X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurses Back Medical Marijuana

By Gina Dennik-Champion
    Source: Journal Sentinel

Wisconsin -- It is difficult for nurses to remain silent when patients are denied access to an effective medical treatment. That is why the Wisconsin Nurses Association supports the medical marijuana bill authored by Rep. Gregg Underheim (R-Oshkosh), known as AB 740.
    In taking this position, we are squarely in the mainstream of the public health community. The American Nurses Association, the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Public Health Association and the American Academy of HIV Medicine are just a few of the health care organizations that have acknowledged that marijuana can be a valuable treatment when used under medical supervision.

A large body of evidence indicates that marijuana can relieve a number of debilitating symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, certain types of pain and the pressure inside the eye that robs glaucoma patients of their sight. Moreover, it can do so with remarkable safety.

Unfortunately, the issue has become shrouded in fear and myth. Exaggerated claims and scientific misunderstandings have tended to overshadow facts and common sense.

For example, we are sometimes warned that marijuana is "addictive." In fact, only a very small percentage of marijuana users ever become dependent - a much smaller percentage than is seen with alcohol or tobacco.

Under proper medical supervision, drugs that are far more addictive and dangerous than marijuana are used beneficially by hundreds of thousands of patients every day. And unlike a great many drugs used for either medical or recreational purposes, marijuana has never caused a fatal overdose.

Contrary to claims sometimes made by opponents, marijuana can provide relief in a number of instances where conventional drugs fail or have unacceptable side effects. A great deal of research has shown that marijuana relieves pain through different mechanisms than conventional pain drugs, including opioids, and can provide relief when these drugs fail.

Particularly encouraging results have come from recent studies involving pain associated with multiple sclerosis well as peripheral neuropathy, an extremely painful condition that afflicts HIV/AIDS patients and others.

read more:
    http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread21370.shtml

you cannot overdose from marijuana,,,I dont understand why people would want to take oxycodone and all that other man made crap that kills hundreds a year, I know people using med pot that have been in a chair 20 years plus and they are in alot better shape then the people taking man made meds,,,But they are making billions of $$$$$ off you, of course they will lie about pot

Comment

Prohibition II

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/ct-prohibition.html
      Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comment

Great news, Parafarmer... I have CP and started smoking pot again this year after a long hiatus. I have been able to totally stop all other anti-spasmodics and pain meds, other than Advil and an occasional Tramadol. And I was getting steroid and phenol shots in several joints, over a period of years.

It really qualifies as a miracle. I can't believe they deny us this. Complete morons.

No, I don't smoke before work or driving, and therefore I think it should be MY business. I've had my job a long time, and don't anticipate any drug tests at this late juncture, but keeping my fingers crossed.

I've missed less work since starting to smoke again than I did before.

FREE THE WEED!
        "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

Comment

Originally posted by MrSoul
          No, I don't smoke before work or driving, and therefore I think it should be MY business.
          I completely agree that this plant has many positive benefits and is safer and healthier than the synthetic drugs that are legal and being pushed by the pharmaceutical companies and bringing in billions while bankrupting people with disabilites and dieases and disorders. I respect that you don't smoke before work and driving Mr.Soul, that is the responsible approach. It just seems ironic to me because I used to be a total stoner, and I worked delivery for Pizza Slut. I would smoke hard before, during, and after work, and driving was my work. I would roast a bowl on the way to and from deliveries. I know this will horrify many of you, but I really feel that being stoned makes you a more cautious driver, because you get kinda hypersensitive and a little paranoid about other drivers and such. The thing that is really ironic is that I had been smoking tons of herb while driving deliveries for about 5 years without incident. After a while I had gotten totally sick of my job and the creeps who ran it so I decided to look for a new one. So, prooving that marijuana is not physically addictive, I quit cold turkey without a problem after 5-6 years of daily use. I missed it, but had a good reason to not smoke, so I didn't. Of course ciggarettes are totally different, as I had wanted to quit those for a LONG time, but was not able to until after spending a few months unconscious in ICU. Anyways, after being totally clean for at least two months, I had my first car accident which of course is what brought me here. So it just seems odd that I finally got off of the "demon weed", and then had a major car accident that paralyzed and almost killed me. Since my accident they've put me on all kinds of sketchy narcotic painkillers, but God I miss the herb, the ganja was so much more kind to body and mind.
          De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

Maybe this may be a little off from what you all are talking about but .. I was given a bottle which contained a mixture of it with alcohol. They gave it to me to be used as a rub for my shoulder pains. I don't know if any of you have heard of it being used this way also. Apparently they mix it but not sure if they cook it. It did help me to some point. Have had to deal with the possibility or need of surgery to my joint and they have given me heat, or steroids for it. The thing is that there is so much risk for the person who makes this mixture that I don't want to make them take any chances by asking for more.

Raven
            Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
            but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Originally posted by Myc0
              Since my accident they've put me on all kinds of sketchy narcotic painkillers, but God I miss the herb, the ganja was so much more kind to body and mind.
              Have you thought about picking it up again?
              "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

Comment

Sure, but after I got out of the hospital my parents kidnapped me, so now I'm living with them in the south. My stated goal is to move back to the west coast, hopefully WA. It will be rough weening myself off the Oxycontin the damn dirty docs got me hooked on, but I'd gladly do it if I could bathe my brain in some herbal goodness. Hell, I've already cut back to less than half of the opiate painkillers I was originally taking, so I don't have far to go. Raven, that's interesting, I thought I had a PHD in THC, but I've never heard of a cannabis/alchohol concoction for rubbing onto the skin, hmmm. Well if worse comes to worse you could probably go to Canada for some herbal therapy. I'm not that sure, but I was thinking it was decriminalized for personal use in Alaska, of course Alaska is kinda harsh and cold so that's probably not a good place to treat joint pains. Argh, I wish the drug laws in this country would be changed to include sanity and compassion. Why do these fundamentalist think God would create a hearty plant with SO MANY helpful uses for humanity, and spread it all over this little planet if he didn't want us to use it. Doesn't it say something in Genesis, right up front in the Bible, about using every seed-bearing plant? Sheesh
                Last edited by Myc0; 11 Dec 2005, 10:11 PM.
                De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

Raven, stuff like that is called a tincture...kind of an old herbal thing, not used much now...

sometimes an herb was mixed with a liquor, too,... thus when you soak vanilla beans in vodka you can make your own vanilla extract, strain beans before using... all you do is place it in some form of alcohol, depending on what you are using it for...drinking or rubbing... and voila... similar concept with basil/garlic/chilis in olive oil...

As for living in the South... (i'm from Kentucky) it's the cash crop!!! I'm sure you're being respectful to your parents... but if you decide to move out, it is REALLY easy to get...hahahaha!! Amazingly enough, I'm violently allergic to weed and have never used it... plus, i have a clearance now, so even IF i wanted to see how 'allergic' i am to it now, i can't...damn... hahaha...
                  "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Comment

pass the spray!

I believe this is the tincture/spray that is being discussed.

Who wants to move to Canada?

Sativex - Novel cannabis derived treatment for MS pain now available in Canada by prescription

TORONTO, June 20 /CNW/ - Sativex(R) (Cannabis sativa L. extract), the
                    only adjunctive treatment for symptomatic relief of neuropathic pain in adults
                    with multiple sclerosis (MS), is now available in Canada. The novel treatment
                    can now be obtained by prescription through Canadian pharmacies. In April
                    2005, Canada became the first country in the world to approve Sativex, an
                    effective and safe cannabis derived prescription medicine.

Health Canada has approved Sativex with conditions, under the Notice of
                    Compliance with Conditions (NOC/c) policy. This authorization reflects the
                    promising nature of the clinical evidence which will be confirmed with further
                    studies. Products approved under Health Canada's NOC/c policy, have
                    demonstrated promising benefit, are of high quality and possess an acceptable
                    safety profile based on a benefit/risk assessment for the approved use.

"Effective pain control and management are extremely important in a
                    disease like MS," said Dr. Allan Gordon, Neurologist and Director of the
                    Wasser Pain Management Centre, and of the Edward Bronfman Family Foundation MS Research Clinic at Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario. "The availability of Sativex addresses the great demand for an effective treatment option in the field of neuropathic pain in MS. Many patients, including some in my own practice, report using cannabis for relief of their pain. People with MS and neuropathic pain should speak to their doctor to determine whether Sativex is an appropriate option for them."

How it works

Sativex is administered through a spray pump under the tongue or on the
                    inside of the cheek, providing reliable, self-administered pain relief. The
                    spray formulation allows for more flexible dosing than an oral tablet, well
                    suited to the variable nature of neuropathic pain experienced by people with
                    MS.

"Sativex will be welcomed by the Canadian MS community," said Dr. William
                    J. McIlroy, National Medical Advisor, Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada.
                    "Neuropathic pain associated with MS is often under treated and under
                    controlled. The availability of Sativex will now allow people living with MS
                    and neuropathic pain a new treatment option to address one of the more
                    debilitating symptoms associated with the disease."

Principal components

Sativex is a product resulting from the pioneering research efforts of
                    UK-based GW Pharmaceuticals plc and is marketed in Canada by Bayer HealthCare, Pharmaceuticals Division.

Its principal active cannabinoid components are delta-9-
                    tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD).(1) The ratio of THC to CBD
                    in Sativex is 2.7 mg : 2.5 mg per spray, ensuring a standardized dose is
                    delivered each time it is used.

Neuropathic pain

Pain is a common symptom of MS occurring in up to 86 per cent of people
                    with MS.(2) Neuropathic or nerve pain can occur spontaneously or can be
                    provoked by touch, temperature or movement. It is estimated that 50 per cent of people with MS suffer from chronic neuropathic pain.(3,4,5) The most common descriptions of neuropathic pain are of freezing, cold or burning sensations usually of the limbs and most often of the lower extremities.(6) Many individuals with neuropathic pain respond inadequately to current treatment options.(7,8)

Data demonstrates efficacy(1)

While there is no complete cure for MS or neuropathic pain, a double-
                    blind placebo controlled parallel group study demonstrated that Sativex
                    provided significantly greater pain relief than placebo. Sativex also
                    significantly reduced pain-related sleep disturbance.

Sativex and side-effects(1)
                    In clinical trials, the most frequent side-effects included nausea,
                    fatigue, dizziness and application site reactions. Side-effects were usually
                    mild or moderate in severity and often resolved with down-titration or
                    interruption of treatment.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) in Canada(9)

MS is a disease of the central nervous system and is the most common
                    neurological disease affecting young adults in Canada. Approximately 50,000
                    Canadian men and women have the disease and each day approximately three more people are diagnosed. MS is most often diagnosed in people between the ages of 20 to 40 years of age.

About Bayer HealthCare AG

Bayer HealthCare AG, a subsidiary of Bayer AG, is one of the world's
                    leading, innovative companies in the health care and medical products
                    industry. In 2004, the Bayer HealthCare subgroup generated sales amounting to some 8.5 billion Euro.

The company combines the global activities of the divisions Animal
                    Health, Biological Products, Consumer Care, Diabetes Care, Diagnostics and
                    Pharmaceuticals. Bayer HealthCare employed 35,300 people worldwide in 2004.
                    Bayer HealthCare's aim is to discover and manufacture innovative products
                    that will improve human and animal health worldwide. The products enhance
                    well-being and quality of life by diagnosing, preventing and treating disease.

This news release contains forward-looking statements based on current
                    assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group Management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material
                    differences between the actual future results, financial situation,
                    development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in our public reports filed with the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (including our Form 20-F). The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments....
                    Rest of story:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../20/c3538.html

Comment

Accepting applications for roommates. Females preferred.

Shaun has a nicer house, but I live downtown.
                      www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Originally posted by c0ldhart
                        As for living in the South... (i'm from Kentucky) it's the cash crop!!! I'm sure you're being respectful to your parents... but if you decide to move out, it is REALLY easy to get...hahahaha!!
                        Hmm, well the herb in the NW is notoriously powerful and plentiful, but I've talked to a couple of guys I know around here and they warned me about the local grass, said it was fugly and would put hair in my throat. Word on the street is that bud around these parts is generally mexican dirt weed, though because of my current situation I haven't seriously looked into it. My bro lived in Florida for a while and said that decent herb was excessively expensive. I would think herb would be similar all over the country as I would assume most of it is grown indoors, but rumor has it that is not the case.
                        De Omnibus Dubitandum

Comment

(N)SATIVEX® -- Product Monograph

Originally posted by MrSoul
                          I believe this is the tincture/spray that is being discussed.

Who wants to move to Canada?

...snip...
                          (N)SATIVEX® -- Product Monograph
                          Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comment

Is alot of public support for MMJ. our government is controllled by big $$$$ and they dont really give a damn {unless is one of them or a loved one}about people in pain from SCI, cancer, MS, or whatever,They would rather not even think about us, if we smoke pot for pain then they have a excuse to throw us in jail. Just like they did Jonathan Magbie the quad,they killed him http://www.cpmission.com/main/painpolitics/magbie.html

DEA is mush like hittlers SS

Comment

It takes less than 4 months to grow a pound of Indica KGB hi-grade in a 4 x 6 foot closet. Goes for $400 an oz in Florida. A 1000watt HPS lamp, ventilation, good seeds and a little effort. Then it's just like watching grass grow!

Some people make hash oil out of the generally useless leaf and bottom bud. You just mix the cut-up scrap with 99% isopropyl alcohol and let it soak awhile, strain out the solids, pour it into a glass casserole pan and let the alcohol evaporate for about a week. If you let it evaporate all the way you get the consistency of tar. To make it easier to handle and smoke you can mix some good bud in with it. Or you can just let it evaporate half way or so and get a type of tincture from it.

Anything you ever wanted to know about herb is right here.
                              "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Working...
                              X