Lyrica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lyrica

I started Lyrica too and immediate carvings for food. Not for me . I went thru 40lbs of Neurontin , so must move on to something else . Romayne you said you dont have any side effects , have you gotten on the scales lately.
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

Comment

Razzle51,

My appitite is the same but remember I am only on 100mg a day.

Gene In New Jersey

Comment

I'm at about 5 weeks on lyrica- my current dose is 350 per day (200 am, 150 pm). It's giving me excellent nightime pain control (from 8-9 down to 4-5 on a 10 point scale). Daytime control is another issue. My night time pain is the classic "boiling in oil," but daytime has more of an electrical/abrasion quality. My neurologist is slowly increasing dosage, in hopes of avoiding a second med.

Sides- a little somnolence - mostly fades 2-3 days after dosage increases. A bit of insomnia, feelings of high energy. A little loss of balance, gross motor skills (not a strong point for me anyhow).

Scary proof of effectiveness: Forgot my AM dose Christmas day, drove 1.5 hours to Christmas dinnner. The drive home in the early evening was one of the worst pain experiences of my life. I now carry an "emergency supply in my jacket.

David
        A Conservative government is an organised hypocrisy.
        Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

Romayae I am only on 100 mg a day too.
          SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

-anonymous

Comment

Razzle,

This is my 20th day at 100Mg per day of Lyrica. No side effects whatsoever and no pain relief whatsoever. I stilll eat about the same, in fact, perhaps a little less because of the pain. My doctor has gone away until the 4th of January at which time I will tell him I want to titerate my dosage upwards and slowly get to 300mg's a day. Also, I started physical therapy last week, 3 sessions so far, and of course I am suffering from that as I am getting great hands-on manual physical therapy, not just a bunch of exercises to do. Oh Well, as the Navy Seals say: "Pain is weakness leaving the body". But I am not nor was I ever a Navy Seal, I was in the Air Force. LOL

Have a great one everyone,

Gene in New Jersey

Comment

Lyrica

Wish all the best with the med . Happy New YEAR . Roz
              SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

-anonymous

Comment

I started taking Lyrcia 2 wks ago. I haven't noticed any change but I am only taking 75mgs at night. I want to up the dose. I take 400mgs of Neurotin 4 times a day for years. I don't know if it helps or not. Now from what I understand the Lyrica is suppose to do the same thing Neurotin does. So why take both. I think my Dr want to up my dose of L. and see about slowly getting off N. I hope so. If it helps my appetite I will be glad.
                Mary
                I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
                Van Morrison

Comment

Now at 450 a day (150mg tid). With this increase no new sides or problems (except perhaps that I get a bit rubbery at hour 2 to 3 after each dose. I'm getting better than ever night pain control (now a 3, was originally 8 or 9 on a 0-10 scale). But I'm still having problems with daytime neuropathic pain.

David
                  Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

DavidHH - Any updates on your experience with Lyrica? Simon switched over to 300 MG of Lyrica two times a day from 900 MG of Neurontin four times a day. It took about a week and a half to make the switchover but he is now on Lyrica only. He hasn't noticed a change in the pain level yet but really likes the idea that he'll only have to take 2 capsules a day instead of 12. Our insurance company should like it too. It's way cheaper in the long run. I just hope that it works for Simon.

Comment

Still holding at 150mg tid (450 mg per day) with fair to good nighttime relief and poor daytime relief. I talk to my neurologist this week - so it may change.

David
                      Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

I just started to take Lyrica 4 weeks ago. I'm currently on 50mg 3x's daily.
                        I usually take it at 8 a..m, 2 p..m., and 8 p.m. I have missed a couple of pills in between over the 4 weeks but have honestly noticed no difference in my neuropathic pain.
                        I have however noticed that if I don't have a bm for a couple of days the burning in my feet and calves is tremendous. 8 on a scale of 1-10.
                        Is it possible that being constipated can cause all this pain. If I watch what I eat and keep the stool soft then I have really no pain, but if the stool becomes firm then the burning increases and my stomach becomes very tight and painful.
                        I'm T-10 complete. Just wondering what others thoughts are on this. -Ed-

Comment

I was also on Lyrica 50mg 3X a day for several weeks after getting off Neurontin (12 capsules a day) neither of which seemed to do anything for the burning pain. I feel like my hands and feet swelled and even my eyesight was blurring with the Lyrica so I'm weaning myself off it totally to see if there's a change. Thank goodness for elavil which I take 50mg at bedtime and sleep like a log (do logs "sleep"?). I'm wondering if a lower doseage during the day (10 mg) will temper the burning. I do know it's what causes the sweet tooth! Have not really considered the effects on the stool.

Comment

Lyrica

I am gradually taking Lyrica and increasing it slowly because I am so sensitive to meds with side effects..have a lot of anxiety from bad experience in the past from medication. I started with 25 mg for two weeks and now up to trying 75 mg for two weeks. I am taking it for a burning sensatioin in my arms and upper torso. I am also taking Ativan .50 mg three times a day. I have a lot of side effects but trying to tolerate them. I am going to try and hang in there. Seems like every time I increase I feel great the first day and then the side effects kick in for days....then I start to feel better again....not great but better. Then it is time for another increase. Seems like it is going to be a slow process. With taking the Lyrica at 75 mg at bedtime isn't really even the recommended dose to work for the burning. My goal is to get at the right dosage of Lyrica, stop the Ativan and get on an antidepressant. I am not sure how the Pschyitraist that is handling the med portion is going to do this yet. Would love to hear any suggestions? Thank you

Originally posted by Romayne
                            Hi all...

I just found this forum and found it is quite good so I just joined and am posting my first post. I have been on Lyrica for 6 days now, first 5 days were one 50mg at bedtime and then 2 a day for a total of 100mg daily. No side effects or anything yet, but I know it may take time to get working if it does. I am also on Xanax, .50mg as needed and 100mg Zoloft once a day. So, glad to meet you all and I hope I can learn something by coming here and/or, in someway, be a benefit to the forum.

Gene in New Jersey
                            Last edited by Blinky; 06-19-2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

i habve had a really starnge time on lyrica so far.

i had been on neurontin a few years ago and neveer ever had any sort of side effects til they upped the final dosage to 3600mgs and my vision blurred.then when I started at my PM he switched me from neurontin to Gabitril,allthat did was want to make me sleep,constantly and ened up only taking it at night.it remained a great sleep aid(still made me horribly tired even after two years on it,wierd really)so i continued you take it despite the fatc that it did nothing for my actual pain,anywhere.well I started lyrica like the week before last and I have had some of the best affects on my pain and even the swelling in my RSD knee went down about halfway,that in itself was truely amazing as nothing has even touched that swelling in over two and half years since i was actually Dxed with RSD in my knee.this also for the first time,had a true affect on the level of my central pain in my L arm an shoulder blades.

now the down side.after just the initial dose i took at around 8;00pm after I taperd off the gab,well both of the bottoms of my feet just started burning about an hour after I took that initial dose.what was really the wierdest tho was I had never ever had any sort of actual problems with my L leg or foot before of any kind,despite the fact that I do have a vasomotor malfunction in both legs.just wierd.

but the next morning,i noticed some of the swelling in my lower leg(which is not too bad but still there)went down and that part for the first time in a very long time,actually looked normal,totally normal when compared to my L one.wow i was impressed.then the next day after dose two before bed,the knee swelling went down about half.the thing is tho by the second nights dose,about an hour after it,both of my legs just really started to ache like crazy.never had this before either.both legs had a deep bone/muscle type ache that normally is just in my RSD knee,in the head of the femur.

after I added the second pill per day after the initial three days on just the one nighttime dose,things kinda hit the fan.exactly three-four hours or so after i took that morning dose,all of the sudden,like out of no where,my vision got just horrible and i started to get double vision but only in my L eye which has horners syndrome.then i started walking like I had just drank a six pack or something.i was stumbling around and running accidently into walls and stuff.geez it was just like a severe drunk or something.then around 11;00,like clockwork,those symptoms would just dissapate away for the day.strange,really as this little scenerio just kept on repeating itself for the next three days.on that third day i was supposed to have started that third pill so my total daily would have been 150 mgs.well I ended up calling my pm and was told to drop the second pill and not to even attempt to add that third one til I could actually sit down with my PM and discuss this.so I am currently just on the one nite time 50mgs.and in kind of a holding pattern til the 6th of july wwhen I see my pm again.

what really bums me out is that this is the first and only med that has had any real effect on my pain levels at my worst two spots.the central and the RSD,and I had more energy and my BMs finally were moving sooo much better as before that i have been suffering with horrid constipation.i really really want to try and stick with it,but man my eye and balance/co ordination thing is just soo flippin bad.what I do not understand at all is just the cyclic nature of my side effects.they never ever deviated from the take my meds at 5;30am,then at between like 8;30-9;00am,bam instant drunk and totally blurry/double vision crap just hit.then around 11;00,boom it was all gone but left me with a spaced out feeling during the rest of the day.

this stuff also made my kidneys kind of 'swell'?and actually moved my R kidney more to the front now/right along the lower to mid rib cage.i amgetting a renal oUS done this week to see for sure how it is actually lying in there.but once i dropped that second pill,the majority of the swelling went down but i still can feel that kidney there only not quite as pronounced as before.i have polycystic kidney disease but i just happened to have both my kidney and liver labs done two days before I started the lyrica and amazingly,despite the very definite cystic damage to both the kidneys and the liver,all of my labs are still within the norm ranges.go figure.

i know that lyrica is metabolized mostly in the kidneys but wow I never expected that to happen.nothing has ever actually made my kidneys swell like that (except for the ongoing creation of the polyglobs of cysts).but this was a very sudden onset that actually went down once i went back to just my nite time dose.

I for the life of me tho would love to know just why my major side effects would follow a particular cycle like that??its really bizarre.

after reading the Rxing lit,wow this,like every other anti siezure med,has some pretty devitating possible side effects to it.but these are seem to be way beyond the kind of "normal" type of the anti S type meds.it states as a rare side effect something called cerebellar syndrome?this is in the area of the brain(the cerebellum) that governs eye movements and balance and co ordination.i got a bit freaked when I looked that up as this was my side effects.does anyone know anything about this particular syndrome?it seems kind of freaky that my side effcts are totally seeming to be like this exact syndrome,ya know/i also have my aneurysm coiled that actually sits right inside the left superior cerebellar artery,just seeing the cerebellar kind of freaks me out,like could there possibly be some sort of a connection there?doc Wise?any clue to this??

I am hoping now when I go back to my PM that I will be able to easily add the second pill to my already one at night.I would be more than happy to just take the good effects I can obtain at two without even attempting the third,just to have SOME affectation finnally on my worst pain areas.I just cannot handle those devistating side effects.I would never ever even be able to attempt to actually drive myself anywhere on this morning dose if I had to.

oh,just wondering about something rather odd here.for those of you who have ever suffered from some sort of blurry vision or a bit of double vision?i had a really wierd type of double(kind of more of a "superimposed)vision.instead of it being from like a side to side type of thing.mine was up and down.is there any significance to seeing it up and down as opposed from the normalside to side type of double vision?i have had double vision before fromcertain things but it had always been side to side,never up and down,well mostly up,like something was lying on top of whatI was looking at but only slightly moved up?like it was just moved like a half an inch upwards/i don't know how else to explain it but was just wondering if seeing thing upwards like that had any special significance as in this being an affectation or indication of something specific?its probably normal but it just seemd a bit odd to me.

sorry this ws another one of my 'rambles" just wnated to add my bizarre experience with this stuff to the mix.marcia

Comment

Hi all, I have switched from Neurontin 600 mg 4 times a day with an incress if high pain up to 3600 mg a day. After ten years of being on it I was switched to Lyrica 150 mg 2 x day, I continued with my neurontin but had cut back to 600mg 2 times per day. I did in the start had felt a great amount of engery, and was able to do more. After I was told to stop the nurontin and just the lyrica I had little effect with this and noticed my levels of pain getting higher and un able to block out. My left arm started to begain to shake with out control. My fingers before only ring and little always felt like needles and pin now all fingers have this feeling. My dose was incressed to 75 mg more at night, then additional 75 mg in the day also which brought me up to 225 mg 2x daily. I still have not received the same freedom of a day with out pain. I wear out much faster and take cat naps during the day. I have had no problems with vision. Now I was given additoinal 75mg to take at night It just seems not to have the effect. I am now starting to have the pains which I had before being on Neurontin in 94. I am often dropping forks while trying to eat, I have greater loss of feeling beside the tingeling in arm at a constance. The area where damaged center of left back, and base of left neck have incressed back to orginial time of injury. I meet with my pain doctor in early October and will request to be replaced back on neurontin.

I do not know why I have not had such little effect with this drug. I had tried very hard the entire summer to keep my weight down, which I had dropped 46 pounds by diet and biking ( only able to ride sitting down and on level ). Has anyone lost a lot of weight do you think this would of had an effect for the drug to work correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X