No announcement yet.

Help! Medical Marijuana Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no scientist but it's my impression that THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) is the active ingredient that is responsable for most of its beneficial medical properties, and for it's pseudo-psychedelic properties as well, I believe. I'm not sure about transforming it into a transdermal herb tincture, but if you google it you might be able to dig up some info, I'm sure somebodies done it. The only way to know which strain you are getting is to either grow it yourself, or know the person who grows it, and that's IF they are informed and intelligent cannabis connesuers. I'm jealous Surfcat, I wish I could order brownies for delivery, that's a sweet deal. I think your prayers have been answered, what's your opinion?
    Last edited by Myc0; 16 Jan 2006, 2:10 PM.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

MycO,

If I do give an intelligent answer, it is by accident. I am always impressed by the intelligence displayed here since my pain makes me feel out of it and I am impressed by those who can write clearly. We are all so culturally conditioned, I am not sure I can give a well thought out answer. I do agree that every plant has a purpose, and that if we knew how to use them, everything would be for our benefit. I really don't know about marijuana because I have never used it. I am not aware that it hurts anything. Historically, it has a bad reputation, but perhaps only because when it is used to excess it causes trouble. You and para both make me think a great deal and I am inclined to think I am just simply uninformed and tend to have an opinion where I am not qualified to have one. I think most of the hysteria about marijuana comes from those whose jobs and livelihood rest on making the nation afraid of it. Jews and Christians are wrestling with the term kaneh bosim and the Muslims are said to be in a similar question over the word Kafur in the Quran. The two terms seem comparable, meaning fragrant plant. This is at least enough to cause the govt. to rethink its policy, it would seem. Not that I am an authority.

If marijuana were legalized, there would be many a job lost in government, so this must be borne in mind. The regulators may not be disinterested. Some of the writers at this site advocate that the Indica variety is to be avoided while Sativa is not really a matter for concern, according to them. This is a matter for the experts to solve, not us, and quite possibly not some bureaucrat. My own experience in government is that they dont' really do anything. I don't trust bureaucrats, and if you believe the books written from ex members of the Pentagon and the CIA, these organizations don't do much at all. You have probably heard all military purchasing in France is done by 32 employees as opposed to our 250,000. Much as I hate to say it, I think the next big money waster is Homeland Security. I have personal experience with FEMA and you wouldn't believe how wasteful they are and wouldn't believe me if I told you. So I think there are a number who have an interest in creating hysteria about a weed that probably won't hurt people unless they are determined to use too much. However, I do not consider myself qualified to express anything more than an opinion. I have really tried to watch for good scientific studie on this, but so far, the scientists don't seem to be reporting anything bad. Maybe the war on drugs is like most wars, a waste of time, money, resources, and people. I had a good friend who dated the daughter of one of the Presidents (won't say which one), and he told me politics was nothing but wonks who are too lazy to work and get nothing done. His own father was very high up in govt. (personal adviser to the Pres) and had admitted that the area inside the beltway is the biggest money pit in the world. So knowing that, I am not prepared to sign on with the "marijuana is a boogeyman" team. I have used the meds commonly given for Central Pain and felt they were junk, so you know I am a hard sell. Maybe that is why I don't trust the people who spend money to feed a phobia about marijuana. All of our ancestors grew it to make rope and tried to keep their cattle from eating it so they didn't get sick. The early Va pioneers, who were pretty hungry and were always looking for roots and stuff to eat, used pigs to figure out what is safe to eat because pigs are most like humans but somehow know what is poison. IF a pig eats it, you can. Pigs won't eat marijuana. That is the most trustworthy scientific study I know of. I am joking, halfway.
      Last edited by dejerine; 16 Jan 2006, 5:44 AM.

Comment

Hola, my neuropathic pain and spasticity have been getting worse recently, which has prompted me to start seriously examining my options(and I really don't want to take any more pharmaceuticals). This has led me to research vaporizers. There are some very advanced vaporizers on the market now, which is great for those who want the benefits of this blessed herb without the negative health effects of smoking. I've read some really great things about the Herbalaire vaporizer. It sounds like it's as effective and a lot cheaper than the Volcano. Right now I am looking at more discreet, cheaper alternatives that would be better for my current situation.

Originally posted by maryonwheels46
        Many people smoke pot. You can't put a filter on a joint because you would lose the THC. But then, Smoking joints for a long time causes a lot of small particles to go down the lungs. I believe using a bong helps. When you take a big hit off of a joint you have three hits of smoke wasted.
        Actually joints are more efficient and "healthy" than bongs.

From the: Marijuana Water Pipe and Vaporizer Study

"Surprisingly, the unfiltered joint outperformed all devices except the vaporizers, with a ratio of about 1 part cannabinoids to 13 parts tar.

Disappointingly, waterpipes performed uniformly worse than the unfiltered joint. The least bad waterpipe, the bong, produced 30% more tar per cannabinoids than the unfiltered joint.

Contrary to popular impression, waterpipes don't necessarily protect smokers from harmful tars in marijuana smoke, according to a new study sponsored by MAPS and California NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws). The reason is that waterpipes filter out more psychoactive THC than they do other tars, thereby requiring users to smoke more to reach their desired effect."
        De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

homemade vaporizers with 5-year warranties are on the web for under $200 and it is the way to go, cures many of ails
          Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Comment

I also came across and interesting recipe for Green Dragon, a concentrated THC tincture that sounds quite nice.
            De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

Something to think about

More power to you guys iI I am a c 5/6 quad I have spent 5 years of my life incarcerated. It's like don't mess with Texas. I met lots of guys in chairs in prison and most were there for drugs.
              Weed don't seem so bad you say. Just keep in mind it is illegal. When one gets in the drug world. It is only a matter of time before someone turns you on to a line of coke or meth. That really makes the pain go away.
              I have lots of back pain these days. I got out of prison in 97. You think you have pain ? Sit in prison awhile. It is hard to even get valium in prison.
              It is not my problem what anyone here does. We all have choices.
              It is something to think about though. If I did smoke weed. I would not be on this forum telling the world about it.

Comment

Originally posted by reedyd
                More power to you guys iI I am a c 5/6 quad I have spent 5 years of my life incarcerated. It's like don't mess with Texas. I met lots of guys in chairs in prison and most were there for drugs.
                Weed don't seem so bad you say. Just keep in mind it is illegal. When one gets in the drug world. It is only a matter of time before someone turns you on to a line of coke or meth. That really makes the pain go away.
                I have lots of back pain these days. I got out of prison in 97. You think you have pain ? Sit in prison awhile. It is hard to even get valium in prison.
                It is not my problem what anyone here does. We all have choices.
                It is something to think about though. If I did smoke weed. I would not be on this forum telling the world about it.
                dammit man....5 yrs in the pen bein quad had to suck big time. sorry to hear ya had to go through that.

my brother came up with this brilliant idea of a way for me to make extra money. sellin weed....hah. said i could stash a couple pounds at my house. "they can't lock you up. you're in a wheelchair"

Comment

Don't believe the hype

Don't ever believe that man and when they want you they will come after you. I once got busted with 4 or 5 pounds. When they came in my legs starting jumping up and down from spasms. From habit I reached to grab my legs. A detective pointed his gun at me and said don't move. I tried to explain that I could not pull the trigger if I had a gun. It was scary.
                  It is a long story and off topic but then again WEED is an option.
                  Can you ? Will you pay the price? There is an MRSA epidemic in our jails and prisons. A lot of people with stinky sores. You have to fight everyday to get decent care.
                  If my story helps one person then my lost years might be worth something.

Caution be the way.

Good luck inn your life

David

Comment

4 or 5 lbs is a big difference than personal use
                    cauda equina

Comment

It's still illegal sir
                      rollin64 stated someone wanted him to keep a couple of pounds at his place so the post was for him really
                      i too used to try and justify drug use no one could tell me nothing
                      personal use is the way it starts
                      buy a bag for awhile for personal use then you find out well damn i can buy a quarter pound and make 4 oz. then sell 3 oz of them and get your 1 oz of smoke for free.
                      i'm telling my story
                      you can take it or leave it
                      if i would have read this when i was younger i would be thinking what kind of BS is this guy trying to lay on me
                      if nothing else i'm saying the criminal justice system is a hassle to deal with especially for someone in a chair

good luck in all you do

Comment

if nothing else i'm saying the criminal justice system is a hassle to deal with especially for someone in a chair
                        Very good point. Even in a legal State, the Man can make proving your right to smoke a pain in the ass IF you don't have all your ducks in a row. They don't care how much pain you are in. Their concern is "maintaining law and order".

OTOH, I made the front page of our fairly small community newspaper about it some years ago, pic and all. The interviewer came to my house and I smoked and talked too much and she wrote too much and well... I still watch my back.

Bummer about doing time David, that must have really sucked! The guys at the VA warned me about that saying we are easy targets read between the lines. Glad it's over for you, hope life is good.
                        get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

buy a bag for awhile for personal use then you find out well damn i can buy a quarter pound and make 4 oz. then sell 3 oz of them and get your 1 oz of smoke for free.
                          I think we found your problem, good sir.

Once you start buying weight, it no longer is personal use, and the criminal justice system begins to take a much greater interest in you.

Perhaps if you had a little discipline instead of spending $250 (approximate schwag prices used here as I don't know what you're buying) on a buy, you wouldn't end up dealing with unsavory characters (drug dealers, and the like), with whom associating likely got you arrested. I mean, they caught you with 5 pounds. FIVE POUNDS.

Perhaps if you just continued buying a quarter ounce at a time, you would never have been on anyone's radar. The way you describe it, you were buying a personal supply, then eventually realized that you could smoke for free if you were dealing. So you started buying weight. That sounds like greed to me, and that's what got you busted.

Comment

shit..5lbs would last me 5 years..it'd be dust by the time i got to the end of it..5lbs is definitely not in the "personal use" catagory

Comment

I'm just letting the people know that might consider using it that it is illegal and to be very careful.
                              I have been clean for years so I really don't care if you do it or not. Learn the hard way like I did.
                              I had more than for personal use but I started out with personal use. I never even smoked the stuff until I was 22 years old.
                              I have heard of medical weed in Texas but never met anyone with a script.
                              I have used marinol the THC pill from a person with a script. I had to take about 6 to even feel them.
                              Another thing to think about is if you have any type of goverment housing or student loan is that you can lose it because of drug use.
                              I'll guarantee a majority of the people complaining about someone disabled being injured in jail for drug use are the same ones out here trying to justify using it.
                              This forum is about Medical Marijuana Options

I have had a few friends that have used it for years that claim it helps them.
                              One just has to weigh the odds.
                              It is like breaking the speed limit some get stopped some don't.

Good Luck to everyone in your choices.
                              I think in the future if you chose to use it then one will be able to with no hassle.
                              Texas sure isn't there yet.

Dave

Comment

i never tried drugs .....tobbaco only and alcohol .better milk and sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X