No announcement yet.

I Had The Drez / It Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in Raleigh, have debilitating neuro pain and can not find a good SCI doctor. Is dr. Bullard someone I can have as an SCI doctor instead of having a rehab doc? I'm in the triangle and you'd figure I'd be able to find one. I need a doc who knows allllot about central pain. I'm only 1.5 yrs post so trying to avoid DREZ. But it's sooo tempting.
    Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
    www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
    www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

Hi Folks,

I am completely new to this forum but had a SCI T12/L1 in 1985 and have significant back and hip pain. I have tried many different options and have had really no success outside of the local anesthesia used in some of the procedures which lends itself (in my mind) to the idea that the DREZ procedure could be an effective option for me. Does anyone know of a doctor in the Philly area doing this work?
      Last edited by Monoski; 11 Oct 2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Pain Relief

Originally posted by Sgttibs View Post
        I've been reading all the threads about the DREZ procedure. I was informed today that my 19yr old daughter was not a candidate for the dorsal column stimulator for her pain but this procedure may help. It looks scary for anyone but she is 19 and suffered a brachial plexus injury when she was 2 1/2. Chronic pain began at age 14 and has completely devastated her life. She dropped out of school, is on a slew of medicines and suffers from depression and anxiety. She was on oxy30's and when her tolerance peaked she turned to heroin. She is illegal drug free except for pot which calms her and helps her sleep. She is at her end with the pain and doesn't want to turn to street drugs again but no dr will give her opiates due to her addiction history. She rarely gets out of bed anymore. Given the fact that she is so young does anyone have any encouraging news? I am desperate to help her because I think her pain will cause her to self medicate and she will spiral out of control.

I came across your your post when I was researching a procedure. I'm not sure how your daughter is doing? But I have the same injury and deal with awful pain too. I am getting a procedure called a DREZ (dorsal root entry zone). The results are pretty good in terms of pain relief . Maybe you should look into this.
        My doctor is Dr. Alan Belzberg at Johns Hopkins. Look into it. I hope your daughter is coping with this God-awful pain

Comment

This person has not visited our forums since the day this was posted in 2012, so extremely unlikely they will see your post or respond.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SZAENNU View Post
            I came across your your post when I was researching a procedure. I'm not sure how your daughter is doing? But I have the same injury and deal with awful pain too. I am getting a procedure called a DREZ (dorsal root entry zone). The results are pretty good in terms of pain relief . Maybe you should look into this.
            My doctor is Dr. Alan Belzberg at Johns Hopkins. Look into it. I hope your daughter is coping with this God-awful pain

SZAENNU, How did your procedure go? Any relief from the pain? I'm aiming to get in w/Dr Belzberg at Johns Hopkins by March of this year. 15 years of grinding teeth into dust has to end soon. I've got a brachial plexus injury as well.

Comment

The first 5-6 years after my DREZ were great. No pain. No spams. I felt like a king able to move mountains. I probably achieved more in those years than any other period in my life. Then both slowly crept back, but not to the same extent as pre-DREZ. I now manage the pain and spasms with a baclofen pump. That really should have been my first choice. But when I had the DREZ in 1993, the pump had been around for just a few years and I wanted it to be a more mature technology before getting it. Today, people should consider getting the pump before a DREZ. They can put other stuff in there besides baclofen for pain.

By the way, as a result of removing a segment of bone from your spine, another side effect of DREZ is scoliosis, which has it's own problems including possibility for more pain and spasms and shoulder injury. Be careful.

Comment

Working...
              X