Accidental overdoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental overdoses

Just curious to see if any of you with pain problems taking pain killers have accidentally overdosed. One night I had severe back pain and was not keeping track of my dosages of darvocet, fentanyl, clonipen and xanax. I was trying to sleep the pain away. This was shortly after I had my bac. pump installed and was recovering from roughly 4 months hospitalization at home.Luckily a home health care nursed dropped in to see how I was doing.I just remember waking up in the hospital with a black tounge, mouth from charcoal. When your groggy and sleepy it was easy to do. WR

u are a very blessed man, john. i just stumbled upon this post. thank god for that nurse.
    alice [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

joy
    "You've got to learn to love the little things in life in order to be happy, like a sip of whiskey in the evening or a beautiful morning sunrise."
    ~Gus McRae, "Lonesome Dove"
    "Now, the only healthy way to live life, as I see it, is to enjoy all the little everyday things, like a sip of whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, or a cool breeze on a hot day." -Gus McCrae, from Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry

ChloeMagazine
    AccessibleProperties

Comment

I overdosed on klonipin, flexeril, vicodin, and xanax...thats what caused my SCI. Please be VERY careful!!! You are very lucky the nurse found you! No telling what kind of damage could have been done otherwise! Stay safe...

C5-C7 Walking Quad
      Tina
      C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
      Aug '03

Comment

Originally posted by TINAMARIE:

I overdosed on klonipin, flexeril, vicodin, and xanax...thats what caused my SCI. Please be VERY careful!!! You are very lucky the nurse found you! No telling what kind of damage could have been done otherwise! Stay safe...

C5-C7 Walking Quad

How did you get a SCI from overdosing on drugs? Where you abusing them?

faster than a speeding ticket
        http://www.adamsmith.name

Comment

Thank God you cannot overdose from medical marijuana.and has never been a death from it recorded in the usa,1000 a yr die from asprin...you can control how much you need, if you do to much you will just clean out the fridge.
          Old sci friends that have used pot insted of other meds are in alot better shape then people messed up from other meds over the years.
          I would NEVER think of ever taking vicodin,xanax,darvocet,fentanyl,clonipen, ect,ect,ect it is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by solarscar69:

Originally posted by TINAMARIE:

C5-C7 Walking Quad

How did you get a SCI from overdosing on drugs? Where you abusing them?

faster than a speeding ticket

Well, I guess an overdose could be considered abuse. It caused an ischemic stroke in my spinal cord.

C5-C7 Walking Quad
            Tina
            C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
            Aug '03

Comment

Originally posted by Brian:

Thank God you cannot overdose from medical marijuana.and has never been a death from it recorded in the USA,1000 a yr die from asprin...you can control how much you need, if you do to much you will just clean out the fridge.
              Old sci friends that have used pot instead of other meds are in alot better shape then people messed up from other meds over the years.
              I would NEVER think of ever taking vicodin,xanax,darvocet,fentanyl,clonipen, ect,ect,ect it is crazy.
              Brian, you are fortunate that marijuana works well for you on your pain. for many people it doesn't work. i am fortunate that acupuncture has in the long run worked well for me and reduced my need for other pain medications.
              cauda equina

Comment

metronycguy

How many acupuncture treatments did you have? Do you still have them? Simon was having 2 treatments a week, then 1 a week. He had his last treatment a week ago because there didn't seem to be a difference in the pain level. We think he had less swelling in his feet and he wasn't getting heartburn quite so often.

Have any of the rest of you had luck with acupuncture?

mrsnomis
                (spouse of imnomis T-12 incomplete)

Comment

whiterabbit11

How scary for you. You've got to keep track of what you're taking if there is no one at home to track it with you. Just be careful!

Si felt like he had an overdose after taking just one Elavil. It put him out for over 15 hours and he had to force himself to get up at that. He hasn't taken another one since. I think it helped with the pain, but he prefers having the pain to losing himself.

By the way, I'm pretty dense sometimes. What is the charcoal all about?

mrsnomis
                  (spouse of imnomis T-12 incomplete)

Comment

imnomis
                    acupuncture i go 2x a week for almost 3 years now.
                    i believe it took a while to get effects at least a month for initial.
                    i was able to stop the anti seizure meds about 6 months ago.

how much elavil was your spouse taking? it makes you sleepy. so its best to take in evening before bed. 10 to 20 mg works well for neuropain, at least for me. the sleepiness during daytime is supposed to get better(hopefully) after a couple weeks.
                    cauda equina

Comment

I never use too, but now I can see where it could happen, Last night my tailbone area hurt so bad that I could have taken more pain medicine and not thought a thing about it. I hurt so bad that all you want to do is just get rid of the pain I use a duralgesic 25 McGram patch and 5/500 mg of Lortab, They don't seem to be working at all anymore, not to mention the burning from my feet.

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Comment

Originally posted by metronycguy:

Brian, you are fortunate that marijuana works well for you on your pain. for many people it doesn't work. i am fortunate that acupuncture has in the long run worked well for me and reduced my need for other pain medications.
                        I know it does not work for a few it makes pain worse but I would say 80 percent of sci I have met it works well..

Marijuana is safe. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Administrative Law Judge, Francis L. Young stated in his 1988 ruling, "Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known.

Marijuana can be used to treat a variety of conditions. Approved by approved voter initiative in 1998, the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act allows for the use of marijuana to treat cancer, glaucoma, AIDS/HIV, cachexia, severe pain, severe nausea, seizures (epilepsy), and persistent muscle spasms (Multiple Sclerosis). Currently, more than 300 Oregon physicians participate in this program.

Marijuana is not a "gateway" drug. According to the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine, "There is no evidence that marijuana serves as a stepping stone [to other drugs of abuse] on the basis of its particular physiological effect...It does not appear to be a gateway drug to the extent that it is the cause or even that it is the most significant predictor of serious drug abuse." Source: Joy, Janet E., Stanley J. Watson, Jr., and John A. Benson, Jr. Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base for the Division of Neuroscience and Behavioral Research, Institute of Medicine. (Washington DC: National Academy Press, 1999), Chapter 3, pp. 98-100.

Medical groups support marijuana. Numerous prestigious medical organizations support access to medical marijuana. These include American Academy of Family Physicians, American Preventive Medical Association, American Public Health Association, American Society of Addiction Medicine, Lymphoma Foundation of America, National Association of People with AIDS, National Women's Health Network, and the New England Journal of Medicine.

Comment

Brian, I've been reading your posts about the benefits of marijuana for quite a while now and have never responded. Also, reading about and listening to members describe their suffering has finally penetrated a very stubborn, fossilized portion of my brain.

I don't suffer with chronic pain, but I've suffered with pain for various reasons at different times in my life. Never once did I consider using marijuana. It was illegal! It was what we did during our "young, wild" days. It was for democrats! LOL [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I had one surgeon tell me I was "a cheap drunk" meaning that it took the minimum anethesia to knock me out. Same with pain killers. I'm sure I'd be one of those who could easily OD without meaning to. Lortab, hydrocodone, percocet ... those drugs knock me on my butt, make hallucinate, have crazy dreams, and feel more like an inmate in an asylum. I hate them.

Your point that you can't OD on marijuana struck a nerve with me. Except for overeating, there really is no serious, life threatening side effect. It's natural! God put it on this earth, and I'm sure he had a good reason.

All that to say, brian, is you've convinced a once conservative republican that the legalization of marijuana is necessary in this country. It's ridiculous that tobacco, alcohol, etc. are legal and kills thousands every year. Marijuana just takes the pain away.

Comment

I am going to step off my normally conservative, anti-hippi platform.

We (America) have fallen behind the rest of our community when it comes to research involving extracts of THC. A big reason we have fallin behind is the Bible thumping ultra-conservative jackasses out there. Now I did not say the 'whole' reason, for those nit-pickers out there.

We need to allow it, just as we do a prescription drug. It needs to be medically controlled and taxed like other pharmaceuticals. This is to insure that it has a consistant purety, and that it would be accessable. We would make the insurance companies and Medicare/Medicade pay for it. This is the only forseable option!

Now back to my podium...

Comment

Original martha2

All that to say, brian, is you've convinced a once conservative republican that the legalization of marijuana is necessary in this country. It's ridiculous that tobacco, alcohol, etc. are legal and kills thousands every year. Marijuana just takes the pain away.
                              I really convinced someone [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
                              I used to think pot was really really bad like the government said but from my own experiance and research I have learned they are liers, how can you trust them if they arrest sick and dieing people????? what else are they lying about?? Bush said before he was elected it was up to states to decide about it, then after he changed his mind.
                              I am not some stoned out of my mind hippie
                              using mmj when i need to improves my life, if Bush and his friends want me and others to suffer, I would say his higher power is Satan

Comment

Working...
                              X