think I will try Lyrica maybe that might help. If not than something else. I actually had somone tell me that neuropathic pain is good for me and that I should just let it ride.

She had TM so I don't know if TM patients have the same kind of pain.
          Last edited by spidergirl; 03-06-2007, 11:43 PM.

Comment

S-girl, just curious. Were you taking name-brand Neurontin or the generic. For some folks there's a huge difference. What dose are you taking? Are you taking anything along with it?

Comment

Originally posted by David Berg
              S-girl, just curious. Were you taking name-brand Neurontin or the generic. For some folks there's a huge difference. What dose are you taking? Are you taking anything along with it?
              I am taking Neurontin and 3,500 mg a day, sometimes more. I had the pain only in my right foot for a year and now it's gradually moving to underneath my thighs.

Comment

Spider. As for 3.500 mg/day, how will that fit unless you’re taking 35 100 mg tablets/capsules a day?

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
                  Spider. As for 3.500 mg/day, how will that fit unless you’re taking 35 100 mg tablets/capsules a day?
                  Last edited by spidergirl; 03-08-2007, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spidergirl
                    Leif I take 5 600 mg tablets a day. 5x600=3500 last i checked
                    check again =3000
                    cauda equina

Comment

Leif I take 5 600 mg tablets a day. 5x600=3500 last i checked
                      Your math is worse than your grammar. It's 3,000!!!

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
                        Your math is worse than your grammar. It's 3,000!!!

YOU GUYS ARE SOO right!! MY bad- LOL- I am doing a million things at once and my music is SOOOO LOUD!!!! and I am checking this, doing that, wheelin around here and there!!! I was about to change it when you guys did that!!! MY APOLOGIES MY BAD!!! I know that was totally clueless of me. My mind is obviously somewhere else.

Comment

Spider, no big deal, just thought they came in mg like this; http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/gabapent.htm

Still, admit it, you got busted by metron and jeff… and yourself With a little help

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
                            Spider, no big deal, just thought they came in mg like this; http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/gabapent.htm
                            My tablets are 600mg. 600mg is ONE tablet. I take about 5 to 6 tablets a day.

My bottle says take 1 tablet 4x daily. I have been taking more.

Nevertheless, this S**! doesn't work one ioda.

Comment

My tablets are 600mg. 600mg is ONE tablet. I take about 5 to 6 tablets a day.

My bottle says take 1 tablet 4x daily. I have been taking more.

Nevertheless, this S**! doesn't work one ioda.
                              Same here, 600 mg, eat in total 1800mg/day, helps a great deal for me, has done so since 2000 with same mg. Have tried to quit from time to time but then pain comes and are more present after a while. Don’t know if I read it, but have you tried Lyrica if Neurontin does not help too much, those two meds are based upon different technology and can work different person to person. I have not tried, cause Gabapentin works for me. Hope you find a solution if you are in too much pain.

Comment

I'm gonna chime in here ....

and edit the heck out of my post, lol.

Summary...lower dosages dont do much for me either, sent a feeler out to see if there were some pharmacist types around here.
                                Last edited by Andy; 03-16-2007, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X